Wiki Posts
Search

Advice re: Geneva airport facilties

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum,

Hello - I hope this is the right forum for these questions. I'm traveling through Geneva airport on January 1, arriving on UA (International First) in the AM and connecting later in the day to FCO. I'm UA Gold. My understanding is that the SwissAir Lounge had no restroom or shower facilities, but that there may be airport-managed showers near the lounge. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, will I need coins to access the showers?

I'll be working most of the night and may really need a nap upon arrival. If there are no showers available, is it worth getting a hotel room for half a day?

If I am in fact awake l have about 7 hours - is it worth making my way into the city for a bit? If I do, is there a place to leave my carry on luggage at the airport, or must I take it with me? Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can offer - I'm a total newbie to Geneva...
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

We can't remember what the shower situation is but if you need coins they will be able to help you out the in the lounge. The lounge dragons are actually quite nice in Geneva.

I can't say I remember seeing lockers anywhere. The airport website may have more information on this front than we can offer.

We do have a word of warning: Everything, but really everything will be closed on the 1st of January. Going to town might not be that exciting due to this. Also, we think that the train from the airport to city is also under construction and not running again quite yet. There is a taxi option but it will be expensive and finding a taxi back may prove a little difficult. You can not just hail a taxi anywhere like other cities. You will need to call one or find a designated taxi stand. FYI the area around the train station is the "worst" in the city. Once you get down to the lake it is a completely different feeling. Geneva is a safe city but there is some occasional crime and most of it happens either by the train station or the Jardin Anglais.

There is a Migros grocery store on the bottom level of the airport by the train station. It may be open on the 1st as it is open on most Sundays and holidays. This would be a good resource if you decide to stay in the airport.

Hotel rooms in Geneva are expensive but generally extremely clean and nice.

Have a wonderful layover in a fantastic city!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: SQ Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire RA

Get a free bus ticket in the arrivals lounge, take the 5 or 10 bus to Cornavin, walk down to the lake or the bridge over the river at the end of the lake. But expect most things to be closed....
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue to follow this thread in the Europe forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.