Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade with miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Upgrade with miles

I usually upgrade my flights with miles on the website, but that seems to have disappeared now. The only way to do it now seems to be the "bid for an upgrade" option. The lowest bid available, which probably won't be successful, is more than double the normal number of miles needed. I would never use that ridiculous bidding scheme.

I'd like to know if Etihad really have stopped you just directly booking upgrades with miles, or have I missed it on the webite. Is it possible to do it by phone? Using miles for these upgrades is the only reason I continue to regularly fly with them. If it's gone with all the other useful Guest privileges, I can't see any reason not to fly with other airlines.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, Etihad Guest, Emirates Skywards, Discovery Hotels, Bonvoy
This appears to be the way with fixed millage upgrades nowhere to be found, despite this being one of the most attractive reasons to be involved in a loyalty program.

It looks like they have quietly been stripping all the value out the program without communicating. No way to upgrade with miles (bidding only), extremely limited guest seats available, price of guest seats increased dramatically (i.e. J class to Sydney was 100k ==> 155k miles, MXP 62k ==> 88k), hidden fees added at checkout.
yapak2 and BlackTShirt like this.

Last edited by anyfees99; Mar 24, 2023 at 9:58 am
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:20 am

The thing is, the website still shows the redemption values from the miles calculator....
I have tried a couple of times now and every time, the value i am getting quoted from agents (phone, email, staff at lounge) reflects what also the plusgrade upgrades bidding would tell me, but never the values in the miles calculator table. These i.e. range from 30k (Choice Plus) to 167k (Sale), so technically, and availability assumed, one should be able to still upgrade at 30k from Eco to Biz with a choice plus fare. I am typically told i need to cough up between 80 and 100k miles for a oneway upgrade.
Which makes it equally useless.

It would really be helpful if EY would come forward and explain.
gembowcup and BlackTShirt like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:47 am

feedback from guestgold@ey today is that miles in the table are indicative only, and really the global contact centres are the only ones who know.

Etihad....if you are lurking around....this is really a joke to have a dedicated plat and gold contact centre which then sends you back to global contact centres...
BlackTShirt likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador
I'm flying to Zurich today, booked in economy and online only showing the bid to upgrade at 100k plus prior to the flight.

I called the call center yesterday, can't use ADCB voucher as no Business GuestSeat available (6 empty seats in Business). But they say it's possible to upgrade using miles at around 35k, but it's better to wait until the airport as then it's a 50% discount to around 17k.

Get to the airport to be told it's 100k+ miles for an upgrade, and there are seats available. A very apologetic check-in lady says that the new system doesn't give them an option to give the old standard miles upgrades.

Either this is a mistake in the system, or more likely Etihad being callous and removing any value to miles. I'd love to hear a reply from them, I've given up pestering the Serbian call/email helpdesk as they can't do anything about it.
yapak2 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
"I'd love to hear a reply from them"

Quicker to find a Leprechaun under a rainbow
yapak2 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by yapak2
feedback from guestgold@ey today is that miles in the table are indicative only, and really the global contact centres are the only ones who know.

Etihad....if you are lurking around....this is really a joke to have a dedicated plat and gold contact centre which then sends you back to global contact centres...
This has actually been my experience the last 4 or 5 times I have contacted them over the past 4 or 5 months though the Premium chat service on twitter as a platinum member, complete and utter uselessness on every front and referral every time to other departments, basically like an operator directing calls, unable to actually do anything...
yapak2 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:40 am

the thing is i don't need all the glitter and gold and shopping with 3rd parties when the underlying mileage program doesnt work. In fact, when it does work, having choice how to spend is a nice to have. When it doesnt work (like in the case of EY), then it becomes a useless distraction only and furthermore, i will stop flying that airline and take my business elsewhere.
anyfees99 and Dogmatick like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 2:32 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
the thing is i don't need all the glitter and gold and shopping with 3rd parties when the underlying mileage program doesnt work. In fact, when it does work, having choice how to spend is a nice to have. When it doesnt work (like in the case of EY), then it becomes a useless distraction only and furthermore, i will stop flying that airline and take my business elsewhere.
You are not alone, plus such service does not warrant being 15-20% more expensive than, for example, Emirates
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador
Got a reply from Serbia, the fixed value miles upgrade has been removed from the program. So from now on to upgrade at the airport is going to cost 100k's miles.

