Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which city to visit between ATH and IST?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Background: My wife and I have an intra-Europe award booking (UA) for mid-September, and our last segment is ATH-IST. However, we're allowed one more segment and have time to visit one more city for a day. Given that ATH and IST are both *A hubs, the only real airline requirement is that the city is served by both A3 and TK nonstop.

Our other stops include VIE, DBV, BUD, GVA, CDG, HAM, SKG. The wife likes scenery, architecture, and uniqueness. Given that we're both typically Oneworld flyers, we're positive we'll be hitting more of northern and western Europe in the future.

I looked at Belgrade, but it looks bleak and depressing. And Larnarca doesn't seem to have much besides a coast (and we're not divers).

Within that framework, what would you recommend as our overnight layover city? Anything I'm missing, or any hidden gems you'd recommend?

Thanks for your input!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:27 pm

Thessaloniki (SKG)?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
I looked at Belgrade, but it looks bleak and depressing. And Larnarca doesn't seem to have much besides a coast (and we're not divers).
I have never been there but that assessment of Belgrade doesn't quite match what I've heard about that city.

You couldn't do Larnaca-IST nonstop even if you wanted to (although Cyprus as a whole would be well worth it if you had more time and were willing to rent a car).

Basically you're looking to do ATH-xxx-IST with a <24hr layover in xxx? Are you allowed to do ATH-xxx-SAW instead? A3 has flights to SAW from Heraklion (HER) and Mykonos (JMK). Otherwise it's either Bucharest (OTP), Sofia (SOF), Belgrade (BEG) or maybe Kiev if you're allowed to change airports there (A3 into IEV, TK out of KBP).
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:05 pm
Suspended

If you have some Questions about Vienna (for example Public Transport) you can ask me if you want.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KLouis
Thessaloniki (SKG)?
Already on the list Wanted to see a different city.

Originally Posted by barneyg_

Basically you're looking to do ATH-xxx-IST with a <24hr layover in xxx? Are you allowed to do ATH-xxx-SAW instead? A3 has flights to SAW from Heraklion (HER) and Mykonos (JMK). Otherwise it's either Bucharest (OTP), Sofia (SOF), Belgrade (BEG) or maybe Kiev if you're allowed to change airports there (A3 into IEV, TK out of KBP).
Yep, ATH-xxx-IST was exactly what I was looking for, though I forgot about flying into SAW, so thanks for that suggestion! Unfortunately I don't think co-terminals are allowed, and I would love to visit Kiev but I'd want things to settle down a bit.

I know almost nothing about OTP and SOF, any reason you like one over the other?

I was also considering flying all the way to BRU, but I figure it's easier for me to get back to BRU than Eastern Europe.

Originally Posted by ToGo
If you have some Questions about Vienna (for example Public Transport) you can ask me if you want.
Actually, I do! What's the real difference between the S7 and CAT? It just seems like CAT is more expensive, and called CAT... otherwise they run the same route.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:08 pm
Suspended

What's the real difference between the S7 and CAT?
hmm...
if you want hear the truth... The are many haters wo would say the CAT is a rip of but...
VIE -> City = no stops, no steps to get in the train, (dependent on the time the S7 is a short train and you must fight for a seat) enough seats, Air Condition, Clean Toilette

City -> VIE = Checkin with max. 5min Waiting Time instead <30Min on the Airport for Eco.

If you want the same Comfort with a little detour you can take the ICE Train.
Check http://fahrplan.oebb.at/ for the extakt Time.
"Wien Schwechat" - "Wien Hauptbahnhof"
select "-> More" -> More options -> direct

How long are you in Vienna? When do you arrive?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Within that framework, what would you recommend as our overnight layover city? Anything I'm missing, or any hidden gems you'd recommend?
Prague.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:31 am
Suspended

the are no good flight between BER - PRG - VIE
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ToGo
the are no good flight between BER - PRG - VIE
If I understand the OP correctly, he is looking for ATH - XXX - IST routing.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
If you don't mind backtracking, what about Rome? FCO is directly served from ath by a3 and to ist by TK.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:10 pm

Yep, ATH-xxx-IST was exactly what I was looking for, though I forgot about flying into SAW, so thanks for that suggestion! Unfortunately I don't think co-terminals are allowed, and I would love to visit Kiev but I'd want things to settle down a bit.

I know almost nothing about OTP and SOF, any reason you like one over the other?

I was also considering flying all the way to BRU, but I figure it's easier for me to get back to BRU than Eastern Europe.
Yeah you have plenty of choices if you include N/W/Central Europe there (PRG, FCO, BCN, MAD, BRU, WAW, and so on) -- I assumed you wanted to stay in the region to minimize travel time.

I have never been to either Bucharest or Sofia but from what I've seen/read both would hit the uniqueness factor pretty hard compared to the rest of what you have so far. In Bucharest there's the Palace of the Parliament, which some find hideous but is still a pretty strong remnant of the Cold War. The Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia looks amazing too.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:15 pm

Belgrade is well worth a visit. Excellent food, wine and coffee. Check out the Ethnographic Museum and the Tesla Museum or just enjoy the architecture.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
VIE, DBV, BUD, GVA, CDG, HAM, SKG
VIE GVA CDG and HAM are very easy to get to from elsewhere.

BUD is also not very difficult.

DBV is doable in a day as is SKG.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks everyone for the input. Plans ended up changing and won't need to add that additional stop anymore, but PRG was the odds-on favorite.... will have to add that to the list for next time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.