Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on Central/Eastern European itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Comments on Central/Eastern European itinerary

was able to book award tickets flying into Prague and out of Budapest for the 2nd half of August.

Thinking of spending 2-3 nights in Prague, maybe a day trip to Dresden or Cesky Kumlov.

then 2-3 nights in Viena, maybe a day trip to Bratislava.

From Vienna, rent car, drive to Salzburg, then Lubjiana Slovenia, then Zagreb Croatia, then back to Budapest, spend 2-3 nights there.

Probably stop off at Lake Bled in Slovenia and Lake Balaton between Zagreb and Budapest.

air tickets are already set, but nothing else is.

Any recomendations how to allocate time? Anyone have any experience driving in that part of Europe, particularly the ease of driving between these cities, risk of car theft, other concerns?

We can figure out hotels and restaurants. Anything else we should be aware of? I understand there are some caves near Lake Bled.

Is Lake balaton worth a stop?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
A few thoughts on your overall itinerary, not knowing your interests:

- You're fitting a lot in. I do this as well, but not sure I'd attempt all these side trips. Prague, Vienna, Budapest alone can be a full trip for many people.

- I would consider 2-3 nights in Prague alone, taking a day trip during that time will take you away from a wonderful city with a lot to do

- I would skip Bratislava, unless it's important to you to go to Slovakia. It is a simple day trip from Vienna, but you don't have a lot of time in Vienna and frankly I find Bratislava underwhelming.

I haven't been to the lakes you mention, and you haven't been specific on how many days your trip is, but other than the comments above, I think this looks like a very solid, enjoyable itinerary. Like you, I haven't rented a car in that part of Europe, but outside of Croatia and a couple of your side trips, trains are a very convenient option that may save you some money as well.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBord
- I would consider 2-3 nights in Prague alone, taking a day trip during that time will take you away from a wonderful city with a lot to do
I agree with this, I was there 2 nights and it wasn't enough time to do everything. Vienna can be done on the 2 night side but Prague I think you'll want 3 nights in without any day trips.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've traveled all over that area so here's my tips.

It's August and most of the normal city dwellers will be off in the mountains or the beach. It will be pretty empty in Bratislava, Zagreb, etc. Prague on the other hand will be jam packed with tourists. It is a beautiful city, but I wouldn't go in August. Since you are flying in there, of course you should spend a day or two there seeing the sights, but then I would get out of town and see some of the beautiful Czech villages to the north that are great to visit. Stop at some breweries if you like beer. The drive south to Vienna isn't very exciting, but it goes by quickly.

I've never been to Budapest in August so I'm not sure how that would be, but at least spend a night or two there. But why not head up north to the Carpathian mountains? Transylvania?

Lake Bled is absolutely beautiful, but you only need a day there and it's a short drive from Ljubljana. August is a great time to explore the Adriatic coast. From the top of Croatia and down into Montenegro the beaches are great and the nightlife is really hopping.

Driving is very easy all over thanks in part to the EU. Pretty much just like western Europe or the US. Ditto for car theft as modern cars these days have eliminated a lot of theft. In any case get the insurance on your rental car. I've never had so much as a scratch in my eastern rentals, but you never know.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by LemonThrower
was able to book award tickets flying into Prague and out of Budapest for the 2nd half of August.

Thinking of spending 2-3 nights in Prague, maybe a day trip to Dresden or Cesky Kumlov.

then 2-3 nights in Viena, maybe a day trip to Bratislava.

From Vienna, rent car, drive to Salzburg, then Lubjiana Slovenia, then Zagreb Croatia, then back to Budapest, spend 2-3 nights there.

Probably stop off at Lake Bled in Slovenia and Lake Balaton between Zagreb and Budapest.

air tickets are already set, but nothing else is.

Any recomendations how to allocate time? Anyone have any experience driving in that part of Europe, particularly the ease of driving between these cities, risk of car theft, other concerns?

We can figure out hotels and restaurants. Anything else we should be aware of? I understand there are some caves near Lake Bled.

Is Lake balaton worth a stop?
an intensive one! Few thoughts from my side:
- Prague will be charming, make sure you go off-the-beaten-path. 2 days is edgy
- with all love to my Slovak friends - ditch B'lava - not worth one-day-visit.
- Cesky Krumlov is a must however it can be done on your way from Prague south (=no additional day needed)
- you're planning quite a drive in Balkans - as long as you're prepared for several hour behind the wheel and all parties in your team like it - you're fine
- tasting local beers (small crafts) and wine (small wineries) in all of those regions is a MUST. And you're right in a heart of it:
* Moravia (on your way from Prague to Vienna)
* Burgenland in Austria (just south of Vienna)
* Steiermark / Styria (on your way from Vienna to Slovenia)
* countless places in Hungary
and no, Staropramen is NOT a local beer anymore. Use RateBeer to find proper art & craftsmanship.

