Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam for one day in May ! Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
More Amsterdam questions!

When using public transportation, I see I can buy tickets online (costs € 8,40 for r/t ticket between AMS and Amsterdam Centraal). Any benefit to this? Is it more expensive this way? Any issues buying online?

Landing at 10:25 and departing at 21:05. Luggage checked through but need to clear passport control and lock carry-on in luggage locker.

Any suggestions of what to do when traveling solo during the day? I'm interested in Anne Frank House but no tickets available online (will stop by after 15:30) and boat cruise, and was told to avoid the ones right by the train station. Anything else, preferably on the cheap to free side (not interested in investing money in an art museum to spend 10 minutes there)?
I think in the last few years I did few boat cruises of AMS with different visitors, all the basic ones are about the same, you can go into the Info center just outside Centraal station on the left hand side and get a ticket for something like 15-20€

8,40€ is the normally price for a r/t, a paper ticket costs 1€ extra and using a foreign card is I think another 0,5€ extra. (or you can also pay with cash at the desk and I think this is also 0,5€ extra, otherwise the machines only accepts coins)

I don't think the Amsterdam Travel Card is worthwhile for a day stopover, you can walk to most places, and even if at the end of the day you are tired and want to take a tram back to Centraal you can buy a single ticket on the tram.

I think between Anna Frank house and the canal tour, with lunch in the middle and walking around a bit your day would be covered, I don't think the Heineken Experience is worth it, if you have some time to spare I personally like The Amsterdam museum - https://www.amsterdammuseum.nl

Last thing, KLM currently recommends arriving to the terminal 3 hours before the flight due to (very) long queues in security and immigration.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I think there's some truth to what you say, and sight seeing in general is a very personal thing.

For me, I read the book as a child, and while the house is rather bare, it helped make real for me how dreadful it must have been for so many people to be confined to such tight quarters.

For others it may have religious or social significance. But ultimately I would agree there are things I'd put ahead of it in Amsterdam -- even though I'm not a big art lover, I've always loved Van Gogh's work and I find the museum excellent. Others may be bored silly .
And that's why I hedged my statements somewhat with that. I do think it'd be a reasonable place to visit if they could control the crowds better. As it was, you really couldn't get a feel for the size of the rooms or what it would be like to live there. (Although you'd certainly get the claustrophobia feel). Personally I'd also like to see some period authentic furnishings to get an idea of what it would have been like, but I realize they have their reasons for leaving it empty (I just don't happen to agree with it, although the reality is with the number of tourists in there, there wasn't really room for furniture anyways). But the only answer I can think of to fix the issue is to severely limit the number of people allowed in at any given time, which would annoy a lot of people too.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by cardsqc
But the only answer I can think of to fix the issue is to severely limit the number of people allowed in at any given time, which would annoy a lot of people too.
It is better either very early or very late, I think maybe 1-1.5 hours before they close they start going around the queue telling people that they might not have a lot of time inside and it is maybe best if they come another day, many people then just leave.

Don't get me wrong, it is still one long line inside the house.. but much better.
Given the "physical restrictions" which cannot be changed there isn't much to do, even if they limit the amount of people inside, it will be hard to backtrack or even stay in the same place without blocking other people.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by :D!
You cannot use the Dutch railways website to buy this as it only accepts Dutch internet banking payments.

However, you can buy these train tickets at https://www.discoverholland.com/Tickets

If intending to travel around Amsterdam by public transport, then the Amsterdam Travel Ticket for €16 may be of interest. Buying online here is merely a "prepayment" as you still have to collect it at the airport. But as you are worried about your credit card not being accepted in person, this seems like the ideal* option unless your intention is to walk around all day.
What is the difference between buying from one website over the other? Is it the same idea?

For me, the benefit of prepayment is two-fold: it avoids the potential credit card issue (even though I do actually have an offline Chip&PIN Israeli card) AND it helps avoid the longer line at the window. If prepaying means I need to wait in that line, then it's probably better that I just use the Israeli credit card and save myself the time.

