Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help planning May/June Euro trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
The best at AMS is the Sheraton which is essentially inside the airport. The majority of the rooms there have great views over the airfield. Or there's the nearby Hilton, but a lot of the rooms there will not have good views. I think both these hotels should have cash & points if you are looking to lower costs.
Thanks! I don't think Hilton is offering a cash&points redemption on my date but can check again. My SPG account is depleted, so not much doing with points there (and the rooms run over 250 Euro) unless I want to give a shot to opening another Amex account. Don't remember if it's churnable and I have already had a card a couple years back.

Last edited by highlanderfil; Apr 8, 2015 at 6:34 am
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There's another option which isn't expensive and that's the Mercure which is airside in the non-schengen area. Since you have a ticket to DTW, it makes sense to stay there anyways as you can go straight to the gate in the morning. Also you will have the run of that section of the airport while there and can do all the planespotting you want at each of the gates.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

There's another option which isn't expensive and that's the Mercure which is airside in the non-schengen area. Since you have a ticket to DTW, it makes sense to stay there anyways as you can go straight to the gate in the morning. Also you will have the run of that section of the airport while there and can do all the planespotting you want at each of the gates.
Not a bad idea, this, actually. Can you see runways from the rooms or just the gates? I'd rather take pictures of planes in flight, tbh... Also, my flight isn't in the morning, so there's that, too...
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Not a bad idea, this, actually. Can you see runways from the rooms or just the gates? I'd rather take pictures of planes in flight, tbh... Also, my flight isn't in the morning, so there's that, too...
It depends on the room. But you can take pictures in flight from the terminal. However this hotel has strict hours for day rooms or night rooms. Night rooms can only be occupied between 8pm and 9am. Then they have to clean up for the day room guests. There's only 33 rooms in the hotel.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

It depends on the room. But you can take pictures in flight from the terminal. However this hotel has strict hours for day rooms or night rooms. Night rooms can only be occupied between 8pm and 9am. Then they have to clean up for the day room guests. There's only 33 rooms in the hotel.
Got it. Eh... I'll just take a look at the hotels close to the best spotting locations (damn, lost the link - EDIT here it is).

Last edited by highlanderfil; Apr 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Hotwire taketh away (the Paris hotel is rather crappy given the virtually nonexistent discount) and Hotwire giveth. For $52 I am staying at Dorint AMS for my last night. It's not in Amstelveen like I'd been hoping, but for that price I am not complaining.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Getting back to the main point of contention: so what would be a reliable source for info about Stelvio's open/closed status?
Old May 1, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Also, updated main post. Looks like I'm in the Netherlands for a whole week and that Brussels trip just might occur.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Aaaaaalllrighty then, some major changes. Skipping Stelvio (likely closed and raining anyways, per the forecast) and Davos (just plain cold), I will be taking a night train from Nice to Colmar, so I will be in Colmar for the Pentecost just walking around. On the 26th I will grab a rental car, drive down to the car museum in Mulhouse and then head to Paris - not necessarily via a direct route. So, since I'll be a free agent with a car for a day and a half, what's there to see? I'm open to detours, so...Nancy? Reims? Metz? Orleans? Bourges? I know next to nothing about that part of France, to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.