Search

Driving in Belgium

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 9:55 am
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Driving in Belgium

We're travelling to Amsterdam and plan to visit Belgium as well. As we usually do, we rent a car and drive around. From guidebooks, we read about the dangerous driving habits of drivers in Brussels and that one should just leave the car in the parking at the hotel. Actually, we do not usually drive in Paris or Rome for example. Just how "bad" are the drivers in Brussels? Should we take the train to Brussels then?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2015, 12:20 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I never found Brusselaar drivers particularly dangerous, but I always found the city a bit of a pain to navigate. It has slightly archaic rules (lots of priority to the right, even on roundabouts, contrary to neighbouring Flanders) and endless, poorly signed tunnels, with a fair bit of congestion.

You have no need to a car to get you round the city - between the metro and the trams, you're well covered (it's usually quicker and easier anyway). Personally, I'd only drive from Amsterdam to Brussels if I were planning on getting to less accessible places around the country. For Brussels, Ghent, Bruges and Ostend, I wouldn't bother. Into the countryside, or stopping off en route, yes, I'd drive. But once in Brussels, I'd park up and leave it there until it's time to go...
Old May 2, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
With a GPS its easy to drive in Brussels and anywhere else in Belgium. I did it a couple of weeks ago with the family and was right in the center. But once I parked at my hotel at the Grand Place, I just walked around from there. There's not much you need transport for as a tourist. When I go on business though I always take the train and use trams/metro/taxi.
Old May 2, 2015, 7:17 am
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Thanks! Appreciate your response.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Agree with the above. There's really no need to drive in Brussels itself, and parking and congestion are usually just enough of a hassle to discourage it.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by stut
I never found Brusselaar drivers particularly dangerous, but I always found the city a bit of a pain to navigate. It has slightly archaic rules (lots of priority to the right, even on roundabouts, contrary to neighbouring Flanders) and endless, poorly signed tunnels, with a fair bit of congestion.

You have no need to a car to get you round the city - between the metro and the trams, you're well covered (it's usually quicker and easier anyway). Personally, I'd only drive from Amsterdam to Brussels if I were planning on getting to less accessible places around the country. For Brussels, Ghent, Bruges and Ostend, I wouldn't bother. Into the countryside, or stopping off en route, yes, I'd drive. But once in Brussels, I'd park up and leave it there until it's time to go...
Cannot agree more ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.