Originally Posted by :D!
If operating in euros, then it costs 10 cents more than buying the train tickets online and a GVB 24-hour pass separately; but it is surely worth it to avoid having to find the ticket machine in Amsterdam Centraal metro station; furthermore anyone paying cash or wanting to buy their train ticket in person will be saving money as there is a paper ticket fee which is not charged for the Amsterdam Travel Ticket. (But I believe there is a credit card fee when buying in person at Schiphol station.)
It's never been a big deal to me to walk up to the window at AMS to buy the ticket. They may have a 1 euro surcharge or something for doing it, but as PsiFighter37 said, just buy the round trip, it will take 5 minutes of your time and you won't have to worry about it again.
Originally Posted by Ditto
8,40€ is the normally price for a r/t, a paper ticket costs 1€ extra and using a foreign card is I think another 0,5€ extra. (or you can also pay with cash at the desk and I think this is also 0,5€ extra, otherwise the machines only accepts coins)
I noticed when bouncing around the web that it's €8.40 for r/t between AMS and Amsterdam Centraal and then €7.50 for unlimited travel within Amsterdam versus €16 for all-in-one. Is there any difference between these 2 separate options? I don't care one way or the other about 10 cents, and want to above all, avoid the hassle of searching for hard to find kiosks to pick something up OR long lines to speak to a person.

Is it not possible to pay with a phone on public transportation?

And when push comes to shove, how much am I looking at actually paying for the different options assuming I use a foreign card (not cash) and pay online OR pay in person?

I don't think the Amsterdam Travel Card is worthwhile for a day stopover, you can walk to most places, and even if at the end of the day you are tired and want to take a tram back to Centraal you can buy a single ticket on the tram.
In theory, my employer will reimburse me the cost of public transportation, though I'd prefer to save the money if it turns out it's an unnecessary expenditure.

That being said, I don't mind walking around but:
  1. How easy is it to buy a ticket for one line, and what's the cost?
  2. Is it a set fee for all travel within Amsterdam, or zone/distance-based?
  3. Is the cost per line or per time?
  4. What about biking - how easy is it to rent bikes (and are they expensive) for one-off stuff?
There won't be enough time to do everything you list.
I've never done the Heineken Experience because I've heard it's not that great (and I love brewery, beer, wine related tours). You may want to research that one. I think you could probably do 3 on your list, assuming you'll want to sit down and get a quick bite to eat too.

RLD - yes, for most of us (), you just walk around. It's quite a circus, although more so at night. It's just a few blocks long, and I'd say walk through there on your way to something else just for the experience. The most fascinating thing for me, and a symbol of Dutch tolerance, is the Oude Kerk which is not quite in the middle of the RLD, but you'll see what I mean.
I'll look more into Heieneken. I had brought it up because a friend just told me they did it and enjoyed, but I'll try to look for more reviews. For RLD, any suggested paths to follow or just stroll around?

I think in the last few years I did few boat cruises of AMS with different visitors, all the basic ones are about the same, you can go into the Info center just outside Centraal station on the left hand side and get a ticket for something like 15-20€
If I don't end up doing Heineken, I'll just do a random one based on price. Thanks.

I think between Anna Frank house and the canal tour, with lunch in the middle and walking around a bit your day would be covered, I don't think the Heineken Experience is worth it, if you have some time to spare I personally like The Amsterdam museum - https://www.amsterdammuseum.nl
As noted below, I may end up skipping Anne Frank. I could only show up at 15:30 and might wait awhile for a ticket, that it may not be worth it for me.

Would you recommend Amsterdam Museum over Van Gogh?

Last thing, KLM currently recommends arriving to the terminal 3 hours before the flight due to (very) long queues in security and immigration.
Seriously?! EL AL recommends 3 hours, and I've never seen someone recommend so long, and that's when checking luggage AND includes their longer security check. My luggage will be checked through. 3 hours seem real? In Europe, I've generally never had an issue showing up significantly closer to the flight.

