Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

A sector run this June to/from SKG... info on seeing Mt. Olympus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

This June I am comtemplating a sector run ATH-SKG, with a 2 or 3 day stopover in the SKG region. I am interested in seeing (but not climbing up) Mt. Olympus. Any info re: travel by rented car OR by an organized tour will be appreciated. Is there public transport (buses) in the area? Cheap/tourist-type hotels? Other areas/towns of interest?

FWIW, I travel low budget and prefer being near locals rather than near tourists. TIA.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:39 pm

If you only want to, literally, see Mt. Olympus the only thing you have to do is walk to the waterfront and look across the bay. The big white one is the one. If you want to get close to it (even if not wanting to clinb it), take the KTEL bus to Λιτόχωρο, a town located at the foot of the mountain, about 90 km from Thessaloniki. There are several buses a day and you can see the schedule here (scroll down to Litohoro in the To: window). If not raining, plan having lunch there...
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

This is a great start. The town of Litohoro was the way for search engines (Google) to open up all sorts of possibilities. Obviously (now as I see things) having lunch will be just the start of a nice couple of days - even if it rains to spoil the "view".
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
KTEL bus as well as train available to Litochoro. You can take a taxi from the train station to the town, where you can enjoy the fresh air and the view...
If you still want to make short hike, take a taxi to "Prionia" to the town. I did this walk in 2 hours with just regular shoes/clothing.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Done with the planning. I have a semester break in mid-April so will do my 4-segment run (rt IST - ATH - SKG) and have booked an AirB&B in the town (Litochoro). Decided to rent a SUV fof 2 days @ SKG to take care of getting around to the villages, etc.

I suspect the region will be "quieter" than in June. Hope the weather will be clear. Looking forward to some nice Greek foods ��

Now June is free for some long-distance bicycle touring in Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.