Wiki Posts
Search

Some questions for a March trip in Lauterbrunnen

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
BTW, OP - do you own a 1974 Karmann Ghia? One of my old dream cars...
Missed this before, I did own a 74. Owned it about 5 years. Enjoyed then flipped it.

And. I booked in Murren. Now, trying to figure out the most economical way to get the most out of my `40 hours in the area.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Personally, I did a similar trip several years back. I preferred staying in Lauterbrunnen because you could easily travel to Wengen, Murren, Gimmelwald, Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn...all on day trips...and gave you more options depending upon the weather in each outpost. And the valley was lovely....but YMMV.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:57 am

I adore Liechtenstein! One of my favourite places in Europe is a tiny hamlet called Steg, just a little further up from Triesenberg. Tiny blue lake and tiny collection of picture-perfect houses nestled in the mountains and surrounded by streams. My favourite place to eat there has closed but the Bergstübli Steg might be an option.

Definitely nicer in summer than in winter, but the snow should be starting to melt at that altitude by late March.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
OP, you got plenty of great advice and suggestions here.
Recently, I spent 4 days in Lauterbrunnen and explored all local iconic sights. I had a car too, it was in park the whole time. While in the area, I used exclusively the trains, and had a 3-day pass.
Murren is a good place to stay. I loved this village. The views are fab! So are all places mentioned up-thread. But with only 2 days, you really have to hustle to jam in all the worthy sights.
While up there in Jungfraujoch, beware of high altitude sickness. I saw more than a few people were suffering from it, including a poor dog.
I agree with others re driving to Liechtenstein, allow more than 3 hours. Note that often there could be accidents that stop traffic for a long time. This happened to me driving from Austria to Lauterbrunnen. For two times, traffic came to a screeching halt. Lost 1.5 hours!
If you want to see a preview of some of the sights, I posted a few photos and you can find them here:

https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Europe/Switzerland

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
One further thought RE: Jungfraujoch.

If you're in the area and the weather is good, go for it. But don't make it a "must see" and just do it regardless. You will be so much happier if you visit 5/10 years from now on a spectacular day rather than going up and the weather comes in.

We never make "plans" for any kind of landscape sightseeing. If we're in/near a place that has good sights and the weather is great, we go. Otherwise we do other things. For instance, if by bad chance you're in the Lauterbrunnen area and it's rainy/foggy/snowy consider visiting Trummelbach falls. They are actually more beautiful when it's raining, since the sun never shines there and the additional water makes the falls bigger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.