Originally Posted by cardsqc
And that's why I hedged my statements somewhat with that. I do think it'd be a reasonable place to visit if they could control the crowds better. As it was, you really couldn't get a feel for the size of the rooms or what it would be like to live there. (Although you'd certainly get the claustrophobia feel). Personally I'd also like to see some period authentic furnishings to get an idea of what it would have been like, but I realize they have their reasons for leaving it empty (I just don't happen to agree with it, although the reality is with the number of tourists in there, there wasn't really room for furniture anyways). But the only answer I can think of to fix the issue is to severely limit the number of people allowed in at any given time, which would annoy a lot of people too.
It's not crazy what you write. I've heard from a number of people that Anne Frank is a "must do" just "because it's important," admitting that it's not the greatest place to visit. Not to compare, but I've been to some major Holocaust museums and have a deep understanding. I just felt, as a Jew, I "should" go, but I've also heard offline I can avoid, so unless I somehow get tickets for a specified timeslot, I think I'll avoid. Thanks.

Last edited by joshwex90; May 5, 2017 at 7:11 am
Old May 5, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

I'll look more into Heieneken. I had brought it up because a friend just told me they did it and enjoyed, but I'll try to look for more reviews. For RLD, any suggested paths to follow or just stroll around?
If you do Heineken, please come back and post your review. I've avoided it but would love for it to be good for next time I'm there.

RLD - You can walk through the main part of it all on one street, so it just depends on which direction you're going. If you want to go through and get out, go from the train station to Oude Kerk, then if I recall correctly its a left turn one street over to get to the main drag.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you do Heineken, please come back and post your review. I've avoided it but would love for it to be good for next time I'm there.

RLD - You can walk through the main part of it all on one street, so it just depends on which direction you're going. If you want to go through and get out, go from the train station to Oude Kerk, then if I recall correctly its a left turn one street over to get to the main drag.
Thanks

Also forgot to ask earlier, but related to public transportation, anyone know anything about Tram 2? https://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam/t...sche-attractie
Old May 5, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Amsterdam Museum over Van Gogh.

But my preference would be for the Hermitage and the Portraits of the Golden Age exhibition. The Romanovs is also pretty interesting. A combined ticket to both is €25

Something more unusual would be Museum Our Lord in the Attic
Old May 5, 2017, 2:08 pm

I noticed when bouncing around the web that it's €8.40 for r/t between AMS and Amsterdam Centraal and then €7.50 for unlimited travel within Amsterdam versus €16 for all-in-one. Is there any difference between these 2 separate options? I don't care one way or the other about 10 cents, and want to above all, avoid the hassle of searching for hard to find kiosks to pick something up OR long lines to speak to a person.

Is it not possible to pay with a phone on public transportation?

And when push comes to shove, how much am I looking at actually paying for the different options assuming I use a foreign card (not cash) and pay online OR pay in person?
The machines at AMS airports accepts foreign credit cards (I think only Visa & Mastercard though), and there are plenty around so you won't have to queue for more than 5 minutes to buy a r/t ticket (for what will presumably be 8,40€+1,00€+0,50€

That being said, I don't mind walking around but:
  1. How easy is it to buy a ticket for one line, and what's the cost?
  2. Is it a set fee for all travel within Amsterdam, or zone/distance-based?
  3. Is the cost per line or per time?
  4. What about biking - how easy is it to rent bikes (and are they expensive) for one-off stuff?
A one hour ticket is 2,90€ and can be bought on the trams, and you can switch trams/buses within Amsterdam on GVB (some buses are operated by other companies but you are pretty unlikely to need those)

Personally I think the Amsterdam Museum is better, of course if you are into art/Van Gogh then it might be a different story, I like to learn about the places I visit and hence I like the Amsterdam Museum

Seriously?! EL AL recommends 3 hours, and I've never seen someone recommend so long, and that's when checking luggage AND includes their longer security check. My luggage will be checked through. 3 hours seem real? In Europe, I've generally never had an issue showing up significantly closer to the flight.
Take a look at this thread and you would understand why.

