Community
Wiki Posts
Search

data sim for turkey....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
data sim for turkey....

looking for a data sim to use in turkey for a week....will i be able to pick something up at the airport in ist????any idea what the rates are like????
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles and Smiles
yes, you can buy at the airport, i suggest you to buy Turkcell , it is biggest in terms of subscribers. i do not know the rates
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: *G
turkcell has the best coverage.

you can check the prices on the table at right: http://www.turkcell.com.tr/bireysel/....aspx#pre-paid

aylik means monthly, haftalik means weekly, and gunluk means daily.

so 1gb/mo is 29 tl. which is around 17 usd.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
thanks for the replies....

i read somewhere that i will have to get my handset registered & it can take a couple of days for the sim to become active....is that true????
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Keyser
thanks for the replies....

i read somewhere that i will have to get my handset registered & it can take a couple of days for the sim to become active....is that true????
you will have 30 days to register your handset, it gets blocked off all gsm networks after that.

sims are usually active within the hour you pay for it. i just bought a new usb modem this past weekend. it was already active by the time i drove back home.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thanks for all the answers guys....very helpful....
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
thanks for all the answers guys....very helpful....
I bought an Avea Sim at Ataturk airport on Saturday 12/22. The clerk took a copy of my passport and registered the SIM, but never asked for the IMEI of my iPhone. He told me to wait 30 minutes - I followed all the directions he gave me and was able to activate the voice and data, but the data didn't actually work until I had a clerk in another Avea store on Istiklal change a setting for me.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheCount2
I bought an Avea Sim at Ataturk airport on Saturday 12/22. The clerk took a copy of my passport and registered the SIM, but never asked for the IMEI of my iPhone. He told me to wait 30 minutes - I followed all the directions he gave me and was able to activate the voice and data, but the data didn't actually work until I had a clerk in another Avea store on Istiklal change a setting for me.
i did the same thing with turkcell....the clerk did make a note of my imei number but the data didn't work for me as well & i had to go to another turkcell store in taksim square to get it to work....
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by TheCount2
i did the same thing with turkcell....the clerk did make a note of my imei number but the data didn't work for me as well & i had to go to another turkcell store in taksim square to get it to work....
do you know those settings?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:21 pm

Sim language?

Is it possible to get the messages from the sim provider in english?
Last year I got a sim in Paris, kept getting texts from the provider, in french, used all my minutes.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
No but I will take a look at my iPhone settings. I asked but he simply shrugged his shoulders.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
do you know those settings?
sorry i don't remember....i changed the settings when i left istanbul....
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:57 pm

I am going to join my boyfriend in Turkey in just over a week. I have bought him a Samsung Galaxy note 3 as a gift and it will remain in Turkey. It is unlocked, but do I have to register the phone upon arrival because I don't want it to stop working after 30 days with a Turkish sim. If so, how do I do that and what is the cost? Any help would be appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.