Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help with Europe travel plans. Budapest to Copenhagen.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles

Looking at taking a September 2018 transatlantic cruise from Copenhagen to NYC. We would like to do some traveling before boarding the cruise. I am thing of maybe flying into Budapest for a few days, then on to Vienna, Prague and on up to Copenhagen.

We plan to spend about 2 weeks, but are flexible. Do you think 2 weeks is enough time to do that route justice?

I have a myriad of questions, and am trying to formulate some kind of a plan. What mode of travel should we use, I know the trains are inexpensive, but can I use them if I want to visit smaller places like Cesky Krumlov?

Would we be missing lots of off the beaten path stuff by doing it all by train? We are novices at European travel and speak nothing but English and a little Spanish. Will we be overwhelmed trying to do this on our own? I would love to rent a car and head out as we do in the states, but my husband is a nervous oversees traveler and I don't think that would suit us very well.

I have done lots of reading, but get more confused the more I read. I just need somewhere to start this planning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Lots of good questions .

Budapest, Vienna, and Prague all deserve at least 3 days each in my opinion. Assuming you'll want to spend a couple days in Copenhagen before your cruise, and add in some travel time, you have only a day or two for side trips to places like Cesky Krumlov. If you're set on visiting those 3 big cities (they are 3 of the best, and well worth it) then I wouldn't build in more than one extra stop.

SOME trains are inexpensive. Sometimes you'll find it's cheaper and faster to fly. I'd suggest you look into flying from Prague to Copenhagen. For Budapest to Vienna, the train is definitely the way to go. Vienna to Cesky Krumlov/Prague, I'd explore trains and buses to start with.

I'm with your husband on the car rental. Sometimes it's necessary, but the trains are so simple and convenient, even to get to most small towns, and parking can often be difficult or expensive for a car.

As far as language goes, I speak English, a little Spanish, and a little French. I've never had a problem in Europe. In all the places you've listed, and any tourist-heavy area English will be fairly prevalent, and you'll have no problems. I always try to learn a few words like hello, please, thank you. I don't know if people care, but it makes me feel better .

Given that you're having some trouble planning, here's my suggestion...start by planning those big cities you listed. Look up what you want to do and see in each one, and figure out how long it will take you to travel between them That will give you a rough itinerary. Then if you have some extra time, research side trips like Cesky Krumlov (or my highly recommended Melk, a short train ride from Vienna). If there's a side trip you're dying to make, you can make a call on whether to skip a big city or shorten one by a day if it doesn't fit.

Hope that helps get you started. People here are generally very helpful providing feedback on an itinerary if you can pull together a first draft and want to test it.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Budapest - Vienna: either take the train (RailJet goes very frequently) or if the weather is nice and you're not in a hurry, consider going by the Danube on a river ship. Longer, but nicer.

Vienna - Prague: I'd go with the train option, simply because I don't like buses.

Prague - Copenhagen: fly. If you had time to stop en route in Germany, the trains would be good, but your exploration time is mostly used up by the previous three + side trips.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:06 am

Good advice above. For info, Norwegian, Czech Airlines and (less frequently) SAS all fly direct PRG-CPH with reasonable fares.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:48 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gnggng
We are novices at European travel and speak nothing but English and a little Spanish. Will we be overwhelmed trying to do this on our own? I would love to rent a car and head out as we do in the states, but my husband is a nervous oversees traveler and I don't think that would suit us very well.
I promise you Spanish will be of no help. The only time I had an opportunity to speak it was when a Spanish couple asked me if I knew where a certain church was in Prague

That said, in touristy places many if not most people speak English and unless you stay in small local hotels they will speak English there.

One problem with cars is that you will not really want to use them when in a big town, and it can be expensive to park them.

And many people go to Europe for first time - I am sure you will be fine.

Originally Posted by JBord

Budapest, Vienna, and Prague all deserve at least 3 days each in my opinion. Assuming you'll want to spend a couple days in Copenhagen before your cruise, and add in some travel time, you have only a day or two for side trips to places like Cesky Krumlov. If you're set on visiting those 3 big cities (they are 3 of the best, and well worth it) then I wouldn't build in more than one extra stop.

