Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

20-hour layover in Amsterdam: Stay in city center or near airport? Any lunch recs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20-hour layover in Amsterdam: Stay in city center or near airport? Any lunch recs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I see that further down the front page there is already a thread asking for Amsterdam restaurant recommendations but noticed that those seemed to favor dinner over lunch. I will be stopping by Amsterdam for a long layover from 9pm to the afternoon of the next day. As such, I don't think I'll be heading to any dinner spots. Does anyone have any spots that they would recommend for lunch or just for a quick meal? Am a bit of a foodie so don't hesitate to recommend the weird stuff.

And also, is it more recommended to stay near the airport or in Centraal? I've heard it both ways in the research I've done so far from a quick 'Amsterdam Layover' search in these forums.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Defintely head into Amsterdam I'd say. Train takes about 30 minutes and is very regular. A 10 minute tram takes you down to the Leidseplein where you have a wide range of attractions from Alto jazz bar - equally popular with local regulars as it is with tourists. Boat tours leave from there, the Museumplein is just next door as is Vondepark for a stroll if it's a nice day. You'll have time for at least one activity depending on how relaxed a day you would like.

From Leideplein you can either bus to the airport, walk to Centraal - 20 minutes or hop on a tram to Centraal then train.

A good spot for lunch near the Leidseplein is In de Burt. If you stay in Centraal you have some solid Chinese and Thai options, but most restaurants are more tourist focused, so be aware.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I agree with the previous poster, take the train to Centraal. Given your arrival time, I'd probably suggest staying near the train station for two reasons...1) check in, drop off your bag, and you have a little time to walk toward Jordaan for a beer or whatever you're interested in...2) leave your bag at the hotel the next day instead of dragging it around on a tram or while walking, and then pick it up on the way back to the train station. Canal tours also leave near there too if you're interested. It's personal preference, but I find the Leidesplein a little touristy and try to avoid meals there.

I've stayed at the Renaissance a couple times, which is an easy stroll with luggage from the station, but there are other options nearby too.

Unfortunately, while I'm a bit of a foodie myself, I tend to go light on lunches, so can't help much there. Amsterdam isn't really a foodie city in my opinion.

I'll be in Amsterdam for about 36 hours in 2 weeks, and having done many of the tourist things, this thread caught my eye. Hopefully you'll get some more lunch recs I can use as well!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
JBord - How is that Renaissance there? Will be staying there this summer? Hints for things to do right in that area?
Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
JBord - How is that Renaissance there? Will be staying there this summer? Hints for things to do right in that area?
Thanks
I would say it's average for a Renaissance. I've been in one perfectly good room, and one a few years back that was a little older. I'm certain there are better hotels in Amsterdam for the same price, but I like the location. I've heard other people prefer the other Marriott closer to the museums and Leidesplein, but I haven't stayed there so can't compare. The concierge lounge at the Ren is good, the standard Europe offering as I recall. I haven't been there for about 2 years so my info is a little dated.

Things to do always depend on what your interests are. It's less than a 5 minute walk to the canal tour boats, which I recommend. Probably about 5-10 mins to the Red Light and Oude Kerk in one direction or to Jordaan the opposite direction. Maybe 15-20 to the museums, or a tram ride.

The Anne Frank museum is in the Jordaan (or close, I'm no expert), as are a lot of good bars and restaurants with more of a neighborhood feel.

Also, if you're interested in going outside the city, I did a great bus tour to Edam, Alkmaar, and Zans Schanse (spell?), which was a half day and leaves from Damrak, right around the corner from the hotel. I usually detest these types of things but was talked into it and actually enjoyed touring the windmills, seeing the dykes, etc. The concierge at the Ren recomended it.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's great. Thanks!
We are headed there with 2 kids 9 & 11, and the Ren was the only hotel that would accommodate 4 of us.
Thanks for the heads up on the tour. We will likely do that as you are the second person to recommend it.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
That's great. Thanks!
We are headed there with 2 kids 9 & 11, and the Ren was the only hotel that would accommodate 4 of us.
Thanks for the heads up on the tour. We will likely do that as you are the second person to recommend it.
ah...more information!

I would definitely recommend the windmill tour for kids that age. Bring a few snacks for the bus!

You may also find the Leidesplein area a better spot for kids as far as restaurants. Have fun!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
The canal tour was great!

We also did the bus tour, but if only one - do the boat.

As to food recommendations - the brownies are awesome
after the kids go to sleep.

Favorite gift everyone raved over were the inexpensive wooden tulips.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:15 pm

I was just in Amsterdam and for lunch, I'd recommend finding a place on Haarlemmerstraat, which is a street that connects the area around Centraal with the Jordaan. I asked some shopkeepers there for recommendations and ended up here: http://www.restaurantstout.nl/upload...aart/lunch.pdf Not a "foodie" spot and not the best meal of my life, but I was mainly looking for a simple, neighborhood place. If you don't like the look of this, there are plenty of other options within a quarter mile.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
For one night I'd recommend an airport hotel - there are several decent choices, rather than dragging your bags back and forth. Just drop your bags at the hotel and catch a train into town. The next morning you just need to roll out of bed and you're at the airport.

There is both a Hilton and Sheraton, but when traveling alone I'm perfectly happy with the Citizen M.

Agree on Haarlemmerstraat for lunch options. Or there are small cafes littering the general area between Centraal station and Leidseplein or museum area.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I would say it's average for a Renaissance. I've been in one perfectly good room, and one a few years back that was a little older. I'm certain there are better hotels in Amsterdam for the same price, but I like the location. I've heard other people prefer the other Marriott closer to the museums and Leidesplein, but I haven't stayed there so can't compare.
I stayed at both and I prefer the Renaissance.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by florin
I stayed at both and I prefer the Renaissance.
I was just there again last weekend. The room was a little better than I remembered. The location was closer to Jordaan than I remembered too...you can be there in a couple minutes. it was maybe a 5 minute walk, with suitcase, from the train station.

Two other things I noticed: the exec lounge only had beer and wine, didn't see any liquor, and the mini stropwaffels they had at the front desk last time were replaced by fruit .
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I was just there again last weekend. The room was a little better than I remembered. The location was closer to Jordaan than I remembered too...you can be there in a couple minutes. it was maybe a 5 minute walk, with suitcase, from the train station.

Two other things I noticed: the exec lounge only had beer and wine, didn't see any liquor, and the mini stropwaffels they had at the front desk last time were replaced by fruit .
Thanks for the update. Appreciate it. Will give a report when I go in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.