Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which concourse at AMS

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Which concourse at AMS

We are connecting at AMS Saturday morning, from Houston to Copenhagen. These are United tickets, but the last leg from AMS to CPH is on SAS (with separate locator numbers, for some reason). I've hunted around to find out about transfer processes, with only some success, because our connection time is short. Which concourse will the United arriving flight use? I gather SAS flies out on concourse C. And for transfer, will there be a security line as well as passport control?
Old May 12, 2016, 9:15 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
IIRC, United use the G pier, and SAS, as you noted, the C pier.

It's a simple enough transfer - you walk along G pier, through the departures lounge, along a travelator, through another departures lounge, then you reach the Schengen border, where you clear both immigration and security. You can then walk to C pier.

This is, however, quite a long walk. How short is short? I've made non-Schengen-to-Schengen connections (from D to C pier) of 45 minutes in the past, but wouldn't fancy getting to G pier in that time...
Old May 12, 2016, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Oh, dear. I was hoping it would be on D concourse. The connection is 1 hour 5 minutes, which is the only option United offered for the flight.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Baybreezes
I gather SAS flies out on concourse C. And for transfer, will there be a security line as well as passport control?
On my latest trip through AMS, they have somewhat altered the procedure. On arrival from DXB (concourse D) we were send on a floor above the departure level and went through a brand-new security. There was no wait, but AMS wasn't really busy. (I arrived around 5 or 6 am).

After the security, transit passenger join the non-Schengen departure level. Going to concourse B/C (Schengen departures) meant going through immigration, which is located where it used to be. The main difference is, that you pass security before joining the departure level.

It should be the same for all non-schengen concourses ( https://insideflyer.nl/schiphol-central-security/ )

The connection is 1 hour 5 minutes, which is the only option United offered for the flight.
It should be enough. I haven't looked if the security had a fast lane for short connections, but immigration traditionally had a lane for very short connections (<45 minutes before departure).

If everything is on one ticket, I wouldn't worry too much. If it doesn't work out, it's going to be their problem*

*Unless of course, you deliberately miss the flight by wasting time on shopping, eating, etc...
Old May 12, 2016, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Where would the passport/immigration be? Exiting the arriving plane's concourse? Mostly I want to know, Will it be obvious where to go? Any English signs?
Thanks for the info. I've read about the new procedures but really don't have it clear in my mind.
No plans to shop!! Or eat!
Old May 12, 2016, 11:24 am

Where would the passport/immigration be?
On the departure level, separating Schengen from Non-Schengen.

Mostly I want to know, Will it be obvious where to go? Any English signs?
Yes. Yes. We're talking about the 5th largest airport in Europe (in terms of passenger volume) not an airstrip in central Africa. There are lots of signs in English and Dutch. They usually indicate an approximate walking distance (in minutes). And there is plenty of staff that can point you in the right direction. The chances of getting lost are extremely limited.

Flights from the US should (at least theoretically) not be subjected to security and passenger will deboard directly onto the departure level.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

This is very very reassuring. Thanks so much.
Old May 12, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by stut
then you reach the Schengen border, where you clear both immigration and security.
Immigration - yes. Security - not any more! Passengers no longer have to re-clear security if they are in transit from

- anywhere in Schengen
- anywhere in the EU
- the USA

This all changed last June.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Oh, dear. I was hoping it would be on D concourse. The connection is 1 hour 5 minutes, which is the only option United offered for the flight.
A few days ago I walked from the Aspire Lounge 41, which is as far as you can possibly get to the G gates and still be in the terminal, to G2 in 15 minutes -- and I am 70.

You should have no problem as far as the walk is concerned.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I looked at Google Maps, and the walk from halfway down G pier to halfway down C pier is about 0.8 miles, so around a 15-minute walk (with travelators to help you on one section).
Old May 13, 2016, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
You should have no problem as far as the walk is concerned.
He's probably more concerned about queues at immigration. On occasions I've waited 20 or 30 minutes in line (that was however before they introduced central security and everybody got checked right after immigration). The fast track for short connections (the flights qualifying for it, are displayed at the entry to it) should however be a lot quicker.

In Februar the wait was ~5 minutes (in both direction, but at different times of the day).
Old May 13, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
If everything is on one ticket, I wouldn't worry too much. If it doesn't work out, it's going to be their problem*
That's not entirely correct, if your original flight lands too late and you are short of the MCT (minimum connection time) then they are responsible.
If you are late because of queues in immigration/security, the airline is not responsible.
They are still likely to book you on the next flight, but will not be responsible for any meals/hotels/expanses or give you any compensation under EC261.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all. We are heading out today. And yes, it is lines that I'm concerned about. Walking isn't an issue.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:58 am

Thanks to all. We are heading out today. And yes, it is lines that I'm concerned about. Walking isn't an issue.
I wouldn't worry too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.