SOME trains are inexpensive. Sometimes you'll find it's cheaper and faster to fly. I'd suggest you look into flying from Prague to Copenhagen. For Budapest to Vienna, the train is definitely the way to go. Vienna to Cesky Krumlov/Prague, I'd explore trains and buses to start with.
Good itinerary, second opinions that buses are not as comfortable as trains - one tip, as first timer you may want to get seat assignments as well as tickets. I travel alone and am comfortable hunting for a good seat and moving when people get off to snag a better seat, but ....

Last time I went to Cesky Krumlov there was no direct train there, you had to change in Ceske Budejovice, while RegioJet (aka Student Agency) buses go pretty much nonstop. Three hours each way.

I don't know if they still have them on any particular route, but one thing to consider on Prague-Copenhagen route is a sleeper night train. They are going away, probably because many people just fly on routes where they would have taken the night train. The trains aren't going away, only the sleeper cars on some routes (see Europe train travel forum).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the helpful replies.

I have tons of research and planning to do, but this was just the help I needed to get me pointed in the right direction.

We may end up adding another week to the trip if the budget allows. I plan to try for FF miles on AA when they open up for Aug 2018. The availability of those flights may tie me determine what date we start out.

I have considered dropping Budapest or Vienna, to spend more time on day trips to smaller towns. Anyone have an opinion on that option, and if so, which small towns to include and which large city to drop?

Thanks again for all the help thus far. I'm sure I will be back for more help when I start formulating an itinerary.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
As a first timer, I'd definitely keep both VIE & BUD
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid

Last time I went to Cesky Krumlov there was no direct train there, you had to change in Ceske Budejovice, while RegioJet (aka Student Agency) buses go pretty much nonstop. Three hours each way.
This is why I suggested a bus. I agree with you and other posters that the train is a more comfortable option.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
As a first timer, I'd definitely keep both VIE & BUD
I agree with this. In fact, if the OP feels it's necessary to drop one of the big cities, I'd make it Prague. Not because BUD or VIE are better, but because they're closer together and there are a number of good side trips available from both. Plus, without checking, I'd assume there are more flight options available from VIE to CPH.

But personally, I'd prioritize all 3 of these cities above any side trips.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Looks like the consensus is to keep BUD, VIE and PRG, so I will either add more days or cut out the side trips.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:59 am

Looks like the consensus is to keep BUD, VIE and PRG, so I will either add more days or cut out the side trips.
You could keep the side trips, but not ones as big as Cesky Krumlow, with your current two weeks. For instance, you can do the Wachau Valley (Austrian wine country) in a day while being based in Vienna. Bratislava can also be accomplished in a day trip from Vienna. Or, make your train ride from BUD to VIE route through Bratislava...go in the morning, spend the day there, and then take the train or bus the rest of the way to VIE the next morning.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:09 am

Or, make your train ride from BUD to VIE route through Bratislava...go in the morning, spend the day there, and then take the train or bus the rest of the way to VIE the next morning.
Hotels and dining certainly are cheaper (and use Euro) in Bratislava

The old part of the city is quite compact, and train station access is very easy.

Not sure if I already suggested (maybe in another thread), but if interested, the boat ride from Bratislava is much shorter and faster than from Budapest.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

If we take the train from BUD to VIE and stop for a day tour in Bratislavia, is there a place at the train station to store our bags?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:58 am

If we take the train from BUD to VIE and stop for a day tour in Bratislavia, is there a place at the train station to store our bags?
I haven't used them but:

https://bratislava-slovakia.eu/places/luggage-lockers
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks, great information.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:34 am

Have not used them either, but I have seen the place where you drop them off. It's to the right after you are leaving platform and sort of around the corner before you go down the stairs to go outside. IIRC found this when I was looking for WC (bathroom).

Wasn't looking for the self serve, and assume they are there, BUT have come across places where they were ALL full. Should not be a problem at drop off location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.