Road Trip - Croatia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road Trip - Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA/AA
If you're planning on travelling in Slovenia, northern Italy, or the within the Istrian Peninsula in Croatia, you should check out GoOpti. It's a bit like Uber, but joins passengers with similar travel times and plans in the same vehicle, and at a low price.

Here's their website, linked to the map of where their service covers.

https://www.goopti.com/en/
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jaymar01
If you're planning on travelling in Slovenia, northern Italy, or the within the Istrian Peninsula in Croatia, you should check out GoOpti. It's a bit like Uber, but joins passengers with similar travel times and plans in the same vehicle, and at a low price.

Thanks for posting this.

I took a look for a 2 person transfer from Pula to Rovinj. It looks like they have a 90 minute pickup window when you reserve, and text you the exact time the day before. Best price for the day I checked was 20 euros. I looked at the cost of a bus and its 70 kuna (about $12 US) for 2 people. Perhaps there's a convenience factor to not having to deal with bus stations, but I'm not sure I love the price and pickup window, especially for an airport pickup or drop off.

It certainly looks cheaper than a taxi though, could be a viable alternative if the buses aren't convenient.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Please post your near-final itinerary when you can. I'll try to do the same. Maybe we'll be able to help each other finish it off by seeing the itineraries.
Absolutely! We still have a few legs prior to Croatia that we need to plan but I will certainly sound out once we have things sorted!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
Very helpful post, thank you!

I think we've ruled out Zagreb and Dubrovnik. I'd love to go to both, but just too much for one trip. My first post was really the beginning of planning and I knew we'd narrow it down. Right now we're thinking Istrian Penninsula, Split (and islands/day trips), and Mostar. Perhaps Sarajevo. We'd also like to see Plitvice Lakes. It's still too much in my opinion, but the plan is to narrow it down to a final set of locations this weekend and then start to form it into an itinerary. Split is the one place that HAS to be in our itinerary, it's the most interesting to us.

Anyway, we'd probably fly in/out of Pula or Split and go from there. If we work Sarajevo in, that might be out final destination instead. Did you have any problems taking a rental car into Bosnia? I assume you at least went through there on the way to DBV. I noticed it's not a bad bus ride from Split=>Mostar=>Sarajevo, so was considering that rather than a car. Avoids a different country drop off and I doubt parking would be fun in any of those cities.

we didn't have any problems transferring through Bosnia on our way to Dubrovnik, but it was just a quick passthrough for us....there are border guards at each entrance/exit, but just bring your passport and it should be fine...

you may consider Krka national park instead of Plitvice.....just an hour or so outside of Split (either en route from Istria, or as a day trip) so it could save time, and it'll also be less crowded than Plitvice which I understand gets a heavy influx from tour buses during the day
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jaymar01

I can vouch for GoOpti as well....this is how we solved our transfer issue between Italy and Croatia.....train from Venice to Trieste, and then picked up with GoOpti to take us from Trieste, through Slovenia/Koper, and eventually to Pula where we picked up our rental car
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:00 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. We settled on a very high-level itinerary and booked our flights this weekend. Thought I'd share here as others are planning too. When we have a final itinerary I'll re-post. If anyone has a great hidden gem (outside the big tourist sites) we shouldn't miss in any of these locations, please post! Generally, we enjoy history, old architecture, beautiful scenery/landscapes, anything related to the ocean and beaches, good food (from Michelin all the way down to awesome street food), and good wine and drinks. Walking tours over bus tours. Generally exploring and enjoying new places on our own rather than big groups.

Note, this isn't necessarily the final order, it's a rough draft. But we know that we are flying into Split and out of Dubrovnik.

Day 1 - Arrive in Split
2 - Explore Split and the tourist sites
3 - Either ferry to an island (Hvar or Brac) OR do a full day island tour
4 - Ferry to Korcula
5 - Explore Korcula
6 - Morning ferry to Dubrovnik
7 - Drive to Mostar
8 - Return to Dubrovnik
9 - Either day trip to Bay of Kotor or stay in Dubrovnik, going to make this decision while we're there
10 - Departure from DBV

Lots to figure out still, but would appreciate any preliminary thoughts!

Last edited by JBord; Mar 19, 2018 at 7:37 pm Reason: Updating Itinerary
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We flew into DUB and flew out of Zagreb.

Dubrovnik 3 days and 3 nights.

Ferry to Korcula for 2 days and 2 nights
Ferry from Korcula to Hvar for 2 and 2.
Ferry from Hvar to Split for 3 and 3.

Fly from Split to Zagreb ($70 USD).

As you can see, we didn't rent a car. We did do a day trip tour to Plitviza Park (a special place) from Split. You can also bus there from Zagreb. Our trip was late June/early July.

