Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam or Prague?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Amsterdam or Prague?

Trying to decide which city to go to. We'll be in Europe early June and have an extra few days to visit another city. Things we like to do:

- visit craft breweries and drink craft beer or any beer events
- nature stuff, like hiking and parks (nothing too crazy)
- visit museums possibly
- eating vegetarian/vegan food
- just walking around and taking it all in

I don't expect we'll be back in Europe for at least a few years after this trip.

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:07 am

It's a difficult choice, for what you are looking, both are good options, I would go for whichever is easier to get to from where you will be before.
Prague would be much cheaper to visit, so maybe that is also a factor for you and will help you decide.

Once you decided which one, I can recommend some craft breweries/pubs to visit
farci likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mtnagel
I don't expect we'll be back in Europe for at least a few years after this trip.
Go to the city that is closer to you as you save traveling time. Both are worth a visit.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:16 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Either we'll but in Bruges or Brussels. It looks to be better to be in Brussels and it's either a 90 minutes, $30 flight or a 2 hour train ride. I know dealing with the airport will make the flight longer, but I'd say that neither are particularly difficult.

Sounds like we can't make a bad decision and we'll just have to do the other city the next time we come over.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Thanks all. Either we'll but in Bruges or Brussels. It looks to be better to be in Brussels and it's either a 90 minutes, $30 flight or a 2 hour train ride. I know dealing with the airport will make the flight longer, but I'd say that neither are particularly difficult.

Sounds like we can't make a bad decision and we'll just have to do the other city the next time we come over.
Go with Amsterdam then. Better museums but, in my opinion, beer is not as good as Prague . Both are great walking cities.

The main reason is location. You're thinking of just this trip, but if you go back in a few years you may want to try Prague and combine with other locations nearby. Plus, Brussels to Amsterdam gives you the option of stopping for a day or half day somewhere like The Hague or Delft right along the way if you want.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd guess that vegan/vegetarian food would be easier in the Netherlands. Also, more English is spoken, so it's easy to ask and get accurate answers.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JBord
Plus, Brussels to Amsterdam gives you the option of stopping for a day or half day somewhere like The Hague or Delft right along the way if you want.
Yep, renting a car and driving Brussels-Amsterdam with some stops on the way can be a nice option.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ditto
Yep, renting a car and driving Brussels-Amsterdam with some stops on the way can be a nice option.
You can also get off the train to see stuff, although this isn't practical for small villages or rural attractions.

There are some pretty seaside villages near the border, for example Damme.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can also get off the train to see stuff, although this isn't practical for small villages or rural attractions..
Yes that is also possible, if you have no luggage with you ^
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
But be aware that one-way rentals between countries are prohibitively expensive. I'd take the train. You get to see the countryside, have a relaxed, comfortable trip, and get to the city center at least as fast as you would if you flew.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
But be aware that one-way rentals between countries are prohibitively expensive. I'd take the train. You get to see the countryside, have a relaxed, comfortable trip, and get to the city center at least as fast as you would if you flew.
You might pay 200€ instead of 100€ for a long weekend rental, I would hardly call it prohibitively expensive, especially considering the train is also costing money.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
You might pay 200€ instead of 100€ for a long weekend rental, I would hardly call it prohibitively expensive, especially considering the train is also costing money.
I should have gotten prices before posting. I've just confirmed that the one-way fee can be modest between Belgium and the Netherlands - just eighty-some dollars with Avis.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
If you don't want to rent a car, the Netherlands is easy by train. Trains are frequent, distances are short, most stations have luggage lockers (all the main stations do), and there's even a fairly affordable way to book a combined train & taxi ticket.

I've been to lots of places there without ever renting a car. Even rural places are often reachable by bus, but of course that won't work well if time is short. Still, Dordrecht, Den Haag, Delft, Leiden, etc., are all worth visiting and easily workable by train between Brussels and Amsterdam. There are easy day trips from Amsterdam, too, but honestly I think there's plenty in Amsterdam to occupy a few days (but then, I'm big on museums).
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I should have gotten prices before posting. I've just confirmed that the one-way fee can be modest between Belgium and the Netherlands - just eighty-some dollars with Avis.
I'm usually a big cheerleader for the train on this route, but would consider a car at that price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.