Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sofia, Bulgaria hotel recommendations

Old Jan 12, 17, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Two of my relatives, female, in their 40s, are visting Sofia, Bulgaria for 5 days in early February, 2017.

It is their first time there, and they want to do some sightseeing, and have some meetings to attend.

None of them have status with any hotel chain.

Can anyone please recommend some nice hotel, 4 or 5 star, which is central and safe.

They do not mind spending a bit extra for a nice hotel.

Is the Grand Hotel Sofia really the best, or are they other nice hotels out there?

Thank you very much,
wonderfultravels
Old Jan 17, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: Miles & More SEN; Asiana Silver;IHG rewards;Club Calson;Wyndham rewads
It will be difficult to find better option than, Grand Hotel Sofia.
Maybe, only Sofia Hotel Balkan, A Luxury Collection Hotel, having the glory for most luxury hotel in Sofia more than 50 years.
Hilton is not a good option only because of location, you have to pass trough park around National Palace of Culture, which is not pleasant experience during the cold and windy winter days.
Old Jan 18, 17, 5:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
We are visiting for the first time next month; we are staying at the Senses Hotel (looks modern and hip). Rooms are decent sizes. We were going to stay at the Sofia Balkan but felt it might be a bit too old for us.
Old Feb 1, 17, 12:11 pm

Programs: SK Gold
I can heartily recommend the Sense hotel, where I stayed for 3 days over NYE. It is a new and modern boutique style hotel. Great location, wooden floors, the beds face the floor to bottom windows, a fantastic feel. The view from their roof top bar/restaurant (where breakfast is served) is fabulous. Very nice pool and spa area also. Next time I am back in Sofia I won't look anywhere else.
Old Feb 4, 17, 3:02 pm

February, Sofia is still extremely cheap. The Hilton can be had for <60€ per night. The location is not super central, but convenient next to the subway, but that still means a short walk (around 300m) to the station, taking the subway to the centre from there.

Considering in February the differences from "downtown 5*" hotels to the Hilton aren't that big, I'd probably stay in the centre (Serdika) itself.

Sofia Hotel Balkan is probably the "can't take it wrong" choice.

Arena di Serdica has the most unusual lobby and is also a fairly safe bet, especially if you're into history.

Also, if you like to tell me when exactly they're there, I can give them a personal tour
Old Apr 4, 17, 8:52 am

How come no mentions of the Le Fleur Botique Hotel? It looks really nice and has the best location out of any Hotel in Sofia on Vitosha Street?
Old Mar 7, 19, 8:54 pm

Has anyone tried the Intercontinental? It is newly remodeled from the former Radisson Blu. Which is the better location for tourists to just walk out the door and be in the midst of restaurants and shops, the Sofia Hotel Balkan or the Intercontinental?
Old Mar 7, 19, 10:55 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
[left]Has anyone tried the Intercontinental?
IC Sofia Master Thread

Which is the better location for tourists to just walk out the door and be in the midst of restaurants and shops, the Sofia Hotel Balkan or the Intercontinental?
This would be the case with both hotels, but the Balkan is closer to the very center of the city.
Tizzette likes this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Choice for late August. Since there is no winter to worry about?

Also so will it be as hot in say Greece? Been there in the summer.
Old Mar 10, 19, 4:38 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by SJWarrior View Post

??

The southern parts of Greece definitely get hotter, but you can see the figures for yourself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofia#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens#Climate
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Mar 10, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
??
Someone said that the Hilton was not a good option in the winter. Was wondering if in the summer it was a good choice or still go with the Sofia Balkan

The southern parts of Greece definitely get hotter, but you can see the figures for yourself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofia#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens#Climate
Old Mar 10, 19, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by SJWarrior View Post

A concern in August would be which hotel has the most reliable AC. There are some bad AC experiences on Tripadvisor at the Sofia Balkan. The Hilton has a nice outdoor pool, neither the Balkan or the Intercontinental have a pool, but the Hilton not as close to the sites and restaurants.

A concern to me in October is that upon 3 consecutive days of weather averaging 55 F, if I remember right,
Bulgaria switches over to heat. In many if not most hotels, individual rooms can not toggle back and forth from heat to AC on an unseasonably warm day. My experience is that hotels in Central and Eastern European countries and Russia are kept very warm so it is very important that the windows open to get some relief.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
Has anyone tried the Intercontinental?

The IC gets my unqualified recommendation. Upgrades to the top floor balcony suites are worth begging/bargaining for, or if you are feeling flush....

There's a metro station by the hotel, making the airport transfer easy and cheap if you are lightly loaded
Tizzette and SJWarrior like this.