Wiki Posts
Search

Europe: Warm Cokes and Public Buildings

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 11:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
As a matter of cost, Europeans would do well to aggressively use and become acclimated to air conditioning for three months out of the year. They would then not feel the need to crank up the heat to such insane levels during colder months, and would thus save a lot on utilities.
I'm curious as to where this experience is from, as it's certainly not mine - the heating goes up to about 19C (a summer temperature), I wouldn't dream of having it on overnight or during daylight hours, and the slightest hint of sun, whatever the temperature, is shorts and t-shirt weather. And let's not forget the obligatory childhood dips in the North Sea...

Remember that Europe is not a country - equating Mediterranean and Nordic attitudes to weather and temperature makes no more sense than equating Canadian and Mexican ones!
Old May 28, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I need 72F inside during the winter and my weekly Sauna goes up to 200F. In the winter it may be complemented with a dip in the snow.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Agree that the attitudes toward heating described here do not reflect my experiences. I have been to Germany in December and January several times and have found that hotels do not allow you to crank up the heat to my liking. Admittedly, I am a tiny thing with little body fat to insulate me, but I invariably find myself asking for extra blankets/duvets, and, once, when I caught the dastardly cold everyone in Berlin seemed to have that year, a space heater ended up being sent up to the room for a few days, as I found myself shivering under blankets and duvets, sipping at hot chamomile with honey, sucking on Mucoangin for the sore throat and GeloRevoice to regain my lost voice (I highly recommend both of theses, btw; they are OTC).

Looking at photos from that trip, I had my coat on in museums pretty consistently, and kept a cardigan or jacket on at restaurants. I'm a NYer, so I am outdoors in all sorts of weather, rain sleet, hail or snow all the time. But Germany is not overheated in winter.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
As I mentioned, my observation comes primarily from France and the UK. It is especially in Paris that I have seen people bundled up so aggressively in moderate weather.

In Italy I believe there are supposedly laws as to when hotels are allowed to turn on the AC. The problem with this is that if an early or late bout of hot weather hits, the hotel guests are left to suffer. Oddly enough, I think the most expensive luxury hotels are somehow exempt from this regulation, but it is clearly more than just the hotel not catering to the guest.

I fully agree that Europe is a big place, and was only commenting that I understand the OP's frustration. As a practical matter I rarely drink Cokes and learn to live with almost-room-temperature water. There have been a few times when hotel rooms have been so hot I literally couldn't sleep, but most times I manage just fine. It doesn't stop me from wishing I could have more ice and cooler temperatures in buildings, though.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may rest assured that if I had a business in the U.S. which served 25 percent or more Europeans, I would be very aware of their tendency to hate ice and cold drinks and would try to ensure that they got drinks with no or little ice when they requested them. I do find it odd that when I'm in Europe and ask for "lots" of ice I generally get two slivers of ice instead of one, from businesses which know or ought to know that most Americans simply love ice.
I guess you tend to under-estimate our mental blocks as human beings, just as much in the US as in Europe or indeed anywhere else, to go along with something which our mind processes as weird or abnormal.

To take a more extreme example of this phenomenon, I am sure that if I asked you for a large spoonful of salt to put in my coffee, you would probably ask me to confirm and re-confirm a couple of times before actually doing it or you may even think that I am pulling your leg and not do it at all or, more likely, you may think that I must have meant sugar rather than salt and bring me a very sweet coffee instead of the the salty coffee I asked for. Your mind will want to reject the idea of salt being added to coffee even though this is what your ears heard.

At a less marked level, there is a bit of that happening with the ice. While there are exceptions, usually when I ask for only a little ice in my drink in the US , the effect is that the quantity reduces from 75% to something that feels like 2/3rds or 50%, in any event something that feels to me still as far too much ice for my liking. When your European waiter increases the ice contents by 100%, they will equally feel that what they have given you IS "lots of ice" even if it still looks to you as derisory. Even if you insist, they are likely to feel unsure about what they will probably regard as "drowning" the drink and therefore "not right."

You can let these things annoy you or you can go with the flow and accept that some things will be different where you are compared to home and take that as part of the experience of being elsewhere.

