Wiki Posts
Search

PRG - NRT via CDG but skipping CDG - NRT: Q RE: Customs/Passpoe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum
PRG - NRT via CDG but skipping CDG - NRT: Q RE: Customs/Passpoe

Our tickets are PRG Prague to NRT Tokyo via CDG Paris. We've decided we're not going to use the CDG to NRT leg and stay in Paris. We bought separate tickets on a separate airline from CDG to home.

My question has to do with customs/passport control/immigration in Paris. When we leave Prague, our final destination to them is Tokyo and to them, leaving the Schengen Zone. But we will be leaving the airport in Paris and staying 4 days before heading back to the U.S. So will we have to go through customs in Paris or since we originated in Prague and coming from a Schengen country, get to bypass?

This is our first Europe trip and first time using passports, so I appreciate your patience and help!

Last edited by coopgirl703; Nov 24, 2014 at 8:25 pm Reason: Wasn't finished
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:28 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
No, as long as you follow the arrivals route and not the transfer one, there will be no immigration controls on arrival.

Do be aware though that skipping a leg in a ticket will result in all subsequent legs being automatically cancelled, but it sounds like you've got this covered.

If you have checked bags, you may also find it difficult to get them short checked to Paris instead of all the way to Tokyo. The check in agent may refuse if the transfer is under 24 hours.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by stut
...If you have checked bags, you may also find it difficult to get them short checked to Paris instead of all the way to Tokyo. The check in agent may refuse if the transfer is under 24 hours.
I absolutely agree. I think that the only chance you have is a) if your scheduled stay is longer than 60-90 min. and b) if you could convince the CI people that you do have to access something that can't be put in your carry-on (large amount of liquid?).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum
Thank you for your replies! It's an 11 hour layover so Im hoping we can pick up luggage in Paris if we have that much. Otherwise I plan to check costs of shipping any extras from Prague to our hotel instead of back to the US since we'll have 3 free checked bags.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
In PRG there will be no customs/immigration as you fly to CDG. Upon landing in CDG you just walk out the airport (as if you flew from ORD to JFK)

When you leave CDG you'll have/should have immigration check - but they are not interested in the least what kind of tickets you had used or had not used. It's strictly between you and the airline concerned.

The checked bag might be an issue, as others already mentioned - if it's a flex ticket, change the CDG-NRT leg for later, then you'll get your stuff in CDG without any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.