Wiki Posts
Search

Long layover and hotel accomodation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
Long layover and hotel accomodation

According to Etihad, they offer complimentary hotel accommodation close to AUH if you have a long layover (https://www.etihad.com/en-us/abu-dhabi/stopover)
I have a layover of 20 hours in AUH and meet the criteria stated. When i enter my booking reference and name, it shows me 2 hotels, but the website also displays a cost for the room. Shouldn't this be free? How can I fix this?
Old Apr 22, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hdoraisamy
According to Etihad, they offer complimentary hotel accommodation close to AUH if you have a long layover (https://www.etihad.com/en-us/abu-dhabi/stopover)
I have a layover of 20 hours in AUH and meet the criteria stated. When i enter my booking reference and name, it shows me 2 hotels, but the website also displays a cost for the room. Shouldn't this be free? How can I fix this?

It shows the amount but at the last stage where you checkout it will show 0. It asks for a card but does not charge anything.

Keep in mind, if your ticker does not qualify(minimum spend/award etc.), the reservation will be cancelled in few days
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Acid
It shows the amount but at the last stage where you checkout it will show 0. It asks for a card but does not charge anything.

Keep in mind, if your ticker does not qualify(minimum spend/award etc.), the reservation will be cancelled in few days
Thanks so much! I was able to make the reservation. Hopefully no cancellations
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:25 am

Unfortunately I learned this the hard way. Had 2 day stopover on an award flight, booked a hotel. Then they cancelled a few days later. Had to go back and read the fine print. But wish the booking system would upfront tell you you are ineligible instead..
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drivngwhisper
Unfortunately I learned this the hard way. Had 2 day stopover on an award flight, booked a hotel. Then they cancelled a few days later. Had to go back and read the fine print. But wish the booking system would upfront tell you you are ineligible instead..
Good to know. Lucky for me, my trip is not until October, so lots of buffer should that happen
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by drivngwhisper
Out of interest, why were you ineligible?
Also, does the stopover system work well? Any hidden costs eg taxis or they provide a shuttle? For four people would they provide 2 rooms?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by john11111111111
Out of interest, why were you ineligible?
Also, does the stopover system work well? Any hidden costs eg taxis or they provide a shuttle? For four people would they provide 2 rooms?
From their terms and conditions

"6. Valid for bookings made in any fare choice within any class on Etihad Airways issued tickets starting with 607 and JetBlue tickets starting with 279 provided that at least one of the flights connect via Abu Dhabi (inbound or outbound). Excludes frequent flyer redemption bookings, award upgrades or cash plus miles promotions."

My flight was an award flight from Aeroplan, which didn't start with 607 so wasn't eligible.
john11111111111 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:56 am

sorry guys, is the accomodation 0€ or 40% off?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
I think if you choose a cheaper 3* hotel it is free, but if you choose the five-star hotel they just give you a 40% discount.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 10:39 am

I was told that the accomodation is free only for connecting flights above 10hours. Otherwise, if you choose the stopover, you get up to 40% …not the best. I thought it was really free
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:21 pm

If you have a long layover more than one day, do you have to go through and take your luggage to the hotel and check it in again later?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA, Hilton HHonors
Bumping this up....

Would they provide a free shuttle or transportation to the hotel? I have a long (19 hours) layover in AUH early next month. Etihad has provided a free room at the Aloft Abu Dhabi which is about 20 miles away from the airport. Would they be providing free transportation to/from the airport or am I stuck on getting a taxi on my own dime?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Excellent question. I had the same issue as the OP but will go back and make the booking now....and hopefully figure out transportation Although it's a business class ticket I found out (too late) that it does not quality for a chaufeur.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:42 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Excellent question. I had the same issue as the OP but will go back and make the booking now....and hopefully figure out transportation Although it's a business class ticket I found out (too late) that it does not quality for a chaufeur.
Taxis are so cheap in AUH that you won't notice it
Old Sep 10, 2023, 2:42 pm

So did they pick you guys up or did you arrange a taxi by yourself? I've had a chauffeur drive from Etihad once and that was nice. Gonna travel businessclass with them again. Hotels that you can choose from are not that great as they used to be. Once had a 5 star hotel for a knight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.