Last edited by NickB; May 28, 2014 at 5:44 pm
Old May 28, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by librarygal
I love to travel in Europe
Please re-read your post and confirm that this statement is true.
3) Single Beds at non historic hotels in suburban locations.

Yes, I can understand that a hotel in a historic district has to have a small single bed but why must a newly constructed hotel in a suburban location have to have two single beds right next to each other. I travel with friends and have a hard time with single beds inches from my traveling companion- they are friends not lovers!
I stay in hotels in city centers several times a month (I presume this is what you mean by a "historic district") all the time and my rooms typically have king-sized beds. Indeed, many of the hotels in these areas are old (possibly historic) buildings (forgetting about their surroundings for a moment). I can't recall seeing anything approaching a single bed in any of these establishments.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by NickB
You can let these things annoy you or you can go with the flow and accept that some things will be different where you are compared to home and take that as part of the experience of being elsewhere.
NickB, I do go with the flow. As I said, sometimes I find the whole thing comical. And I find some things in Europe superior to the way we do things in the U.S. I remember a trip years ago when I arrived in Lugano, Switzerland and made my usual plea for "lots of ice" and they actually gave it to me. It was one of the best drinks I've ever had.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yeah, I really think any comment about the heat being turned way up is a one off issue. I actually have this problem a lot more in the US where people seem to be less concerned about using energy. In the summer when I am dressed in light clothes to deal with heat, the inside temperature is kept well below my liking via AC. In the winter when when I am dressed in warmer clothing, the heat can be turned to unreasonably hot for someone already wearing several layers.

I don't understand about being hot in general, I would say Madrid is certainly cooler than most of Mississippi pretty much any time of year.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NickB, I do go with the flow.
Yes: you seemed quite relaxed about it. I did not mean to suggest that you did not. It was a kind of generic you rather than Rebelyell.
As I said, sometimes I find the whole thing comical.
Yep. Precisely how I feel about it too.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This house temperature thing is not borne out in fact. I've lived in Asia, Europe, and North America and whenever friends from the US or Canada visit us in the winter, they tell us that our house feels very cold. We keep the thermostat at 19-20C, so 66-68F, and always have to crank it up for them.

Several years ago we lost power for a week at our place in southern Florida after hurricane Wilma. No air conditioning for several days. It was a bit warm during the day, but the nights, with open windows, we're bliss!
Old May 29, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by jspira
Please re-read your post and confirm that this statement is true.

I stay in hotels in city centers several times a month (I presume this is what you mean by a "historic district") all the time and my rooms typically have king-sized beds. Indeed, many of the hotels in these areas are old (possibly historic) buildings (forgetting about their surroundings for a moment). I can't recall seeing anything approaching a single bed in any of these establishments.
Then you obviously have a bigger budget for hotels than I do - or than I suspect the OP does. Personally I choose to sacrifice room/bed size for a central location.

Originally Posted by ysolde
Agree that the attitudes toward heating described here do not reflect my experiences. I have been to Germany in December and January several times and have found that hotels do not allow you to crank up the heat to my liking. Admittedly, I am a tiny thing with little body fat to insulate me, but I invariably find myself asking for extra blankets/duvets, and, once, when I caught the dastardly cold everyone in Berlin seemed to have that year, a space heater ended up being sent up to the room for a few days, as I found myself shivering under blankets and duvets, sipping at hot chamomile with honey, sucking on Mucoangin for the sore throat and GeloRevoice to regain my lost voice (I highly recommend both of theses, btw; they are OTC).

Looking at photos from that trip, I had my coat on in museums pretty consistently, and kept a cardigan or jacket on at restaurants. I'm a NYer, so I am outdoors in all sorts of weather, rain sleet, hail or snow all the time. But Germany is not overheated in winter.
Having checked into a German hotel room in December and found the window wide open i'm inclined to agree with you. Even with the window closed and the heating turned up its still wasn't overly warm - I was perfectly comfy but i'm rather lardier than you.

As I mentioned, my observation comes primarily from France and the UK. It is especially in Paris that I have seen people bundled up so aggressively in moderate weather.

