Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schengen Visa Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Schengen Visa Question

Hi, I was wondering if anybody can help me figure out the time I am allowed to stay in the Schengen zone next year.

My first trip to Europe will be

France/Italy March 9th-April 5th =28 days

So the 180 day count begins on March 9th and 180 days from then is September 5th.

I will be returning to Europe in July.

I will be in London from July 3rd to 9th, which doesn't count towards the 90 days I believe.

I will then be in the Schengen zone from July 9th-21st = 12 days

I then leave it again to go to Croatia(which doesn't count?) till July 26th.

I re-enter the Schengen zone on July 26th if I stay till September 5th that will be 41 days.

So in total that will be 81 days within 180 days.

What I want to know is if it resets automatically on September 5th and I am allotted a new 90 days? Do I have to leave the Schengen zone for it to reset or can I just stay and it resets while I am there? If I have to leave the zone, is it acceptable to fly to London on the 5th and go back into the Schengen zone on the 6th and start a new 90 in 180?

Ideally I want to stay in the Schengen Area till September 21st before flying back to Canada, I am just wondering how I go about it so that I do not overstay or if I am even allowed to do so.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by lapizzo
Hi, I was wondering if anybody can help me figure out the time I am allowed to stay in the Schengen zone next year.

My first trip to Europe will be

France/Italy March 9th-April 5th =28 days

So the 180 day count begins on March 9th and 180 days from then is September 5th.

I will be returning to Europe in July.

I will be in London from July 3rd to 9th, which doesn't count towards the 90 days I believe.

I will then be in the Schengen zone from July 9th-21st = 12 days

I then leave it again to go to Croatia(which doesn't count?) till July 26th.

I re-enter the Schengen zone on July 26th if I stay till September 5th that will be 41 days.

So in total that will be 81 days within 180 days.

What I want to know is if it resets automatically on September 5th and I am allotted a new 90 days? Do I have to leave the Schengen zone for it to reset or can I just stay and it resets while I am there? If I have to leave the zone, is it acceptable to fly to London on the 5th and go back into the Schengen zone on the 6th and start a new 90 in 180?

Ideally I want to stay in the Schengen Area till September 21st before flying back to Canada, I am just wondering how I go about it so that I do not overstay or if I am even allowed to do so.
I think this website will have the information you're looking for...

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs...g/index_en.htm
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by lapizzo
No, it is 90 days max in any period of 180 days. The concept of resetting does not apply.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:23 am

You always have to look back 180 days from the present day.

You have nine days left on 5 September. You will still have nine days left on 6 September because the first day of your first visit will have expired. You will still have nine days left on 7 September because the second day of your first visit will have expired. And so on.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by :D!
No, it is 90 days max in any period of 180 days. The concept of resetting does not apply.
Erm, not quite. This is the case in a vast majority of the Schengen states but some (notably Belgium) interpret the regulation differently. It results in a typically EU scenario where the same regulation results in being legal in one country and illegal in another.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Erm, not quite. This is the case in a vast majority of the Schengen states but some (notably Belgium) interpret the regulation differently. It results in a typically EU scenario where the same regulation results in being legal in one country and illegal in another.
Can you elaborate on how Belgium does it?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
You always have to look back 180 days from the present day.

You have nine days left on 5 September. You will still have nine days left on 6 September because the first day of your first visit will have expired. You will still have nine days left on 7 September because the second day of your first visit will have expired. And so on.
+1..
From my experience, its always looking back 180 days from the present day and seeing if you have stayed 90 days within that.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:13 am

I await the any confirmation any country party to Schengen is able to re-interpret. I am not holding my breath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.