Thanks

Also forgot to ask earlier, but related to public transportation, anyone know anything about Tram 2? https://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam/t...sche-attractie
That's just a normal tram line that happens to go through some touristy places, nothing special except that.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:59 pm

The machines at AMS airports accepts foreign credit cards (I think only Visa & Mastercard though), and there are plenty around so you won't have to queue for more than 5 minutes to buy a r/t ticket (for what will presumably be 8,40€+1,00€+0,50€
Unless something has changed, they only accept chip and pin cards. Unfortunately most US cards are still chip and signature. It's been a year since I've been there, but the machine most certainly did not accept my Visa chip and signature, but the person at the ticket window did .
Old May 6, 2017, 4:31 am

Unless something has changed, they only accept chip and pin cards. Unfortunately most US cards are still chip and signature. It's been a year since I've been there, but the machine most certainly did not accept my Visa chip and signature, but the person at the ticket window did .
Yes, only Chip & Pin of course, it has been several years now that they do not allow swiping cards anymore in The Netherlands (and the new card machines at POS have no option to swipe even if you want to), though I suppose Chip & Signature might work at a cashier.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:15 am

Yes, only Chip & Pin of course, it has been several years now that they do not allow swiping cards anymore in The Netherlands (and the new card machines at POS have no option to swipe even if you want to), though I suppose Chip & Signature might work at a cashier.
It definitely works with a human cashier.

And I've never had a problem with lines (as others have noted) at AMS to use a cashier. I've always walked right up to an open window. Maybe I've been lucky, who knows.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the extra 1.50?

Take a look at this thread and you would understand why.
Here I was hoping my SP would help...
Old May 6, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What's the extra 1.50?
there is an extra €1 fee for a paper ticket. If you had a opchipcart (may not be quire right) then there would be no paper ticket fee. The 50c is the credit card fee.

Your card issuer may also charge a foreign transaction fee.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:49 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
there is an extra €1 fee for a paper ticket. If you had a opchipcart (may not be quire right) then there would be no paper ticket fee. The 50c is the credit card fee.
The OV-Chipkaart is a bad deal for most short-term visitors as it costs €7.50 and expires after 5 years. It also requires a minimum of €20 to enter a train station, and I think it is only possible to top up in increments of €5.

Therefore the €8.40 train journey will actually involve an outlay of €32.50 and leave the OP with €16.60 in electronic funds on the card which is nearly impossible for a tourist to reclaim. In order to use any trains again, a further top up of €5 would be required. If more than €1.60 was spent on trams and buses during the day, then the total outlay would rise to €37.50.

I used the Amsterdam Travel ticket for my day trip last week. Like joshwex90 I arrived at about 10am (weekday). Each counter at the Schiphol train station had an individual queue. There were about 10 counters open and the queue length was 0-2 people at each counter. I waited 2 minutes then purchased this for €16 in cash. Most people I observed were also paying in cash.

If you prepay at the discover holland website you collect from a different shop to the normal rail counters (I think you can also buy it there, and maybe with no credit card fee too).

If wanting to travel on Amsterdam (GVB) buses / trams / metro making more than 3 trips that are each more than an hour apart, the €7.50 24-hour pass will be better. So basically decide whether you want this or not and if yes, buy the Amsterdam Travel Ticket, if not buy the single ticket from the discover holland website (which I think will come as a PDF ticket you can put on your phone, although it doesn't say).
Old May 7, 2017, 3:21 am

Here I was hoping my SP would help...
For SP you probably don't need 3 hours, but as SP I used to arrive to the airport 1hr before and it never took longer than 10-15 minutes to be at the lounge, sadly this seems to no longer be the case and I am now aiming to arrive 2 hours before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.