In Italy I believe there are supposedly laws as to when hotels are allowed to turn on the AC. The problem with this is that if an early or late bout of hot weather hits, the hotel guests are left to suffer. Oddly enough, I think the most expensive luxury hotels are somehow exempt from this regulation, but it is clearly more than just the hotel not catering to the guest.

I fully agree that Europe is a big place, and was only commenting that I understand the OP's frustration. As a practical matter I rarely drink Cokes and learn to live with almost-room-temperature water. There have been a few times when hotel rooms have been so hot I literally couldn't sleep, but most times I manage just fine. It doesn't stop me from wishing I could have more ice and cooler temperatures in buildings, though.
Try Newcastle by way of contrast to Paris.

And I will agree with you that room temperature tap water is not a nice thing to drink.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
As a matter of cost, Europeans would do well to aggressively use and become acclimated to air conditioning for three months out of the year. They would then not feel the need to crank up the heat to such insane levels during colder months, and would thus save a lot on utilities.
Conversely, Americans would do well to turn up the heat in the winter. They would tolerate summer temperatures better and would not feel the need to crank up the AC to such insane levels in the summer, and would thus save a lot of electricity/fuel.

I'm not trying to be a PITA; I'm just trying to illustrate that it's a matter of preference (or better yet, habit). Different strokes for different folks. The important part, as you pointed out yourself, is to be flexible and to accept the local customs.

Fun fact: my sister traveled to Thailand with her ex-husband - he would only leave the hotel room in the evening because it was too hot for him during the day. He traveled all that way to stay mostly inside a hotel room with the AC blasted.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:37 am

I love to travel in Europe but certain aspects of the European experience just drive me nuts. Let me get some things off my chest that really bugged me during my last trips to France and Italy.

(Don't tell me not to travel to Europe if I don't like it; that silly reply will go in one ear and out the other!)

1) Warm Coke (Soft Drinks). Limited Ice or Refrigeration
No, nowhere in Europe have I ever had any problems finding cold beverages. Usually in a refrigerator next to the cashier. I can imagine quite a few things worse.

2) The broken Air-Conditioning at the hotel.
Never happened to me, but I understand what you mean.

There are a few differences between the EU and the US, the definition of "single", "double", "large" and "extra" are certainly part of these differences.

4) Lack of vending machines
I seem to see Selecta machines wherever I go.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:18 pm
Suspended

I love to travel in Europe but certain aspects of the European experience just drive me nuts. Let me get some things off my chest that really bugged me during my last trips to France and Italy.

(Don't tell me not to travel to Europe if I don't like it; that silly reply will go in one ear and out the other!)

1) Warm Coke (Soft Drinks). Limited Ice or Refrigeration

I spend lots of time walking the streets in European cities and get warm and thirsty. I get so tired walking into warm shops or restaurants/bars without air-conditioning to purchase a soft drink and finding the only drinks they offer the public cost well over 4 EURO and are warm. No ice is available and the refrigerators they use must be set at 65 degrees to save energy. There is nothing worse than a warm Coke.

2) The broken Air-Conditioning at the hotel.

I can't count the number of times I have traveled in the summer and paid extra to stay at a place that had air conditioning only to be told it was broken and they were waiting for a repair. They promise it will be fixed but the date is always a few days after I am scheduled to leave.

Yes, I can understand that a hotel in a historic district has to have a small single bed but why must a newly constructed hotel in a suburban location have to have two single beds right next to each other. I travel with friends and have a hard time with single beds inches from my traveling companion- they are friends not lovers!

4) Lack of vending machines

Why can't they have vending machines where I can get a candy bar or very chilled soda like the USA?
Well.I would think that this has got something to do with demand,most people do not care enough abouth theese things to make it profitable to suply then,same would surly be the case for a traveling Thais comming to Europe or the US,complaining abouth the absence of those snack stands With the scroumptious fried insects!!

As for costs,my experience is that most western European countries are no more expensive for the merchandise you mention tha f.instance Manhattan,and the person that sells it to you would not be willing to work for a US minimum wage in those countries.Four Euro for a small softdrink is only charged in very special locations,AND all over Norway offcs.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Will librarygal ever come back or have we scared her away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.