Wiki Posts
Search

Europe Optimization?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Europe Optimization?

Hi All,
I have been lurking this forum for quite some time now at the referral of a friend and have found a lot of the information extremely helpful in approaching travel! I "think" this is my first post, so if I'm doing something wrong (I did read the "read me first") then please don't hesistate to hold any punches :P

The reason why I'm posting now is that my family and I are planning a "longish" trip to Europe In a month's time and while most of our Itinerary is set, I was hoping to run it by all the experts here to see if there was a way I could optimize, increase, make more efficient the accumulation of points or the increasing of savings? (Again if this is the wrong way to go about it please let me know)

Starting off, I currently have (Am in Canada) a
TD First Class Infinite card Visa card which allows me to gain 3 pts for every dollar spent, or 9 pts for every dollar spent through their expedia portal.

Most of the trip was thus booked through the TD Expedia site

I also have an Asia miles account (was set-up years ago for a trip to Asia, not really knowing all about this "miles" thing back then but now find it "somewhat " convenient when I travel ie. Cathay flights to Asia or to New York(

That's pretty much my "points" accumulations (I have an older Air miles card which I have deprecated primarily in favour of my TD visa)

So far the trip Itinerary is as follows:

Flight from YVR to LHR on BA (gave them my Asia miles # as they are one world partners? http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...ht=RHEarnMiles)

From LHR we booked a car to be dropped off at BHX (we are in Birmingham to attend a wedding) I used Hertz which seems to also give me Asia mile points as well (http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...ht=RHEarnMiles)

In Birmingham we will be staying at a Hampton by Hilton (Signed up for a HH account and I entered it via Expedia, but am unsure if it will take)

From BHX to FCO we fly BMI Baby to FCO (To actually start our vacation :P)

In Rome we will be in a "non chain" hotel, so I couldn't see much leeway in terms of some sort of points gaining here.

From Rome we will take a train to the port where we will board a Norwegian Cruise for 7 days. (Didn't see much of a connection to any other miles aside from the points earned off the Visa)

We return to Rome and travel Italy for several days while staying in an apartment. before flying back to YVR Via LHR

Wow that was a lot to type! :P Hopefully it makes sense. I'm sure there are efficiencies or value or savings I could probably have worked into the trip and would certainly appreciate any help the experts in here could lend! I'm really looking forward to the trip and I'm sure it's going to be a blast If I can squeeze points $$ or something else out of it, its just going to be that much sweeter! :P

On an off topic note... any suggestions (food, places to see etc) you wanna throw out I'd certainly welcome those too!!!

Thanks all!!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FT!
As your questions really relate to earning/redeeming miles, I'd suggest this thread has nothing to with Europe, per se.
I'd suggest you ask a moderator to move it to MilesBuzz or a more appropriate forum, for advice.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emustyle
Hi All,

Starting off, I currently have (Am in Canada) a
TD First Class Infinite card Visa card which allows me to gain 3 pts for every dollar spent, or 9 pts for every dollar spent through their expedia portal.

Thanks all!!
what does a mile buy you? can you transfer that to an airline and get one mile for every point you have created? what airline? or is it a captive card, good only at the td first class infinite site. what does one buy through their expedia portal?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Welcome to FT!
As your questions really relate to earning/redeeming miles, I'd suggest this thread has nothing to with Europe, per se.
I'd suggest you ask a moderator to move it to MilesBuzz or a more appropriate forum, for advice.
Thanks for the suggestion UA, I actually originally posted this in miles buzz but I believe a moderator there moved this to here. I think as to not incur mod wrath I may just leave this here for a bit :P

Originally Posted by slawecki
what does a mile buy you? can you transfer that to an airline and get one mile for every point you have created? what airline? or is it a captive card, good only at the td first class infinite site. what does one buy through their expedia portal?
Whoops! totally forgot to put the redemption side.

From what I can tell (I believe its locked in as I haven't found any transfer information on their site) Primarily the idea is that every 10000 miles = 50$. Which can be applied to any travel expense charged to the card (Booked through their expedia portal or not)

I think (If I did the math correctly) Each point/mile = .5% of a dollar
Its only redeemable in 10000 point batches. (Hence the 50$ unit)

You earn 3 points for every dollar spent so really its a 1.5% dollar value
Or 9 points (4.5%) when booking through the expedia portal (Which is just like expedia.com but... with some TD branding)

so you could book like you normally would with expedia.

I don't have an airline FF program (but would be open to getting one unless Asia miles counts) I'm not sure if that toally answers your question so feel free to drill even more if needed!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by emustyle
From Rome we will take a train to the port where we will board a Norwegian Cruise for 7 days.
Sure? Are you aware about the distance between Rome and Norway?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by red star
Sure? Are you aware about the distance between Rome and Norway?
Sorry its the Norwegian Cruise line. Its a cruise int he Mediterrainian that hits Spain, France etc.

Sorry for the confusion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.