Reload this Page >

Best 5 star hotel in Amsterdam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 5 star hotel in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Go for the Amstel but be aware they might still be working on the canal / bridge outside so the view isn't what it once was.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: United mileage plus, qantas frequent flyer silver
Wow thank you all very much!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
Sofitel Grand is quite nice, not true 5* though. And v near the red light district which may be an attraction or not depending on your views...
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Pulitzer and Amstel are OK, not great. Of the two Pulitzer arguably better location and more unique as it is a row of houses (rooms awkward), the Amstel is the most grand. I almost always stay at the Dylan when I can - but thats more a "cool" spot and more NY style. Not everyone's taste, and also not the uber-5* many people are after, but none in Amsterdam are.

I had heard good things about Sofitel, but never been. Otherwise with the renovation L'Europe sounds like the one I will try next time.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Darling - two recommendations from my stable - neither are 5 but a 4** most definitely

1) Ambassade on the Herrengracht is simply delightful

2) Crowne Plaza is wonderfully situation, maginificently run and maintained and has an excellent - truly excellent restaurant.

XXX
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
The Crowne Plaza is indeed an excellent property. Not 5 star, but a good 4 star and very centrally located less than 5 minutes walk from Central Station.

The only thing I don't like is that the windows don't open so it feels a bit more clinical than those properties where you can open windows and feel the atmosphere.

L'Europe did look rather special when I passed it recently and the balconies would be a major attraction for me. Unfortunately the nightly room rate is not!!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Many of the rooms at the Pulitzer I would not find acceptable in a 4* property. Even the suites can be a little poor (well the ones I have stayed in) with poor AC, a small floor area and poor bathrooms. I have had problems with staff attitude at the front desk and concierge desk too. The location is very good though but breakfast is an absolute zoo.
The one time I stayed there, I booked (iirc) a so-called "Deluxe Room" and was offered a small shoebox in the attic. I complained immediately and was told they didn't have anything else in that category but I could choose to pay an extra E50/night for an Executive Room. Although I still strongly objected to their failure to adequetely deliver what I had paid for, I said I would take a look at the Executive Room on offer They showed me an absolute splendid room, about three times the floor area and twice the height of the first room I'd seen, and about ten times as grand with beautiful flooring, great bathroom, magnificent view over the garden from huge windows with lots of light etc. I'd never seen such a great contrast between two rooms in the same hotel. The room I got was easily worth the price I paid, but I've never been back for fear of being stuck with something awful.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:13 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I had a lovely suite at the corner of the 2nd floor at the Amstel....well worth the overpriced rate, but terrible in-house restaurant and poor restaurant recommendations by the concierge....and for all but one of my stays, I have had a lovely room at the Pullitzer (you can always ask them in advance.....they are very helpful).....also, the concierge's desk is excellent. Excellent restaurant around the corner from the Pullitzer too....Bussia.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:58 pm

About 10 years ago we had a nice stay at the Hotel Okura -- I think it is a LHW property. We were able to use the tram to get around...and definitely not in the red-light district area. Closer to Van Gogh...
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Jimbob247
Sofitel Grand is quite nice, not true 5* though. And v near the red light district which may be an attraction or not depending on your views...
It's the closest thing to 5* in Amsterdam. Since the recent renovation and the decline of the Amstel, I think the Sofitel has to be the top.

The Pulitzer has a few lovely suites, but it's a 4* business hotel at heart.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
The Crowne Plaza is indeed an excellent property. Not 5 star, but a good 4 star and very centrally located less than 5 minutes walk from Central Station.

The only thing I don't like is that the windows don't open so it feels a bit more clinical than those properties where you can open windows and feel the atmosphere.

L'Europe did look rather special when I passed it recently and the balconies would be a major attraction for me. Unfortunately the nightly room rate is not!!
Agreed with comments on Crowne Plaza - suffocating rooms where the A/C merely appears to re-circulate warm stale air. Horrible.

If your wallet can stand it I'd recommend Hotel Seven One Seven.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:53 am
Community Director Emerita

We had an outstanding stay at the Amstel this spring and really enjoyed the inhouse restaurants.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:12 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by 8dimsum
About 10 years ago we had a nice stay at the Hotel Okura -- I think it is a LHW property. We were able to use the tram to get around...and definitely not in the red-light district area. Closer to Van Gogh...
I have been there a few times, last one 2 years ago. I think its awful, stuffy overpriced and certainly not 5*. Lots of nickle and diming on WiFi, access to health centre etc. I can only hope it has improved.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Darling - two recommendations from my stable - neither are 5 but a 4** most definitely

1) Ambassade on the Herrengracht is simply delightful
I adore the Ambassade, and it is my hotel of choice. Agreed, not 4*, but they always make me feel welcome and the location is great.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I have been there a few times, last one 2 years ago. I think its awful, stuffy overpriced and certainly not 5*. Lots of nickle and diming on WiFi, access to health centre etc. I can only hope it has improved.
Yikes! I will cross them off our list for "return" stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.