Wiki Posts
Search

Restrictions at e-Gates?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Restrictions at e-Gates?

Hello,

I am going to be travelling from England to a European city this summer. I will likely use the e-Gates* for faster access and I've read that you must be 18 y/o etc to use. However I'm wondering if you can use it with a child passport? I am 18 (19 this September). My passport doesn't expire until 2017. Will it deny me access if I don't have an adult passport yet?
*I haven't used before.
Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:21 am

I don't think the passport you have is any different than the one issued to adults. The only way to tell whether you are one or not is to read your date of birth from it. The age requirement exists due to potential custody issues. As long as you are over 18 at the time of crossing, I can't see why it wouldn't let you through but if for some reason it doesn't, nothing bad can happen: you'd simply have to go to a manned gate or press a button for manual assistance. Try it.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Oh right, thanks for replying ProleOnParole.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Note that there's currently a trial at Heathrow (not sure about other UK airport too, nor other EU ones) to allow people 12+ to use the e-gates. Slightly sensationalist article on it is available from the IB Times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.