Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous serious incident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those impacted by the tragedy. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post there: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...u-airport.html.)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

Flyertalk Brussels incident moderator team: stut, cblaisd and starflyergold

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

SUMMARY: At ~08:00 local time on Tuesday, March 22, 2016, three men with several large bags arrived by taxi at BRU / Brussels Zaventem airport. They proceeded with their bags on trolleys into the departures area, where they detonated Claymore type devices within the suitcases (explosives wrapped with shrapnel consisting of nails, etc.) at opposite ends of the Departures area.

11 are known dead in this incident, many more injured. Two bombs detonated, a third suitcase detonated later, after the area had been evacuated. Two bombers were killed, a third one is being searched for; he is believed to be Hakim Laachraoui, allegedly the bomb designer and implicated in the November 13 Paris terrorist bombings.

Approximately an hour later, two men including the brother of one of the BRU bombers detonated a suicide explosive device at the Maelbeek metro station, not far from EU / EC buildings. More than 20 were killed at the metro station. In all, there have been over 260 reported injuries.

BRU / Zaventem began to open with three flights 3 April. There are new procedures in place, as reported by member flatlander on Sunday, 3 April in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

flatlander, 3 Apr 2016:

BRU is now open with limited service. See http://www.brusselsairport2203.be for new arrivals and departures procedures.

Of note: There will be a vehicle check approaching the drop-off zone. Only passengers will be allowed past the drop-off area into the temporary check-in and departures area, and there will be no luggage trolleys or catering in the departures area. After security there are a few places to eat and drink.

There are no train or bus services to the airport. Access is by private car, taxi, foot or bicycle. No car rental at the airport.

...Recommended arrival time at the airport is 3 hours before departure.
Alternate access to / from Brussels by air is via Brussels Charleroi / CRL / EBVI 29 miles from the city and connected by bus. CRL hosts Low Cost Carriers and some airlines have temporarily diverted flights from BRU to CRL.

Rail services (e.g. Thalys from Amsterdam and Paris) are functioning normally.
Resource information:

Link to BRU / Zaventem airport site with maps and details of current procedures.

Link to detailed BRU procedures for departing passengers.

Belgian Federal Crisis Center offers an English PDF here, and current updates on its FaceBook page here. Twitter @crisiscenterbe.

Relatives of BRU / Zaventem airport victims or inquiring may call +32 2 753 73 00.

Relatives of Maelbeek victims or inquiring may call +32 78 15 17 71.

Rail service has been reestablished to all rail stations (excepting BRU). Noctis busses are running. Trams #92 and #93 are running. For Metro service, see here. Plan more time for security procedures implemented as Belgium is at Security Level 3, even at rail stations, etc. and be sure to be prepared to produce valid identification.

Link to updated article on BBC

Updated 03 April 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Brussels airport and metro explosions 22 March 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: Priority Club Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, formerly BA Gold, formerly KLM silver
Some 25% of business people have avoided travelling through Brussels Airport since the attacks on 22 March, according to a survey carried out by the Flemish chamber of commerce Voka. The organisation said that the time required to check in was the main reason given.
Taken from Flanders Today.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by mfkne
Ir may not generate a new target, but it doesn't solve the problem that the authorities are so eager to demonstrate they've solved.
Depends on what "authorities". BRU airport cannot afford to have another attack. I'm sure they know it is no longer a target, but there have to be 100% sure so as to sustain the airports credibility, thus its viability. Hence what seems to be overboard security even in the light of an unlikely repeated attack.
It would be unreasonable to expect an authority to solve the terrorist problem. That said, Belgium authorities should have realized that the broadcast of their captive "responding to enquiries" should have tightened security, as this sent a message to "the others" that the police were getting info on them and future planned attacks...although hindsight makes everything is easy. Since then, I think the Belgian authority(ies) have done well to capture the "man in the hat" and obtained info leading to other arrests.

Out of sight, out of mind, eh?
Perhaps you're right.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:40 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I will not cross-post here but there are a couple of detailed reports of departure procedures at BRU at the weekend in the following thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...l#post26527253
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Ir may not generate a new target, but it doesn't solve the problem that the authorities are so eager to demonstrate they've solved. With a setup such as this attacks inside BRU are not as likely to occur anymore, but that has simply shifted to outside. Out of sight, out of mind, eh?
The authorities did not want to do this. The airport police however did, and threatened to go on strike until these rules were implemented.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
I know this may have been asked upthread (and apologies if this is the wrong place to ask), but how bad is the current situation at BRU for arriving/departing passengers? I just found out I might have to fly to ABJ in a couple of weeks (first time to West Africa - should be interesting!), which means I would have to either fly UA/SN via BRU or AF via CDG. Considering I'm really not a fan of AF or CDG and that I'm pretty close to re-gaining UA status (just shy of silver now, this trip would get me most of the way to gold), I'd prefer the UA flight if it's not too horrible.