The above looks simple, but the planning process to get to this points was . I certainly had to work at this vacation. The ferry schedules are a killer to figure out. The are several different lines providing service. This isn't like the Staten Island ferry in NY that offers frequent service. I'm talking about 2 boats a week in some instances. I had to figure out our schedule, then re-figure it. In some cases I could have taken a car ie DUB/SPU (Split), but that would have meant backtracking. As it stands now, we're always headed in a northerly direction. FYI, the boat between DUB and KOR can take 2.5 - 4 hours, depending on the ferry line, and day you pick. Oye.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
We flew into DUB and flew out of Zagreb.

Dubrovnik 3 days and 3 nights.

Ferry to Korcula for 2 days and 2 nights
Ferry from Korcula to Hvar for 2 and 2.
Ferry from Hvar to Split for 3 and 3.

Fly from Split to Zagreb ($70 USD).

As you can see, we didn't rent a car. We did do a day trip tour to Plitviza Park (a special place) from Split. You can also bus there from Zagreb. Our trip was late June/early July.

The above looks simple, but the planning process to get to this points was . I certainly had to work at this vacation. The ferry schedules are a killer to figure out. The are several different lines providing service. This isn't like the Staten Island ferry in NY that offers frequent service. I'm talking about 2 boats a week in some instances. I had to figure out our schedule, then re-figure it. In some cases I could have taken a car ie DUB/SPU (Split), but that would have meant backtracking. As it stands now, we're always headed in a northerly direction. FYI, the boat between DUB and KOR can take 2.5 - 4 hours, depending on the ferry line, and day you pick. Oye.
I think you mean DBV!

I'm finding the same thing as I research transportation. As a result, we changed our itinerary to go to Mostar as a day trip from Split, and we'll go with a tour instead of doing it on our own. A little more expensive, but solved the transportation headaches.

I'm seeing daily ferries to our destinations, but perhaps it's because we're going during high season. That said, the scheduled times aren't always ideal, and there isn't much choice. For example, if we miss the 10:10 ferry Korcula-Dubrovnik, the next one isn't until 8 pm (on a Sunday). Another example, from Split to Korcula, our best options are leaving at 7:40 am, arriving 10 am, or leaving at 5 pm, arriving at 8 pm. Neither are great when you consider check-in/check-out times and dragging luggage around. So the advice for anyone else planning a trip is remember to plan out your transportation times in advance too.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:56 am

We flew in to Split, spent a few days there, and then drove from Split to Dubrovnik with a detour to Mostar along the way. That drive, including the detour and a quick (like, 1-2 hour) stop on Mostar took probably 8 hours. The road from Split to Dubrovnik is absolutely beautiful, winds along the coast, but there's a section that goes through the hills that's just one lane each way and traffic came to a standstill. You will also have to go through border control twice, even if you don't do the Mostar detour. The quick detour to Mostar just showed us what a tourist trap the famous bridge is. If you're going to make the trip, then it's worth it to stay longer and explore beyond that part of town.

We adored both Split and Dubrovnik, driving was easy, the roads were good, the food and people were fantastic. I would love to do some ferry trips next time around.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
I am also in the middle of planning a 3 week road trip around Croatia for the first 3 weeks of September. Our itinerary is:
Fly into ZAG and drive to Fuzine (grandparents immigrated from here early 1900's). (1 night)
Drive from Fuzine to Ravinj (stay 3 nights)
Drive from Ravinj to Split with an overnight in Zadar (considering maybe a car ferry from the Istrian peninsula to Zadar). Or should we go to Krk for an overnight?)
Possibly 2 nights in Sibenik?
5 to 6 nights in Split, at which point we intend to give up the car (I think, unless someone thinks that's a dumb idea!)
Then 7 days or so around the islands. We figure we don't need the car for island travel?)
Anybody have island recommendations?? Brac, Hvar, Korcula??
We'll finish off with 2 days, one night in Dubrovnik and then fly back to Zagreb for a quick overnight near the airport and an early am departure.
I've booked Fusine, Ravinj and Split apartments through Air BnB. But haven't booked any island accommodations. We were thinking we might wait and book island accommodations once we got to Croatia. Is that a bad idea? Any feedback regarding this driving schedule? Are we being too ambitious?

JBord...happy to see you involved in this conversation...you were incredibly helpful with my Budapest trip planning last year. Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Geogirl1234

JBord...happy to see you involved in this conversation...you were incredibly helpful with my Budapest trip planning last year. Thanks!
Except this time I'm planning right along with you for my first trip!

Here's our revised itinerary. We were able to extend by a couple of days. This is about 95% final. Some comments on our findings during the planning at the end. Hope it helps the others here.

