Wiki Posts
Search

Abu Dhabi Transit Visa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS
Abu Dhabi Transit Visa

I'll be transiting through Abu Dhabi on Etihad next month, arriving on EY26 from Heathrow and departing later the same day on EY270 to Chennai. My total time in Abu Dhabi, assuming flights are on time, will be just over 6 hours. I'd like to be able to leave the airport to make a quick visit to see the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, however I'm confused as to whether my stopover will be sufficiently long enough to qualify for a transit visit. The information that I can find is rather conflicting, on the Etihad website it states that a 48-Hour Transit Visa Single Entry is valid for a stopover of 8 to 48 hours, however the official airport website states "When you have more than four hours to spare at the airport the best thing to do is to get a transit visa and explore Abu Dhabi city and its surroundings."

So my question is whether there is indeed a minimum stopover time to qualify for a transit visit, or is it a case that Etihad ideally don't want people with less than 8 hours in Abu Dhabi to leave the airport? I'm a British citizen, so would be planning to make use of the Visa on Arrival process. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mjuler
I'll be transiting through Abu Dhabi on Etihad next month, arriving on EY26 from Heathrow and departing later the same day on EY270 to Chennai. My total time in Abu Dhabi, assuming flights are on time, will be just over 6 hours. I'd like to be able to leave the airport to make a quick visit to see the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, however I'm confused as to whether my stopover will be sufficiently long enough to qualify for a transit visit. The information that I can find is rather conflicting, on the Etihad website it states that a 48-Hour Transit Visa Single Entry is valid for a stopover of 8 to 48 hours, however the official airport website states "When you have more than four hours to spare at the airport the best thing to do is to get a transit visa and explore Abu Dhabi city and its surroundings."

So my question is whether there is indeed a minimum stopover time to qualify for a transit visit, or is it a case that Etihad ideally don't want people with less than 8 hours in Abu Dhabi to leave the airport? I'm a British citizen, so would be planning to make use of the Visa on Arrival process. Thanks in advance.
UK nationals don't need UAE visa - for transit or tourism upto 30 days
Old Aug 31, 2023, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by Acid
UK nationals don't need UAE visa - for transit or tourism upto 30 days
This is not strictly true. There is no advanced application needed, however a visa is still required. To quote https://www.gov.uk/...

"Holders of full British passports will be granted a free of charge visitor/tourist visa upon arrival in the UAE. No application in advance of travel is needed. Your passport will be stamped with the visa as you pass through Immigration. The visa issued at the airport for British passport holders is valid for up to 40 days."

As such, my question on minimum stay still holds.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is not strictly true. There is no advanced application needed, however a visa is still required. To quote https://www.gov.uk/...

"Holders of full British passports will be granted a free of charge visitor/tourist visa upon arrival in the UAE. No application in advance of travel is needed. Your passport will be stamped with the visa as you pass through Immigration. The visa issued at the airport for British passport holders is valid for up to 40 days."

You have the answer there - you don't need a visa in advance. They will just stamp your passport(and most likely you will just go through the new e-gates). Earlier this year, I was directed to use the e-gates(agent said try if it works and it did - spent the whole day exploring Abu Dhabi and left same night, again entering through e-gates at AUH -no stamps on passport)
Whether you go out for 1 minute or 1 day, they do not care as long as your passport allows for it.

Etihad sponsors visa for free for those who have stopover over 8 hours. You don't need sponsorship/agent.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
It is true - I entered Abu Dhabi on my British visa with no issue a few weeks ago.

you can check the airport bus services (A1/A2) that may take you to the mosque. You need to buy a transportation card (about 10AED from memory) in the arrivals area.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
This is a good site to check flying regulations:
https://www.traveldoc.aero/
Old Sep 3, 2023, 2:10 am

if your passport allows for entry (either visa on arrival or visa free - does not matter) you can go out for whatever duration you like within the limit (in the UAE for UK passports its 30 days + 10 days grace)... its the same in most places, for example, being a smoker, when I transit through UK or EU, I exit the airport to visit the smoking areas to light up and then go back in once I am done...just need to make sure you are back in time for your flight... you can do the same in AUH (which has smoking rooms inside the airport btw so thats not a reason to leave)

What you see on the website relates to those nationalities which do not have the ability to enter without a pre-arranged visa, in these cases, you need a visa sponsor which is the airline for transit passengers

Last edited by ziek; Sep 3, 2023 at 2:16 am
Old Sep 3, 2023, 4:32 pm

Etihad Airways may recommend an 8-hour layover for a comfortable transit in Abu Dhabi, but official UAE immigration guidelines for transit visas can differ.

Being a British citizen, you might be eligible for a Visa on Arrival; however, the specific requirements, including the minimum layover duration, can change. It's crucial to check with UAE immigration authorities and Etihad Airways for the most current information regarding transit visas.

Given your layover of just over 6 hours, plan carefully to ensure you have enough time to visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque while considering immigration and transportation time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.