Wiki Posts
Search

Switzerland [end of November, seven days]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Switzerland [end of November, seven days]

Looking at heading to Zrh in Novemeber, tentatively Nov 21-29. We would then take the train to Zermatt to Ski and would like to find a nice Christmas market somewhere along the way. My questions are-
1.) How will the snow be at this time, I understand they have glacier skiing, but should the rest of the mountain be open?
2). Where would be the best christmas market within about 3 or 4 hours of Zermatt?
3.) Would it be recommended to check out one more country and return home from say MXP?
4.) Could we make it to Vienna in our allotted time and enjoy ourselves?

Side note: we have been to Italy, France, and German. This is why I was thinking possibly Austria,(somewhere new) since I have heard the christmas markets there would be wonderful.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:33 pm

Switzerland Christmas Market info:

http://www.brunnvalla.ch/weihnachtsmaerkte/schweiz.html

Seems like you only have about a week, so I would probably spend the whole time enjoying Switzerland. Otherwise, you'd just be checking things off of a bucket list by trying to travel to other countries additionally.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Before you head off to Zermatt, you might want to take in the Zurich Christmas Market, which opens November 20 according to this:

http://www.christmasmarkets.com/Switzerland.html
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Nanook
Before you head off to Zermatt, you might want to take in the Zurich Christmas Market, which opens November 20 according to this:

http://www.christmasmarkets.com/Switzerland.html
The Basel Christmas market is much better. And I live just outside of ZRH.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Stick to Switzerland.

Ski your 3 or 4 days in Zermatt and then split your time between ZRH and BSL. It's only an hour or so by train from ZRH to BSL. You can check out both Christmas markets .

You could also do a day trip to Luzern. Unless you fly to VIE from ZRH, it will take most of a day to travel and another day back (or you could fly out of VIE).

Ditto MXP. While the Zurich to Milan train line through the Gotthard pass is beautiful, with only 8 days (including Zermatt skiing), you're better off spending quality time in Switzerland.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Ski your 3 or 4 days in Zermatt and then split your time between ZRH and BSL. It's only an hour or so by train from ZRH to BSL. You can check out both Christmas markets
If the OP will be in Zürich anyways, the the Christmas market will probably be okay. But it's not worth going to Zürich for the just Christmas market here. Basel's is huge.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:28 am

And if you are making it to BSL, carry on by train for another 40 mins or so to Colmar in France (Alsace) where our Christmas market opens on 21 November, and enjoy Alsacian and French specialities in addition to your trip to Switzerland.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
And if you are making it to BSL, carry on by train for another 40 mins or so to Colmar in France (Alsace) where our Christmas market opens on 21 November, and enjoy Alsacian and French specialities in addition to your trip to Switzerland.
I nearly added that. The christmas market in Colmar is also great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.