Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous serious incident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those impacted by the tragedy. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post there: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...u-airport.html.)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

Flyertalk Brussels incident moderator team: stut, cblaisd and starflyergold

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

SUMMARY: At ~08:00 local time on Tuesday, March 22, 2016, three men with several large bags arrived by taxi at BRU / Brussels Zaventem airport. They proceeded with their bags on trolleys into the departures area, where they detonated Claymore type devices within the suitcases (explosives wrapped with shrapnel consisting of nails, etc.) at opposite ends of the Departures area.

11 are known dead in this incident, many more injured. Two bombs detonated, a third suitcase detonated later, after the area had been evacuated. Two bombers were killed, a third one is being searched for; he is believed to be Hakim Laachraoui, allegedly the bomb designer and implicated in the November 13 Paris terrorist bombings.

Approximately an hour later, two men including the brother of one of the BRU bombers detonated a suicide explosive device at the Maelbeek metro station, not far from EU / EC buildings. More than 20 were killed at the metro station. In all, there have been over 260 reported injuries.

BRU / Zaventem began to open with three flights 3 April. There are new procedures in place, as reported by member flatlander on Sunday, 3 April in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

flatlander, 3 Apr 2016:

BRU is now open with limited service. See http://www.brusselsairport2203.be for new arrivals and departures procedures.

Of note: There will be a vehicle check approaching the drop-off zone. Only passengers will be allowed past the drop-off area into the temporary check-in and departures area, and there will be no luggage trolleys or catering in the departures area. After security there are a few places to eat and drink.

There are no train or bus services to the airport. Access is by private car, taxi, foot or bicycle. No car rental at the airport.

...Recommended arrival time at the airport is 3 hours before departure.
Alternate access to / from Brussels by air is via Brussels Charleroi / CRL / EBVI 29 miles from the city and connected by bus. CRL hosts Low Cost Carriers and some airlines have temporarily diverted flights from BRU to CRL.

Rail services (e.g. Thalys from Amsterdam and Paris) are functioning normally.
Resource information:

Link to BRU / Zaventem airport site with maps and details of current procedures.

Link to detailed BRU procedures for departing passengers.

Belgian Federal Crisis Center offers an English PDF here, and current updates on its FaceBook page here. Twitter @crisiscenterbe.

Relatives of BRU / Zaventem airport victims or inquiring may call +32 2 753 73 00.

Relatives of Maelbeek victims or inquiring may call +32 78 15 17 71.

Rail service has been reestablished to all rail stations (excepting BRU). Noctis busses are running. Trams #92 and #93 are running. For Metro service, see here. Plan more time for security procedures implemented as Belgium is at Security Level 3, even at rail stations, etc. and be sure to be prepared to produce valid identification.

Link to updated article on BBC

Updated 03 April 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Brussels airport and metro explosions 22 March 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Being a frequent traveler to Southern Netherlands (with the main airports of AMS, BRU and DUS all about the same distance away), I always loved BRU. Certainly compared to the sheer amount of time it would take at AMS to clear customs/security, or the longer travel times to DUS, BRU was a great efficient airport. Would I consider flying there again while this lasts? Hell no! Even at tiny CRL uselesa extra security measures are in place. And for what? It's really just for a show of force.

I'm sure many people who have a choice of airport, think the same. I'm just surprised that frequent flyers (those in the European bubble at Berlaymont etc) aren't complaining en masse and trying to influence this. I cannot imagine they are happy with this waste of time and energy.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Being a frequent traveler to Southern Netherlands (with the main airports of AMS, BRU and DUS all about the same distance away), I always loved BRU. Certainly compared to the sheer amount of time it would take at AMS to clear customs/security, or the longer travel times to DUS, BRU was a great efficient airport. Would I consider flying there again while this lasts? Hell no! Even at tiny CRL uselesa extra security measures are in place. And for what? It's really just for a show of force.

I'm sure many people who have a choice of airport, think the same. I'm just surprised that frequent flyers (those in the European bubble at Berlaymont etc) aren't complaining en masse and trying to influence this. I cannot imagine they are happy with this waste of time and energy.
The situation with the queues lasted 2 days. Everything runs smooth now.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Luggage handlers from Aviapartner just went on strike:

http://www.demorgen.be/binnenland/ch...stil-b25036f6/
Old May 11, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by dimramon
They have always asked stupid questions as far as I can remember...
In the mid 2000s in AMS (flying NW to BOS): You're staying at a friends house? When's his birthday? Whaaaat, you don't know your friends birthday? The boss of the stupid-question-team let me fly! I have tens of such stories, mostly in AMS, but also in BRU, ATH and LHR.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by dimramon
Luggage handlers from Aviapartner just went on strike:

http://www.demorgen.be/binnenland/ch...stil-b25036f6/
Strike went on for only a few hours. Back to work!
Old May 23, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
My 89 year old uncle is scheduled to leave BRU to fly to JFK on Delta this Wed., he hasn't flown in probably ten or so years. I want to make sure he gets to the airport in time. Any updates as to how long he should get there, three hours enough or are the lines still crazy long? Thanks!
Old May 24, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by odie11
My 89 year old uncle is scheduled to leave BRU to fly to JFK on Delta this Wed., he hasn't flown in probably ten or so years. I want to make sure he gets to the airport in time. Any updates as to how long he should get there, three hours enough or are the lines still crazy long? Thanks!
On the contrary, lines are non-existent and everything runs smoothly. 3 hours more than plenty. But: no-one can accompany your uncle into the airport to help him with luggage/check in etc. Maybe an exception can be made, contact Brussels Airport and/or Delta, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
They don't really enforce the 'only ticketed passengers may enter the terminal' rule anymore, at least not the 2 times I was there in the past weeks.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:40 am

From today, 2nd of June, check in for all airlines happens in the main terminal, no more tents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.