Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budapest BUD to Keleti transfer - enough time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budapest BUD to Keleti transfer - enough time?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
You are https://goo.gl/maps/4DaJdbbEi9T2 quite right it should take the same time with a cab, I haven't thought of that. (Very funny that Google Maps says: 26 min (20.2 km) via Route 4, 27 min without traffic)
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by tide
Thanks chx1975 for the very detailed reply.

I just bought tickets for the 3:40pm train. If it works out then great. If, not, then that's life - will buy tickets at station for later trains - of which I see there are a couple of options.

To maximize our chances of making it, is there anything I should know about getting a taxi at BUD quickly or is it pretty straightforward?

Thanks again all for the super helpful info thus far.
if you buy a standard ticket, it is valid for the route a wide period of time. i.e., you could also even mix E.C. vs R.J. trains. walking on the 540 with the 340 ticket is not a problem. (ive done this plenty)

if you buy seat reservation for extra fee, you simply lose the reservation itself. but your ticket for travel is still valid.

afaik, *maybe* only the sparschiene are restricted
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Just to add - the public transportation involves 3 tickets* each, so for a party of 4 it 12 tickets @ 350 HUF = 4200 HUF. The cab ride to Keleti should be around 6000 HUF, the difference is 6€ only. Easier on the family, no dragging around luggage and kids, no kiling 2 hrs at the station (not a particulary uplifting neighbourhood)

* yes, I know the underground can be absolved by one metro-transit ticket
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Thanks to all for tips and help. Wanted to come back here to provide an update on how things went.

Original question: Given a 1:45pm scheduled arrival from Schengen zone, could I (with family) make a 3:40pm train at Keleti with checked luggage?

Summary: FoTaxi taxi ride took 25 minutes - made it with plenty of time to spare. Meter 6480 HUF - made it an even 7000 HUF on credit card.

1:50pm: Wheels down
1:53pm: Block
1:58pm: Door open
2:04pm: Deplaned from literally back of bus, middle seat row 30 on Airbus 320
2:08pm: Collected luggage from carousel. Luggage had *A priority tags and came out among the first 10 bags.
2:15pm: in taxi (FoTaxi). Super clean exit, they run a great operation, only 2 ahead in taxi rank. Driver spoke good English.
2:45pm: At Keleti. Little to no traffic. RJ68 RailJet was scheduled at 3:40pm and departed only at 3:58pm.

Thanks again all!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by tide
Wanted to come back here to provide an update on how things went.
Thanks for reporting back ^
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Just to add - the public transportation involves 3 tickets* each, so for a party of 4 it 12 tickets @ 350 HUF = 4200 HUF. The cab ride to Keleti should be around 6000 HUF, the difference is 6€ only. Easier on the family, no dragging around luggage and kids, no kiling 2 hrs at the station (not a particulary uplifting neighbourhood)

* yes, I know the underground can be absolved by one metro-transit ticket
Just to clarify this for anyone who might be thinking of doing the same bus-metro-metro journey from the airport to Keleti: you actually only need one ticket - a transfer ticket costing HUF 530 - to do this journey. You stamp once on boarding the bus and once on entering the metro system. As WilcoRoger says, transfers within the metro system do not require a further ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.