Both inbound flights would arrive early morning, while both departing flights would leave BRU right around noon. I would likely schedule a stopover in both directions. Do I just need to allow a little extra time going to the airport (say 3 hours instead of my usual 2 hrs)?

Also, how bad is the situation elsewhere in town? Is Metro back to normal? Are most tourist sites open? I ask because if I take the BRU flight, I'd like to squeeze in 2-3 days on the way back to do a little sightseeing
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
When connecting and staying in the airport, nothing has changed and you won't notice anything. When leaving the airport it's close to normal, you can take the train from the airport again, should have cut the queues for taxi's.
Check-in is still in tents but the plan is to open the main terminal building again in a few weeks. They are running tests. Expect heightened security before entering the main terminal too.
In the city the metro is operating at full schedule again since today, even Maalbeek is open again. There's heightened security, not all entries/exits to the metro stations are open. You will see more police and army on the streets and bagage checks at entries of musea etc. but everything is operating.
With the tourists not visiting Brussels, hotel prices are dirt cheap.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I was on the first or the second train out of the airport station into Brussels on Friday. They are using the old train station with no ticket office, only ticket machines.

At least 6 FTers (including myself) flew out of BRU on Sunday and Monday (morning and late afternoon). They all reported 70-105 minutes from getting off the train to clearing security in the main terminal. I'd avoid departing from BRU until they sort out the fiasco of putting hundreds of passengers and their un-screened baggage in tents for 30+ minutes.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have a friend whom I happened to meet late yesterday evening on the way home and he had been through all this yesterday, flying easyJet BRU-GVA. The ticket had been booked months ago, so it wasn't exactly his choice. He said the whole thing was just awful, barely any space inside those tents to process all the people. Despite getting there 3 hours early he almost missed the flight, puffing up to the gate as the "last call" was donging away. It's really to be avoided at the moment, but transfers are probably ok.

Are they still using the other airports in Antwerp and Liege?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
Are they still using the other airports in Antwerp and Liege?
Brussels Airlines has moved back to BRU, Ryanair and charter airlines still operate part of their flights from Liège, Charleroi and Oostende but they always have operations at those airports.
Main terminal will reopen "somewhere in May".
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Main terminal will reopen "somewhere in May".
Have they talked about what security would be like in the "new" airport?

I havent seen much on the news or in the papers (De Morgen/De Standaard).
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: Priority Club Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, formerly BA Gold, formerly KLM silver
From twitter ....

Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:13 am

From VRT news ....

The new temporary check-in facilities at Brussels Airport have come in for unprecedented criticism. Tony Tyler, the head of IATA, the international association of airline companies, says that the new set-up is 'dangerous'.
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.en...News/1.2640773
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by traveller42
IATA's Tyler is correct on this being a dangerous set-up that risks lives of BRU passengers in a way that wasn't there before.

In the meantime, US intelligence personnel are telling more parts of the USG to advise more Americans to consider reducing exposure to very crowded areas in Europe. Go figure what we think of this kind of bottlenecking arrangement at BRU.

I'm way more willing to transit via BRU than I am of originating a trip at BRU. The mess to check-in at BRU just isn't worth it for me even if the arrangement weren't "dangerous".
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:37 am

Just announced:
- Starting Monday May 2nd a new flight schedule will be in place, spreading the passenger flow better. This should reduce the queues outside the tents.
- Somewhere before 15th of May the main terminal will re-open. It will only be open to passengers: identities/board pass and all luggage will be screened before entry to the building. The temporary arrangement in tents will also stay in place (as extra capacity).
- Most shops in the terminal will re-open. The Starbucks will be rebuild.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:23 am

The Federal Government says that the security checks at Zaventem Airport, near Brussels should be made more efficient. If this doesn’t happen the airport could lose passengers as they become sick of having to stand in long queues before they can enter the airport building.
From ...

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.en...tics/1.2642602

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.