Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old speeding ticket in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Old speeding ticket in Amsterdam

I was stopped as I was flying through Amsterdam for apparently having an unpaid speeding ticket. I don't remember which company it was and I never received the ticket. I'm heading to Amsterdam next week and I'd like to take care of it now before I head over. How can I do that with CBIJ when I don't have the ticket number? Anyone know?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
As a dutch citizen you can request 'all open cases' against you here (all in dutch and you need to have DigiD for the first link):
https://www.cjib.nl/Onderwerpen/Alle...pen/index.aspx

https://www.cjib.nl/Contact/Formulie...nde-zaken.aspx

Sadly this most likely will work not for you.

During pasport control the KMar will check the registers of the Centraal Justitieel Incassobureau (CJIB).
If they find something like a speed ticket you will eventually have to pay it there.
You might ask for instructions while @AMS.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As a foreigner I wasn't given the option of paying later. I had to pay on the spot when I got stopped at immigration.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

I got a letter here in the US with a 70 Euro speeding ticket for going 12km over, reduced to 9km over in Otterlo. I rented the car at Alamo in Amsterdam. I have till the end of this month to reply and I'm thinking about just ignoring it.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:07 pm

Ignoring it is a very good idea; so, next time you go through a passport control at AMS you get stopped and are asked to pay it there and then, the delay causing you to miss your connection and having your ticket cancelled. Then you can start a new thread here at FT (can't use this one since you had been warned here) complaining about these narrow-minded Dutch and the European so-called liberals and, not to forget, the moslem cleaning lady who contributed to your delay and ticket (plane, not police) cancellation. Then you could also start a second thread about trying to cancel your new CC charge (trafic ticket plus fees) to Alamo... Absolutely great idea, not even Groucho Marx would have thought about it. !
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by KLouis
Ignoring it is a very good idea; so, next time you go through a passport control at AMS you get stopped and are asked to pay it there and then, the delay causing you to miss your connection and having your ticket cancelled. Then you can start a new thread here at FT (can't use this one since you had been warned here) complaining about these narrow-minded Dutch and the European so-called liberals and, not to forget, the moslem cleaning lady who contributed to your delay and ticket (plane, not police) cancellation. Then you could also start a second thread about trying to cancel your new CC charge (trafic ticket plus fees) to Alamo... Absolutely great idea, not even Groucho Marx would have thought about it. !
But won't he be due a hotel room and food as part of a "duty of care" under EC 261/2004 if the missed connection means an overnight?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
But won't he be due a hotel room and food as part of a "duty of care" under EC 261/2004 if the missed connection means an overnight?
Yes, and a massage! Missed connection due to beeing held at immigration means that YOU pay (a lot) not the airline, which is not involved in either issuing or not paying the traffic ticket: missing the flight means (plane) ticket cancelled; as simple as that.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:50 am

I ignored another speeding ticket in the NL some years ago without any consequence. The reason I posted here was to find out other posters experiences.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience is a few posts up. I arrived at AMS one day and was stopped at immigration and brought into a side room where I was asked to pay €120 for a previous speeding ticket. I had the cash on me and paid and continued on my way. It took less than 15 minutes.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
I got a letter here in the US with a 70 Euro speeding ticket for going 12km over, reduced to 9km over in Otterlo. I rented the car at Alamo in Amsterdam. I have till the end of this month to reply and I'm thinking about just ignoring it.
Surprised that the rental company did not simply charge it to your credit card
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
My experience is a few posts up. I arrived at AMS one day and was stopped at immigration and brought into a side room where I was asked to pay €120 for a previous speeding ticket. I had the cash on me and paid and continued on my way. It took less than 15 minutes.
The Netherlands indeed does sometimes check up people to see if they own Dutch fines and then tries to collect them there. I'm not a big fan of governments preventing international travel due to civil debts.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by farci
Surprised that the rental company did not simply charge it to your credit card
Ultimately, the vehicle owner (rental company) is not liable for a moving violation; the driver is. They can't just plea guilty for you. All they do is pass your name to the authorities.

In NY, the owner is liable for parking offenses. So for parking violations, the rental company will ultimately pay and charge the renter's credit card if the renter does not take care of the parking ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with the rental car collecting is they get it wrong and then what do you do?

I just got a Hertz bill from Germany in German saying I had a €25 traffic fine for something. The problem is that I was never in Germany with this car. I was in France and on the day they claim I had an infraction in Germany I was in Paris returning the car. I guess Hertz thinks that no one will go through all the hassle of complaining for just 25 bucks.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Netherlands indeed does sometimes check up people to see if they own Dutch fines and then tries to collect them there. I'm not a big fan of governments preventing international travel due to civil debts.
Exactly this - for both Dutch and foreign citizens - and I second your thoughts on it.

If you are travelling to/from/via the Netherlands on any journey - take into account that the chances of any fine outstanding being flagged up is significant.

The Dutch won't forget easily - especially when it comes to money. Unless that is of course if the fine is 20-30 years old or whatever and legally it has expired.

If on any flight to/from/via Amsterdam and you have to clear passport control, allow enough time to pay the fine. It might be a quick procedure, but you don't want to risk your fine.

There is a big chance that on an intra-Schengen flight (if not connecting to/from an extra-Schengen flight!) that you won't be checked and that you are fine. But you don't want to take any risks here by ignoring it - that's what I would indeed advice.

(For what I understood of the question why the traffic fine is not collected from the credit card being asked here: it is because it is a matter of the CJIB and not the rental car company at that time anymore - and you never gave them a pre-authorisation or anything on your creditcard. So it's quite logical. You as a person collected the fine, not the rental car company)
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm not a big fan of governments preventing international travel due to civil debts.
Well, in civil-law countries, legal norms regarding speeding are considered a part of criminal/penal law.

So, holding somebody up for having unpaid speeding tickets isn't fundamentally different from holding somebody up because he is a accused of a minor copyright violation. Both issues aren't confined to private law, they do concern public law as well.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by fppmongo; Mar 12, 2017 at 3:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.