Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fly only part of the route

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Fly only part of the route

I have ticket from San-Francisco to Saint-Petersburg with change in Frankfurt.
Can I fly only first segment San-Francisco -> Frankfurt and stay in Germany after that?
I have Schengen visa.

Also I think I should ask for separate check-in, because I want to get my baggage in Frankfurt.

Is this a working plan or something can stop me?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You'd still have to go to the expense and trouble of getting a Russian visa.

If there are return trip on the same itinerary, they'll be cancelled.

You may have a hard time short checking your bags. Others will have to chime in on whether you have to get your bags to go through customs at FRA.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by coleno
I have ticket from San-Francisco to Saint-Petersburg with change in Frankfurt.
Can I fly only first segment San-Francisco -> Frankfurt and stay in Germany after that?
I have Schengen visa.

Also I think I should ask for separate check-in, because I want to get my baggage in Frankfurt.

Is this a working plan or something can stop me?
Which airline?

If you miss your FRA- St Petersberg (LED) flight the airline will more than likely cancel the rest of your ticket so how will you get back to SFO??

And yes the airline will check you have a russian visa before they board you at SFO - no visa = no boarding. Saying your destination is actually FRA wll likely lead to a repricing of the ticket which could be expensive.

Short checking of bags is also a flag. Given cabin baggage allowances excuses such as 'I need a change of clothes' or ' I'm meeting a friend and have presents' generally no longer work.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

I am Russian citizen. It's Lufthansa airline. It will be my last segment. It mean I am not afraid that other segments will be canceled. Do you think that I will have trouble with getting baggage in Frankfurt?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Other question.
Suppose my baggage will travel to Saint Petersburg. I'll pretend I'm late for the flight. What will happen next?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by coleno
Other question.
Suppose my baggage will travel to Saint Petersburg. I'll pretend I'm late for the flight. What will happen next?
Your baggage will not go to St Petersburg. If you don't board the plane, they will remove your bags from the hold. Most likely they will at at least try to charge you about the expenses caused and breach of carriage contract.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kallio
Your baggage will not go to St Petersburg. If you don't board the plane, they will remove your bags from the hold. Most likely they will at at least try to charge you about the expenses caused and breach of carriage contract.

Suppose I won't have luggage. Will I have problems with Germany border control?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Can you have an overnight connection in FRA in your ticket? Even better and rather foolproof - SFO-FRA//MUC-MOW with an overnight connection. You'll get your stuff in FRA. If the connection is <24 hrs, it's just a connection.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:46 am

If you only have hand luggage, and you have the necessary visas to enter Germany, German border control won't care.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fireflyer05
If you only have hand luggage, and you have the necessary visas to enter Germany, German border control won't care.
+1 OP if all you travel with is carry-on then you can do as you please in FRA, but bear in mind you will lose the FRA-LED part of the tkt. thats assuming 1 you are flying with a Russian Passport so no problems at SFO, and 2 you dont need a Visa to enter Germany or any other Country you want to.

No Russian PP then you will need a Russian Visa otherwise they wont let you board at SFO, even if you tell them you arent going to Russia (or you have a PP from a Country that doesnt need a Visa to enter Russia), if anything they will refare your tkt if you tell them that and you may have to pay more $$ before they let you board

Extremely difficult if not impossible nowadays to get a bag/s checked only to the connection city
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
+1 OP if all you travel with is carry-on then you can do as you please in FRA, but bear in mind you will lose the FRA-LED part of the tkt. thats assuming 1 you are flying with a Russian Passport so no problems at SFO, and 2 you dont need a Visa to enter Germany or any other Country you want to.

No Russian PP then you will need a Russian Visa otherwise they wont let you board at SFO, even if you tell them you arent going to Russia (or you have a PP from a Country that doesnt need a Visa to enter Russia), if anything they will refare your tkt if you tell them that and you may have to pay more $$ before they let you board

Extremely difficult if not impossible nowadays to get a bag/s checked only to the connection city, unless you are overnighting then you can say you need your bags for clothes etc for that night and they will check the bag/s only to the connecting city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.