I love "rapid tourism", but it needs a really detailed planning! Have fun

mfk
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've traveled all over that area so here's my tips.

It's August and most of the normal city dwellers will be off in the mountains or the beach. It will be pretty empty in Bratislava, Zagreb, etc. Prague on the other hand will be jam packed with tourists. It is a beautiful city, but I wouldn't go in August.....

I've never been to Budapest in August so I'm not sure how that would be, but at least spend a night or two there. But why not head up north to the Carpathian mountains? Transylvania?...
Bratislava was pretty empty when I went - that was in February. I'm not sure it's ever all that crowded. I would consider leaving it out although the transport museum is good and the bits of the old town that haven't been done up yet are interesting. Conversely, I suspect that Prague is now one of those places that's packed pretty much all year round. I would definitely be concerned about heat and crowding - and the same concerns would apply to Budapest.

Personally I found Vienna far more enjoyable than Prague so i'd say 3 nights in Vienna. It does kind of depend on your interests though, Vienna has a load of stuff that I like.

Depending on what order you are proposing to do stuff in, you may find the overnight train from Munich to Zagreb of assistance. Munich is only a couple of hours from Salzburg. You can't take a car on it though.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks, great replies.

i should have added that we are traveling with our 12 year old son, and my wife and i separately have seen some of these cities. So its less important to us to see everything in a city than it is to see lots of different places.

To get the award tickets to work, we had to lengthen our trip a little hence the idea to make a loop and rent a car. Lake Bled and the Slovenian caves we'll pass right by, so we don't want to miss those.

Thanks for the assurances on driving/car theft in that part of the world.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks, great replies.

i should have added that we are traveling with our 12 year old son, and my wife and i separately have seen some of these cities. So its less important to us to see everything in a city than it is to see lots of different places.
I went with a 7 year old last August and he loved the Croatian coast. If you search here from last August I'm think there is a long thread about driving in and exploring Croatia. If you want to go to Montenegro, there's a secret border crossing that you will really want to learn about to avoid huge delays in the summer.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:04 am

i should have added that we are traveling with our 12 year old son, and my wife and i separately have seen some of these cities.
that kills Bratislava - interesting place for wild parties but ultra boring for a young man.

mfk
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
that kills Bratislava - interesting place for wild parties but ultra boring for a young man.

mfk
I don't think i'd take a 12 year old to Bratislava unless they were interested in history, or possibly transport - my 12 year old self would have quite liked it
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
- you're planning quite a drive in Balkans - as long as you're prepared for several hour behind the wheel and all parties in your team like it - you're fine
I would hardly describe a Vienna-Ljubljana-Zagreb-Budapest circle as "quite a drive in the Balkans" - you can do all of it on topnotch autobahns, with the longest leg (VIE - LJU) less than 400kms - 3-3,5 hrs tops. And you wouldn't even cross into the Balkans
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I would hardly describe a Vienna-Ljubljana-Zagreb-Budapest circle as "quite a drive in the Balkans" - you can do all of it on topnotch autobahns, with the longest leg (VIE - LJU) less than 400kms - 3-3,5 hrs tops. And you wouldn't even cross into the Balkans
while we might have a healthy debate if Zagreb/Lubljana are or aren't part of Balkans, you are definitely right that we're talking about using motorways. Didn't want to scare OP mfk
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta PM, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres
Don't skip out on Hungary! Lake Balaton will be fun for your son - there is so much to do.
Budapest has so much to offer and is quite reasonably priced. Your son would love the spy museum and the funicular up to Castle Hill. A day at a spa will be wonderful for you and fun for your son.
There is a really cool castle in Visegrád that your son would love. It has a lovely view of the Danube. It's a short drive from Budapest.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
while we might have a healthy debate if Zagreb/Lubljana are or aren't part of Balkans, you are definitely right that we're talking about using motorways. Didn't want to scare OP mfk
For me it's easy - former part of K.u.K? Not Balkans but Mittel-Europa.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:48 am

Agree with past posts that Budapest is worth a visit (even in August)! That seems like the perfect time of year to visit the Szechenyi baths, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.