Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap One Way Car Rental Munich to Milan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

I'm trying to drive from Munich to Chiasso to Milan but finding most of the rental agencies want to charge me at least 250 Euros of a one-way fee for such a trip. (Avis showed me the price as $76 with $450 of surcharges when I went to book). At that point I'm better off flying to Milan and driving up to Chiasso

Anyone have any recommendations on rental agencies that don't charge such high one way fees or maybe a discount code that eliminates them?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You pretty much don't get cheap one-way international car hire rates in Europe, with a handful of exceptions. There was a scheme set up by Hertz during the Eyjafjallajokul (sp?) ash cloud (http://www.hertz-transfer.eu/) but this is no longer active for private customers.

If you're just doing the journey direct, then it's a pleasant train journey with a transfer in Zurich (alternatively, there's a bus direct from Munich airport to Zurich, then the train from there).

If you're looking to stop off on the way over a few days, you may be better off getting a one-way rental solely within Switzerland.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYTA
I'm trying to drive from Munich to Chiasso to Milan but finding most of the rental agencies want to charge me at least 250 Euros of a one-way fee for such a trip. (Avis showed me the price as $76 with $450 of surcharges when I went to book). At that point I'm better off flying to Milan and driving up to Chiasso

Anyone have any recommendations on rental agencies that don't charge such high one way fees or maybe a discount code that eliminates them?
All car rental agencies in Europe will hammer you with a high fee if you drop the car in a different another country to the one in which you picked up the car. It is a bit like hiring a car in San Antonio, TX and dropping it off in Monterrey in Mexico. I suspect that you would struggle equally hard to find a car rental agency that would not charge you a big drop-off fee (if they allow it at all, that is).

Fly to Milan or take the train (although the latter is quite slow but can be done overnight direct if going to Milan).

Last edited by NickB; Nov 18, 2014 at 2:54 am
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:12 am

If you don't need a car while you're in Chiasso, take train/bus from Munich to Zurich, then train from Zurich to Chiasso. If you need a car there, fly Munich to Milano (or Bergamo/Lugano) and rent a car there (I assume your eventual departure will be from Milano once you finished in Chiasso?) - cheaper to rent a car in Italy than renting it in Switzerland, and that way you also get your ride from the airport to Chiasso.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Train/bus isn't an option for me as I have an event in Munich that ends around 8pm the night before I have to be in Chiasso at Noon - all the evening trains make 2-4 changes to get there which means no sleep. My plan was to leave the event and stop halfway - Vaduz or Chur - and then drive the rest of the way in the morning. I'll probably just fly to Milan in the morning and drive up to Chiasso instead.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
You pretty much don't get cheap one-way international car hire rates in Europe, with a handful of exceptions. There was a scheme set up by Hertz during the Eyjafjallajokul (sp?) ash cloud (http://www.hertz-transfer.eu/) but this is no longer active for private customers.

If you're just doing the journey direct, then it's a pleasant train journey with a transfer in Zurich (alternatively, there's a bus direct from Munich airport to Zurich, then the train from there).

If you're looking to stop off on the way over a few days, you may be better off getting a one-way rental solely within Switzerland.
That Hertz site is quite interesting. If it isn't for private customers, who is it for? What kind of account does one need?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
All car rental agencies in Europe will hammer you with a high fee if you drop the car in a different another country to the one in which you picked up the car. It is a bit like hiring a car in San Antonio, TX and dropping it off in Monterrey in Mexico. I suspect that you would struggle equally hard to find a car rental agency that would not charge you a big drop-off fee (if they allow it at all, that is).

Fly to Milan or take the train (although the latter is quite slow but can be done overnight direct if going to Milan).
Given that we're talking about the European Union, I'd say it's more like renting in New York and returning in Virginia than Texas to Mexico but I guess the Schengen area doesn't apply to rental cars yet
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:43 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I believe the Hertz site is now for employees only.

Flying to Milan and driving (or getting the train) would certainly be an easier option. An alternative is to take the night train - there is one from Munich to Milan (via Verona rather than Chiasso, annoyingly) that leaves about 9pm.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
I believe the Hertz site is now for employees only.

Flying to Milan and driving (or getting the train) would certainly be an easier option. An alternative is to take the night train - there is one from Munich to Milan (via Verona rather than Chiasso, annoyingly) that leaves about 9pm.
I just called the Munich airport station of Hertz and they said they don't even have any Italian registered cars there despite the website showing many. They did suggest I call back next week in case the situation changes. I thought about that night train to Milan but it cuts things a little close if I arrive late in Milan. The last German night train I took from Cologne to Milan via Zurich caused me to miss my connection in Zurich when we arrived late and it cost a fortune for a so-so cabin. Looking like it's the Munich Sheraton and Air Dolomiti to Bergamo for me!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYTA
Given that we're talking about the European Union, I'd say it's more like renting in New York and returning in Virginia than Texas to Mexico but I guess the Schengen area doesn't apply to rental cars yet
I very deliberately made that comparison precisely because it is most definitely not like inter-state rentals within the US. The EU is not a state and most businesses are still organised along national lines within the EU. Car rental companies in different European countries do not function as a single unit. It is no different to car rental companies in different countries of Latin America, for instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.