Day 1 - Arrive in Split
2 - Explore Split and the tourist sights
3 - Island/Blue Cave tour on a RIB boat
4 - Day trip to Mostar
5 - Day trip to Krka (we could still be persuaded to use this day for something else)
6 - Ferry to Korcula (Old Town)
7 - Lumbarda area, possibly visit a winery or two
8 - Korcula -- beach, ferry to Orebic, or anything else we discovered while there
9 - Ferry to Dubrovnik
10 - Dubrovnik sights
11 - Day trip to Bay of Kotor
12 - Departure from DBV

Notes:
- We decided on a tour to Mostar vs. going on out own. It just seemed easier and we were comfortable with the prices. There's about 2.5 hours of free time in Mostar, which is enough for us.
- Haven't decided on bus/tour/rental car for Krka yet. Anyone have a recommendation (and why)?
- Haven't decided on rental car or bus for Kotor yet. The bus looks easy enough and appears to be cheaper, but maybe the drive is worth being able to stop as we wish. Again, recommendations?
- We did a lot of research on islands. Originally had considered Hvar, but after reading about how it was big on nightlife, celebrities, yachts, etc., we decided that Korcula was more our speed for this trip.
- We decided on a hotel for Split, Airbnb for Korcula and Dubrovnik. For Korcula, specifically, we found some great Airbnb places with excellent reviews for excellent prices, when compared to the hotels on Korcula.
- We plan on renting scooters or bikes to get around Korcula.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Planning a similar trip mid-May for about a week, and would also like to get feedback on the itinerary, in terms of what may or may not be worth visiting given the time of year. I tend to over-plan so would like to not book much and take things as they come this time around. However, I don't see myself spending a few days in one of the cities but rather doing a road trip along the coast etc.

1. Arrive and spend the day and night in Dubrovnik
2. Drive to Kotor and spend a couple hours there and then to Mostar to spend the night there (5 hrs driving)
3. From Mostar to Split (potentially via Hvar, stopping there for a few hours) (5 hrs without the stop in Hvar)
4. Visit Split, Zadar and end up in Plitvice (4h 30)
5. Visit Plitvice early in the morning, then drive to Ljubljana for the evening/ night there (4h)
6. Ljubljana in the morning, drive to Zagreb (2h)
7. Depart from Zagreb in the afternoon
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ung1
Planning a similar trip mid-May for about a week, and would also like to get feedback on the itinerary, in terms of what may or may not be worth visiting given the time of year. I tend to over-plan so would like to not book much and take things as they come this time around. However, I don't see myself spending a few days in one of the cities but rather doing a road trip along the coast etc.

1. Arrive and spend the day and night in Dubrovnik
2. Drive to Kotor and spend a couple hours there and then to Mostar to spend the night there (5 hrs driving)
3. From Mostar to Split (potentially via Hvar, stopping there for a few hours) (5 hrs without the stop in Hvar)
4. Visit Split, Zadar and end up in Plitvice (4h 30)
5. Visit Plitvice early in the morning, then drive to Ljubljana for the evening/ night there (4h)
6. Ljubljana in the morning, drive to Zagreb (2h)
7. Depart from Zagreb in the afternoon
Your driving time plans are WAY off. You will be crossing borders multiple times; road conditions vary. There's no "stop" in Hvar, you need to get to Split, take a ferry, then take a ferry back. Considering the sailing time, that is a *day trip*.
There's no driving from Plitvice to Ljubljana, you need to get to Zagreb first, pass it, then continue to Ljubljana, then backtrace to Zagreb. This is easy a 10 to 14 days itinerary, unless you want to spend most of your time driving, and maybe a couple of hours in each city.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hdogan
Your driving time plans are WAY off. You will be crossing borders multiple times; road conditions vary. There's no "stop" in Hvar, you need to get to Split, take a ferry, then take a ferry back. Considering the sailing time, that is a *day trip*.
There's no driving from Plitvice to Ljubljana, you need to get to Zagreb first, pass it, then continue to Ljubljana, then backtrace to Zagreb. This is easy a 10 to 14 days itinerary, unless you want to spend most of your time driving, and maybe a couple of hours in each city.
Thanks. Re Hvar, there is a ferry from the other side, when driving from Mostar (Drverik to Sucuraj), which would avoid back tracking. Plitvice to Ljubljana the idea was to drive along the coast via Rijeka which is a detour but maybe more scenic.

What would you cut out?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ung1

What would you cut out?
As you can see from the thread, I don't have personal experience there yet, but just looking at your itinerary logically, and comparing your route to a map, I think I would cut out Ljubljana.

We really wanted to see Istria and Ljubljana but, after thinking it all through, decided that was best reserved for a separate trip. The travel time and the number of stops we'd want to make would have made it a whirlwind tour instead of a vacation where we felt we actually saw the region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.