Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Is collecting Guest miles worth it anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2023, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I always used Etihad co-branded credit cards to collect miles and book awards flight. Sure there were numerous devaluations throughout the years but it was alot easier to collect miles on Etihad than on Emirates (almost 2 guest miles per dollar for most transactions vs 1.5 skywards miles for very specific transactions), that plus the vouchers you get from Etihad cards such as companion/ discount vouchers for award flights which you couldn't get on any Skywards branded card.

Now with the March update it's almost impossible to find award space and according to some users the miles required for upgrading have increased dramatically.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 11:12 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways, Etihad Guest, Emirates Skywards, Discovery Hotels, Bonvoy
We're watching the downfall of the program, as many comments can attest to on these threads. The increased pricing is one thing but really issue is that there is absolutely no award availability on most routes anymore. I've been regularly checking seat spy, i've noticed Toronto does not have a single Business seat available for the next 365 days, USA and Australia and almost all other routes are the same. Fixed price mile upgrades don't exist anymore so again miles have become useless when it comes to flying.

Clearly no value in flying / earning Etihad miles anymore, and like many others, I've moved all my travel and loyalty to Emirates (and Emirates will match your EY status via status matcher).
Old Apr 27, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
there are some good finds still for business and economy to Australia and other markets. the issue I have is the guest seats post the online changes don't seem to be compatible with EIBs 50% miles back credit card.. 100% need to be on points inc taxes, whereas guest seats now seem to only been points and paid taxes not 100% on points.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anyfees99
We're watching the downfall of the program, as many comments can attest to on these threads. The increased pricing is one thing but really issue is that there is absolutely no award availability on most routes anymore. I've been regularly checking seat spy, i've noticed Toronto does not have a single Business seat available for the next 365 days, USA and Australia and almost all other routes are the same. Fixed price mile upgrades don't exist anymore so again miles have become useless when it comes to flying.

Clearly no value in flying / earning Etihad miles anymore, and like many others, I've moved all my travel and loyalty to Emirates (and Emirates will match your EY status via status matcher).
I wish I knew that Emirates did status match as I used to have Guest gold, welp. I also have moved my loyalty to Emirates and currently using a Skywards co-branded but I'm finding that earning skywards is rather difficult (about 2~6k a month compared to Etihad 14k a month). Anytips on earning Skywards faster for someone who lives in Dubai?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, Etihad Guest, Emirates Skywards, Discovery Hotels, Bonvoy
EIB card has some changes, the miles are credited post flight now. Agree the terminology is confusing but I understood it to be miles will be refunded based a Guestseat booking, and not for cash + miles tickets bookings.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 7:04 am

The Skywards Black card from EIB has the highest earning rates however the annual fee is quite high. It also gives you Gold status so might be worth it.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 5:21 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Freakuency
No.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by anyfees99
EIB card has some changes, the miles are credited post flight now. Agree the terminology is confusing but I understood it to be miles will be refunded based a Guestseat booking, and not for cash + miles tickets bookings.
Im led to believe the tax component actually makes the system believe its points and cash. needs to be a 100% points TX for the 50%
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kelix
Im led to believe the tax component actually makes the system believe its points and cash. needs to be a 100% points TX for the 50%
Etihad award booking system is really wonky sometimes. I was going to book an award flight one time and I it showed me that I needed to pay points + cash one time, then I wanted to book the same award flight a week later and it was 100% points only (including the taxes). I really hope that the lack of availability is a temporary thing, those discount vouchers do really make a difference compared to other FF programs
Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador
From there being zero availability for Business GuestSeats for the entire year on the AUH-ZRH route when I checked three days ago, there is suddenly multiple seats available almost every week. Even after the Serbian Call Centre assured me that there was no issue and the seats are allocated at release and only come available after being booked if someone cancels, so nothing available meant they were all booked already.....and suddenly loads of people have cancelled, or B the system is wonky, and they've not got a clue what they're doing.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:43 pm

It is definitely worth it---you can now get unlimited in-flight internet and pay for it with miles .
Old May 1, 2023, 3:12 am

A bit depends on how you collect miles, for example domestic credit card spend with an ADCB Infinite card is 2 miles per USD. There are better ways to gain miles with the card, or combined with other promotions. And of course the extra benefits such as tier miles and status.

Etihad value 1 mile as 0.009 USD and as miles & cash is the main use for miles then you need a lot of miles to buy anything. GuestSeats are definitely the cheaper and best value for your miles.

ADCB Infinite is like a 1.8% cashback where your cash is in miles, if you only consider miles & cash.
Old May 1, 2023, 2:40 pm

Etihad Guest customer service sucks, so no
Old May 2, 2023, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Wharfe
A bit depends on how you collect miles, for example domestic credit card spend with an ADCB Infinite card is 2 miles per USD. There are better ways to gain miles with the card, or combined with other promotions. And of course the extra benefits such as tier miles and status.

Etihad value 1 mile as 0.009 USD and as miles & cash is the main use for miles then you need a lot of miles to buy anything. GuestSeats are definitely the cheaper and best value for your miles.

ADCB Infinite is like a 1.8% cashback where your cash is in miles, if you only consider miles & cash.
I forgot to add that using miles and Cash means you only get tier miles for the cash part. Which again devalues the miles, especially when it's getting much harder to find any GuestSeats available when you actually need them.
Old May 7, 2023, 4:34 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I've checked several routes over the last few days and guestseat redemptions seem to stop at the end of Jan 2024 on all of them, seen nothing available in guestseat for march/april

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.