Wiki Posts
Search

EU prohibits credit card surcharge [Air Travel]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

EU prohibits credit card surcharge [Air Travel]

From Politico Brussels Playbook --

A European Union law — known as the revised Payment Services Directive (or PSD2) — enters into force today, putting an end to surcharges on card payments, credit transfers and direct debits. Some countries are, however, refusing to implement the law until later in the year. The biggest winners will be airline customers, who will no longer be charged the standard €8 fee to buy tickets with a credit card rather than a debit card.

European Commission Vice President Valdis Dombrovskis said: “This could save more than €550 million per year for EU consumers. Monique Goyens, head of the European Consumer Organisation (BEUC), said: “Consumers across Europe will be happy they are rid of these irritating charges. Card surcharges meant you were paying to pay, and you never knew what you were paying until the final stage of the transaction.”
Shiv01 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I love how politicians say we're going to save money.

Expect airline tickets to rise incrementally to cover the cost.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Maybe the fares will increase, but nevertheless I welcome this legislation and hopefully it will put an end to these annoying credit card fees which in the past have been very difficult to avoid.

Now, if the politicians had also prohibited the DCC scam; I suppose it would only take a few high profile politicians to make reservations with Airbnb before something would be done about DCC too.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by KDS777

On the other hand, comparison will get somewhat easier if OTA can't charge surcharges if you pay with an other card than some obscure branded credit card. Edreams Odigeo has made an art of that practice.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
That's what it comes down to.

All types of these fees make it impossible to quickly compare pricing.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CC fees were a dinosaur anyway. Dating to a time when few people used them and there was no justification for spreading the interchange fees onto passengers who paid by other means. But, that is no longer.

Just as with all fees, there ought to be a published price which is easily seen online.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

If businesses didn't make more money splitting fees out, they wouldn't do it. See also: checked bag fees.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we move this post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Note that the law is not the same across the EU - the implementation depends on local laws. Because the Dutch and Belgian governments didn't pass the law on time creditcard surcharges are still legal in NL and BE. The scope also varies - while the EU guidelines exempted AMEX and others from the ban (so effectively only MasterCard and Visa are affected) the UK government has decided to ban all surcharges regardless of card.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
What is the purported justification for a cc fee but not a debit card?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:33 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by drewguy
What is the purported justification for a cc fee but not a debit card?
Simply €€€€ ...
Debit cards usually incur - depending on the country - a fixed processing fee (<1,-€) to the merchant using the system regardles of the amount.
And only when currency exchange is involved (not all EU member countries use €uro as their currency ...) the usual conversion expenses are added.

In comparison CC΄s incur significantly higher charges to the merchant (who passes them to the customer and likes to add some revenue to the transaction process ...)
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson

You're making a bit of a populist argument if you ask me.

I think this EU directive will increase price transparency considerably. It was a jungle out there, where sometimes the cheapest rates were only available on some obscure OTAs when using a certain obscure method of payment.

Now one may respond that price transparency need not result in lower prices. The main argument against it would be that higher price transparency also makes it easier for supplies to coordinate their prices (so-called collusion). However, the empirical literature so far suggests that prices (and price dispersion) is likely to fall in response to regulation resulting in higher price transparency.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
This EU regulation still needs to be transposed into each member state's individual laws, so some states will see this enter into force before others.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
All but the Netherlands and Belgium have managed to put this into national law, which went into effect on the 13th of this month.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by mfkne
All but the Netherlands and Belgium have managed to put this into national law, which went into effect on the 13th of this month.
Still not law in Portugal. TP is still charging surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.