Wiki Posts
Search

Please help.... Trip to Frankfrut - Prague - Berlin - Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Please help.... Trip to Frankfrut - Prague - Berlin - Frankfurt

Good day,

My friend and I(2 ladies) have a travel plan as below, appreciate if anyone can help and give some comments. We will carry luggage along the journey, appreciate if you could advice the best transportation/travel Pass(by train/bus) for the journey below, i.e. convenient and reasonable price.

24/12 Frankfurt- Prague (Train)

25/12 Prague

26/12 Prague

27/12 Prague

28/12 Prague to Dresden

29/12 Dresden to Berlin

30/12 Berlin

31/12 Berlin (New Year Countdown)

1/1 Berlin-Frankfrut

2/1 Return

Many thanks and regards
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure what specific advice you're looking for, but the train is the best way to get between these cities, and at that time of year. Depending on how much luggage you have, and how far the station is from your hotel, you might think about renting a car, but you really don't need it. Berlin-Frankfurt is the only part of the journey where you could think about flying. The others are just too close.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I aware there are Bahn Cards, German Rail pass, or others available for train/bus travel, however i'm still very confuse of each of them. So just want to find out which to choose for my journey.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I would fly Frankfurt-Prague (unless you have a particular desire to use the train), and book the rest as single tickets on bahn.de.

The BahnCard 25 is an annual discount card, costing €62, so only worthwhile if your tickets are more than 4 times that.

The regional tickets will be quite cheap, but won't cover the faster (IC/ICE) trains.

The national rail pass costs $277 for 4 days, but I reckon you can do better than that booking direct.

Last edited by stut; Dec 11, 2014 at 9:10 am
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I have checked the flight Frankfurt to Prague, now the price is €156 while train+bus is around €84, price different a lot.

Is anyone have any comment on my travel plan? I think of spend 4 nights at Prague, is that too much time?

Many thanks
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can probably get it down to less than that, if you take the ICE to Regensburg, and then the Alex train from there to Prague (you can buy tickets on board the latter) - see http://www.alex.info/ - you're still looking at 7h plus connection times, though.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I agree with all of the others thatusing the train would be your best and cheapest bet for these particular sectors.

If you go on to www.bahn.de you can click on a button that will give you an English version and look up and book the cheapest tickets for the individual sectors on-line. If you have a stopover of less than 24 hours, you can do this and secure pretty cheap fares, but bear in mind you would have to commit to a particular train. Only use ICE, EC or IC as the others are far too slow and would involve lots of changing.

For example Dresden-Berlin is a two hour ride showing up at € 19 atm.

Frankfurt-Berlin is about 5 hours but available for € 59 compared to the cheapest flight which is around € 100 more
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by jessieh
I have checked the flight Frankfurt to Prague, now the price is €156 while train+bus is around €84, price different a lot.

Is anyone have any comment on my travel plan? I think of spend 4 nights at Prague, is that too much time?

Many thanks
Train the way to go. Plus it is just part of the European experience.

I think 4 days in Prague is not too much. But what do you like to do?

Since it will be cold in both places, you will be spending a lot of time in doors. Great music, some good museums, nightlife.

Alternatively, where you would spend more time if you cut Prague short?
Berlin is also an amazing city, you could spend more time there as well.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:27 am
Suspended

Yes, I might cut out one day in Prague in favour of Berlin, though at that time of year many things will be shut or have limited opening hours.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies/advice.

I thought of having day trip at Cesky Krumlov in one of the day at Prague. Is that too rush?
Is it possible to go to one shopping outlet during my journey?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:25 am
Suspended

Yes, you could go to Wertheim Village, about 45min from Frankfurt, but you'll have to sacrifice a day somewhere else, as I doubt they'll be open on New Year's Day.

http://www.wertheimvillage.com
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Thanks for all your replies/advice.

I thought of having day trip at Cesky Krumlov in one of the day at Prague. Is that too rush?

Thanks in advance
Head out early in the morning for the bus, you can still make it back to Prague to catch a late supper. Weather has been warm here so traffic shouldn't be bad.

I am doing exactly what you have planned but in reverse. All DB and CD rail, ending the trip with PRG-FRA on CSA.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:59 am

Cesky Krumlov is not only very doable in one day, it is one of the most popular day trips from Prague. It's a UNESCO world heritage site and the pride of Jihocesky Kraj. You take the student agency bus from Prague's Zlicin metro station, it's about a 2 and 1/2 hour trip. Return the same night to Prague.

By shopping outlet are you referring to US style discounted/last season shops? If not, the shopping center Palladium at Namesti Republiky in Prague is identical to a giant US shopping mall, even down to all the same food in the top floor food court.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:03 am

Sometimes taking a bus instead of a train can save you quite some money.

Check for instance meinfernbus.de or flixbus.de.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by JamesEaston
Cesky Krumlov is not only very doable in one day, it is one of the most popular day trips from Prague. It's a UNESCO world heritage site and the pride of Jihocesky Kraj. You take the student agency bus from Prague's Zlicin metro station, it's about a 2 and 1/2 hour trip. Return the same night to Prague.
CRAP! Sorry, made a mistake here. The Cesky Krumlov bus leaves from Prague's Na Knizeci bus station, a short walk from the Andel metro station. SORRY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.