Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to the city using Uber?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to the city using Uber?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:52 am

Update: we used Uber Black while in Amsterdam and the service was fantastic. Used to & from the airport and, also, to go to restaurants.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:56 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Update: we used Uber Black while in Amsterdam and the service was fantastic. Used to & from the airport and, also, to go to restaurants.
That's great to hear!

Also, as of a few weeks ago UBER-POP is now available in Amsterdam. This is the low cost service. Usually just a "small" Volkswagen or equivalent. As low as 20€ +/- from the airport.

I've yet to use UBER-POP from Schiphol, but I have used it within Amsterdam once (had to transport my Jura Cappuccino machine home from repair, and my coordination does not allow me to carry a heavy machine and bike at the same time). Fare was very reasonable (for Amsterdam) for a short trip, €6 total.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:31 pm

AMS to the Nieuwmarkt area was €45. Nieuwmarkt to Ron Gastrobar was €20 and return was €23. Not sure why the difference in price because the return trip seemed to be quicker & more direct than the trip to the restaurant. Regardless, the service was excellent for all of our trips. I think the longest that we had to wait for a car to show up was 6-7 minutes. Shortest was 1 minute.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
AMS to the Nieuwmarkt area was €45. Nieuwmarkt to Ron Gastrobar was €20 and return was €23. Not sure why the difference in price because the return trip seemed to be quicker & more direct than the trip to the restaurant. Regardless, the service was excellent for all of our trips. I think the longest that we had to wait for a car to show up was 6-7 minutes. Shortest was 1 minute.
Did you like Ron Gastrobar? It's a short walk from my apartment. I really like it quite a lot. Great steaks, and very nice small plates.

I seldom take Uber or taxis within Amsterdam because bike/tram/bus are usually equally convenient.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Did you like Ron Gastrobar? It's a short walk from my apartment. I really like it quite a lot. Great steaks, and very nice small plates.

I seldom take Uber or taxis within Amsterdam because bike/tram/bus are usually equally convenient.
Ron was great! We shared 5 of the small plates plus dessert. I'd definitely go back there. We had one of our best ever gin & tonics at Ron. The gin and the tonic they use is fabulous. Also, since I'm into dark chocolate, I went to Puccini Bomboni. Enjoyed that too.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:32 am

Ron was great! We shared 5 of the small plates plus dessert. I'd definitely go back there. We had one of our best ever gin & tonics at Ron. The gin and the tonic they use is fabulous. Also, since I'm into dark chocolate, I went to Puccini Bomboni. Enjoyed that too.
Yes, the cocktails are amazing. I'll try to post a pic of the cocktail menu; if I can find one in my archives.

For those curious, the link to the restaurant in Amsterdam Oud-Zuid :

Ron Gastrobar

Ron Blaauw is a very famous Dutch chef, a few details :

In 1999, he started his own restaurant Ron Blaauw in Ouderkerk aan de Amstel. In 2004 and 2005 he was awarded one Michelin star for his cooking there. From 2006 to present he was awarded two stars each year by the Michelin Guide.

After a long and strict procedure, Blaauw was appointed SVH-meesterkok in June 2010.

In 2011, Blaauw moved his restaurant to Amsterdam. At the old location he created a new bistro-type fish restaurant with the name Ron's Vis van de Dag (Eng.: Ron's Fish of the Day).

On 27 March 2013, Ron Blaauw announced that he would close his eponymous restaurant on 30 March and open Ron Gastrobar on the same location on 4 April
Old May 12, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Apologies for bumping an old thread.

Family of 5 visiting AMS this summer and considering Uber for the airport to city transits. We won't have a lot of luggage (a few bags). It doesn't look like there are large enough Uber vehicles in AMS to transport the whole family so we may need to use the train. Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 12, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Fly'nAAgain
Apologies for bumping an old thread.

Family of 5 visiting AMS this summer and considering Uber for the airport to city transits. We won't have a lot of luggage (a few bags). It doesn't look like there are large enough Uber vehicles in AMS to transport the whole family so we may need to use the train. Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks in advance!
Maximum of 4 passengers (3 back, 1 front) in an UBER Luxury (legally and comfortably).
There is a taxi-stand which has "mini-van" taxis outside of Schiphol. There is seldom much of a wait.

Otherwise, the train (or bus, depending on which hotel you are going to) works well.

I have had friends fit as many as 8 in a (regular) taxi/UBER; but I am friends with a LOT of crazy people.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Maximum of 4 passengers (3 back, 1 front) in an UBER Luxury (legally and comfortably).
There is a taxi-stand which has "mini-van" taxis outside of Schiphol. There is seldom much of a wait.

Otherwise, the train (or bus, depending on which hotel you are going to) works well.

I have had friends fit as many as 8 in a (regular) taxi/UBER; but I am friends with a LOT of crazy people.
I love it!!

Thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with the mini van taxi since it's the family.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Fly'nAAgain
I love it!!

Thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with the mini van taxi since it's the family.
I am happy to PM the number for a (taxi) reliable service that you could make an appointment with for pick-up. (You would be able to contact them via WhatsApp.) But, personally, it is probably easier to just "grab a cab" at the airport taxi line.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:51 pm

Exclamation For the benefit of anyone looking up this thread

DO NOT use the services of regular taxi drivers who may come up to you outside the airport. They're a rip off (and drive crap cars) even though they have a meter and driver badge, etc.

Pre-arranged luxury ride should be 50-55 euros to main center.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im looking for a cheap way to get from Schiphol to the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Schiphol at 1am. The free bus no longer runs at that hour, and taxis appear to be as much as 20 euros one way. Any ideas?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Im looking for a cheap way to get from Schiphol to the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Schiphol at 1am. The free bus no longer runs at that hour, and taxis appear to be as much as 20 euros one way. Any ideas?
uberPOP (the lowest cost UBER option), have them meet you at the Sheraton Airport (directly across the street). IMO, this is the easiest meeting point. Schiphol now has unlimited (free) WIFI so should be relatively easy to request an UBER while in the Airport Plaza area. Grab a coffee, request the UBER and wait until he is just about to arrive (and you have the license plate #) to go outside to the Sheraton to meet the driver.

edit to add :
Fare quote : 1118 CP TO 1117 CE (pretty sure that is your hotel)

uberPOP € 8-11
uberX € 13-17
UberBLACK € 19-24
UberLUX € 24-30

Last edited by baccarat_king; Sep 23, 2015 at 7:31 am
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:47 am

Is it relevant to mention that the legal status of uberpop is dubious at best?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by wijnands
Is it relevant to mention that the legal status of uberpop is dubious at best?
I think it's worth mentioning. But, as with most things in life, I do believe you have to weigh the overall risk.

I'm personally NOT a fan of POP, but when someone asks for a "cheap" non-public transport solution (in Amsterdam) that is one alternative. The other alternative is to say, ride a bike or that there is none.

My "gut" tells me that since POP continues to operate and has not been shut down; the risks are limited. I would also say, that now that there is UberX as an option.. if one was concerned (worried) I would advise them to choose the slightly more expensive UberX service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.