Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam layover for 26 hours

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Amsterdam layover for 26 hours

I have never visited Amsterdam and have a 26 hour layover in early April. I would appreciate any lodging and/or city suggestions. I arrive Easter Sunday and am not sure what points of interest will be open. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:49 pm

Get airport hotel, take the train to amsterdam central from schiphol airport.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I had a recent 23 hour layover in Amsterdam and stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express at the Sloterdijk station. The hotel is literally next door to the station (100 ft). It is about an 7 minute train ride to Centraal Station with frequent trains (can also take tram or Metro if you want). It is about a 10 minute train ride from the airport. Much cheaper than the equivalent hotel in the city center.

If you interested in beer, 't Arendsnest at Herrengracht 90 has a great selection from small Dutch brewers. Normally open Sundays, but I have no idea about Easter., though.

I would find a book with walking tours -- there are great sites to see, even if you can't go inside. If something is open -- bonus!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Amsterdam is great for walking around or renting a bike. If you don't have an early morning flight, I'd prefer to stay downtown instead of an airport hotel, prices are however higher. Look at the Doubletree hotel, just beside the central train station, great location.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
No trip to Amsterdam is complete without getting some Heavenly Buddah at one of the city's fine "coffee shops".

Then a visit to the Van Gogh Museum is "highly" recommended.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
What are the times of your arriving and departing flights? That will determine whether to stay near the airport or in town. I'd far rather stay in town unless there was a good reason to be at an airport hotel.

I always find the Independent's '48 Hours' series good for short trips like this, though you might have to edit a couple of things out.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...m-2246036.html
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

I arrive about 10:45 AM and depart at 13:40 the next day. I like the idea of staying in town as this may be my only opportunity to see Amsterdam. I also like the train recommendations to the city center or to the hotels nearby. If I need a taxi back to the airport for my departure flight what is the approximate cost?
Many thanks to all - Boodles
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Buy your train ticket at the airport. Take the train to Amsterdam Centraal station from Schiphol airport and walk to a near by hotel where you have made a reservation. I've only stayed at the Renaissance but there are others within a couple blocks of the station.

Store your luggage there or check in, and then walk around town, taking in the sights, sounds, food, drink, and what ever else strikes your fancy.

I've done this twice, once for almost 24 hours similar to your times, and once for just a Sunday evening with a mid morning departure the next day.

I'm not sure how Easter Sunday will affect things, but otherwise I would suggest that Amsterdam is a great place for an easy layover.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Boodles
If I need a taxi back to the airport for my departure flight what is the approximate cost?
Many thanks to all - Boodles
I really wouldn't bother with a taxi. It will take much longer than the train.

If you're not within easy walking distance of the station then, by all means, take a taxi to the station - but taking a taxi to the airport is a waste of time and money.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Great suggestions, thank you.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Please note that Easter Sunday AND Easter Monday are public holidays. However, museums, restaurants, bars and some shops will be open. Trains will run on a Sunday schedule on both days. This will be no problem for your arrival and departure times.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know what your points situation is. but we've stayed at the Marriott (near the Liedesplein) and it was an Easter Sunday. The food portion of the lounge was closed, so we were given coupons for the attached restaurant. The breakfast was fantastic!

You may not have time for that, but the area around the Marriott is quite interesting and it's an easy walk to the Museum district, Red Light district (is it still open?) Dom Square and so on.

I think a cab to the airport from there was about 30 euros.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
If you are into beer and how beer is made visit the Heineken Museum. When I was Studying Abroad in Holland our class made a field trip there.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:30 am

Heineken Museum? As part of a 26 hour stop over? I sure hope not.

On most AMS forums where people discuss nothing but AMS this museum is so far down the list of things to do that you would have a hard time finding it.

YMMV

Look its a very small centre. And its easy to get back to the airport for your flight out.

Stay in the centre.

But I will say that Priceline bidding is hands down the best value in Amsterdam as far as hotels.

You can get a 4 or 5 star double room for about the price of booking direct with a 1 or 2 star hotel. All hotels that show up are very good hotels and well located-----especially at the 4 star level.

Some 5 stars like the Hilton will be a bit farther out.

And depending where you stay----says its out by the Marriott or the NH Amsterdam Centre then you may be better off forgetting the train (or cab) and take the easy to use express bus. (#370?) It will drop you off virtually across the street from those Hotels or the American. Less than 3 euros if I remember correctly. Less than 4 for sure.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.