Wiki Posts
Search

4 hours in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
4 hours in AMS

I have a 4 hour layover at AMS, which I understand is probably a bit too tight for leaving the airport.
I have lounge access as a star alliance gold member, but are there other interesting things to do at the airport or nearby?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
you could have a look at the art exhibit
Analise likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
4 hours is a very short time to go into the city and back. I guess if you have an EU nationality and are traveling Schengen to Schengen they it may be possible to leave, take the train to Centraal - the main train station - hang out for 1 hour and then take a train back.
If you have to go through immigration in addition to security or if you are flying to the US or TLV then I would stay around the airport.
If you exit immigration there is a central hall at the airport with shops and a nice supermarket. You could buy some goodies.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:07 pm

If OP is travelling Schengen to Schengen, his nationality is irrelevant.
It would marginally make a difference if he has to go through immigration, but it's always a conundrum in AMS whether or not the e-gates will work and/or whether there will be a separate queue for EU nationals (and/or whether that queue will even be faster than the non-EU one)
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ditto
(and/or whether that queue will even be faster than the non-EU one)
The "non-EU line" is usable by anyone, after all it is labeled "All passports", so if that line is faster, just use it.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
The "non-EU line" is usable by anyone, after all it is labeled "All passports", so if that line is faster, just use it.
Of course, but it's not always easy/possible to say which one is faster until it's too late
My point was that for the OPs question, his nationality is mostly irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.