Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotels in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, IHG-Pt, HH-D, BW-D
Best Hotels in Athens

I'll be traveling to Greece later this fall with the significant other. We would like to spend a couple nights in Athens to see the city and experience the restaurants and nightlife.

I'm looking for a couple hotel recommendations. A good location is key.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I know you are asking for hotel recommendations but I can thoroughly recommend Funky Gourmet for dinner.

Believe it's it a Michelan star and their tasting menu is special and well worth the money if you are looking for a treat.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Grande Bretagne, great for walking to all sights, roof top restaurant outstanding and at night you can watch lights go on at Parthenon.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
I stayed at the Hilton Athens last year and thought it was great. As as Diamond, I received an upgraded suite. The Executive Lounge was pretty nice (with complimentary alcoholic drinks from 5-7pm or so). Easily walkable to the metro and some nice restaurants nearby.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Marriott?

Headed to Athens in October and am looking for a nice hotel with a Pool that we can use in October. A friend suggested Marriott. Anyone has stayed at this Marriott? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:07 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Headed to Athens in October and am looking for a nice hotel with a Pool that we can use in October. A friend suggested Marriott. Anyone has stayed at this Marriott? Any recommendations?

Thanks
The Marriott has a very poor location outside the center of Athens. The Grande-Bretagne and the Hilton both have a great indoor pool, with the Grande-Bretagne being located on Parliament Square and the Hilton being somewhat farther from the city center. I have never tried the King George, so cannot comment on an indoor pool there.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC Grande-Bretagne and King George are both Starwood and before SPG were AmEx FHR, so they probably still are. They might also participate in Virtuoso. Before Starwood, I think Grande-Bretagne was a member of Leading Hotels, but that was a long time ago.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:59 pm

Glad I did a search, I was having a difficult time deciding on a hotel to stay at for an upcoming trip. I didn't realize the Grand-Bretagne was in the SPG program. It's actually a fantastic cash + points redemption too, one of the few I've found since the devaluation.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:15 am
Suspended

I've recommended Matt many times on here before - he writes an invaluable guide to Athens, Greece and the islands.
Highly recommended.

www.greektravel.com

www.athensguide.com
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Can I reanimate this thread, instead of creating a new one? I will be in Athens in early February and I find IHG and Hilton prices a bit on the high side. I like the Electra Palace, which is clocking €159 on most nights (less an 8% discount which would make for an €11 discount but would exclude me from collecting hotels.com reward nights). I have a big list of Lonely Planet recommendations, which I will begin to trawl through. I usually find LP quite dependable, if not downright good on occasion. About where to stay, I would say somewhere reasonably central. It's my first time to Athens, so I will be happy in most areas and will simply explore whatever the area has to offer. I very much like Matt's guide above!
Old May 16, 2023, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Dusting off an old thread. Any recommendations for hotels to stay at in Athens, particularly using AMEX FHR? Is the Hotel Grande Britagne still the way to go?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
FYI Grand Bretagne and King George are both (Marriott) Luxury Collection now. Alas a bit rich for my blood quoting summer rates of E600-800.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
FYI Grand Bretagne and King George are both (Marriott) Luxury Collection now. Alas a bit rich for my blood quoting summer rates of E600-800.
I stayed at the Grande Bretagne and had a remarkable experience! I highly recommend it!
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

There have been many hotel that have opened up since this thread's inception in 2013......some very nice ones....but the Grande Bretagne always rises to the top.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Not sure if this would be the right thread, but do folks have any suggestions for hotels on the Athenian Riviera? Will be there for a week in mid-June. I would ideally like to not spend an arm and a leg at something like the 4S, but reviews of cheaper ‘luxury’ options like the Grand Lagonissi are quite damning in terms of painting a picture of a resort that is far past its prime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.