Wiki Posts
Search

Drone regulation in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Post Drone regulation in Europe?

Hi experts
I will go on a vacation to Paris and Munich next month with my family, and thinking of bringing my drone with me to take picture and make home video (DJI Phantom 3 model). Is there any drone law in Europe I should be awared of before the trip ? Please advise, I dont want the cops / airport peeps confiscate my drone for any stupid reason

Hi Mod, if this is in the wrong forums, pleave move, thank you!!!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to Europe Forum
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:38 pm

drone-traveller.com

Looks to have a pretty comprehensive summary of European regulations.....which are apparently in quite a state of flux....
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
You can forget Paris. IIRC you'll need an authorisation and a licence to take a drone equipped with a camera to the skies within built-up areas or in proximity to groups of people.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi experts
I will go on a vacation to Paris and Munich next month with my family, and thinking of bringing my drone with me to take picture and make home video (DJI Phantom 3 model). Is there any drone law in Europe I should be awared of before the trip ? Please advise, I dont want the cops / airport peeps confiscate my drone for any stupid reason

Hi Mod, if this is in the wrong forums, pleave move, thank you!!!
The laws and regulations applicable vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction within Europe. What may even be allowed within a part of a given EU country may not even be allowed in a different part of the same given EU country.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
In Germany you need drone licences for drones over 2kg (~4.4pounds). Your drone should be below 2kg according to its techspecs. To get the license you have to take a written test. If you have a valid pilot license you don't need an extra drone licence. In addition there are additional rules regarding national parks, public areas, private areas, areas with people etc. So making pictures in Munich with your drone is a no-go. Your drone needs a fireproof name and address tag (over 250gramms or 0.5 pounds). Over 5kg you need a special permit in addition to your license. And at last you should have an insurance, otherwise it might get very costly if you have an accident with your drone.

Last edited by flyingfkb; Dec 31, 2017 at 8:16 am
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
In Germany you need drone licences for drones over 2kg (~4.4pounds). Your drone should be below 2kg according to its techspecs. To get the license you have to take a written test. If you have a valid pilot license you don't need an extra drone licence. In addition there are additional rules regarding national parks, public areas, private areas, areas with people etc. So making pictures in Munich with your drone is a no-go. Your drone needs a fireproof name and address tag (over 250gramms or 0.5 pounds). Over 5kg you need a special permit in addition to your license. And at last you should have an insurance, otherwise it might get very costly if you have an accident with your drone.
Second that. I am flying a Mavic in many places, and bought a thrid party liability insurance (check that it covers drones unto 5kg) for around 80 Euro/year. As for airports, no worries, no one cares, unless you try and put spare lithium batteries into the checked luggage (keep them in the hand luggage)
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Also be aware that privacy laws and regs in many EU countries are much more strict than what you have in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.