As stated on our Tiers & Status webpage, Platinum members are entitled for 50% discount on instant upgrades with miles at the airport. However, instant upgrade mileage values will be quoted at the time of request at the check-in desks. This will be a direct conversion of the cash upgrade cost in US dollars into miles. Hence, the instant upgrade values quoted at the airport are based on a different mileage calculator
Old May 11, 2023, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Wharfe
Got a reply from Serbia, the fixed value miles upgrade has been removed from the program. So from now on to upgrade at the airport is going to cost 100k's miles.

As stated on our Tiers & Status webpage, Platinum members are entitled for 50% discount on instant upgrades with miles at the airport. However, instant upgrade mileage values will be quoted at the time of request at the check-in desks. This will be a direct conversion of the cash upgrade cost in US dollars into miles. Hence, the instant upgrade values quoted at the airport are based on a different mileage calculator
No kidding?
i wonder what incentive remains now to fly EY. Seems the new CCO is squeezing the lemon really hard, and right now with all the revenge travel, capacity still not back at 100%, yields soaring across the globe, arguably one seems to get away with it. Time will tell if it is sustainable though to p#*& off your loyal clients.
Old May 14, 2023, 2:59 am
Suspended

No kidding?
i wonder what incentive remains now to fly EY. Seems the new CCO is squeezing the lemon really hard, and right now with all the revenge travel, capacity still not back at 100%, yields soaring across the globe, arguably one seems to get away with it. Time will tell if it is sustainable though to p#*& off your loyal clients.
In the real world, only profit matters to a company, and only good deals matter to customers. NOT loyalty. You choose EY because they are a good deal (price and quality) to you at the time.

Last edited by Mama; May 14, 2023 at 3:46 am
Old May 16, 2023, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
In the real world, only profit matters to a company, and only good deals matter to customers. NOT loyalty. You choose EY because they are a good deal (price and quality) to you at the time.
where the two converge, loyalty is created. Other than that I agree, but make „choose“ „chose“.
Old May 17, 2023, 7:15 pm
Suspended

where the two converge, loyalty is created. Other than that I agree, but make „choose“ „chose“.
I disagree. "Loyalty" is when something/somebody does not work your way, but you still submit yourself to it. In this case, you would stay with EY even though they change their mileage policy, because you are "loyal" to EY.

Last edited by Mama; May 18, 2023 at 12:04 am
Old May 20, 2023, 2:48 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Originally Posted by Bhoytony
I usually upgrade my flights with miles on the website, but that seems to have disappeared now. The only way to do it now seems to be the "bid for an upgrade" option. The lowest bid available, which probably won't be successful, is more than double the normal number of miles needed. I would never use that ridiculous bidding scheme.

I'd like to know if Etihad really have stopped you just directly booking upgrades with miles, or have I missed it on the webite. Is it possible to do it by phone? Using miles for these upgrades is the only reason I continue to regularly fly with them. If it's gone with all the other useful Guest privileges, I can't see any reason not to fly with other airlines.
You can still get the miles upgrades with the mileages shown on the EY Guest Mileage Calculator if you call EY Guest directly - although it can be a bit of a fight to get them to honour the rates shown... perseverance and standing your ground is needed.
Just spent an hour on a call trying to upgrade from Economy Choice to Business. MAN-AUH
I first checked on the Flights With Miles page to see if there were Guest Seats available, yes; 70,000 miles + taxes to buy.

Called EY Guest - luckily I have Platinum status so quickly answered; although the quality of the agent is not always Elite standard!!
Went through the usual security checks. Once they confirmed guest seats were available the agent then proceeded to quote 96,000+ miles.
After I picked myself up from the floor, I calmly explained that the mileage site says it should be 50,372 for MAN-AUH Choice to Business and to buy one outright was 70,000 miles.
After a bit of "the computer says no" type conversations and long holds, the agent eventually conceded the mileage was nearer 50,000 and there was a system glitch they would be fixing soon...!
Went ahead and booked it - miles were redeemed immediately and new itinerary issued. Just miles, no cash element or taxes to be paid.

I also asked for the return leg, AUH-MAN, to be quoted and surprisingly the mileage quoted was correct - within 10 miles - without having to jump through hoops...

FYI I also checked on manage my booking the price to upgrade with miles via PlusGrade.
Minimum bid was 116,000 with taxes of £14,386!!!
I think I found the glitch LOL.
chichow and gembowcup like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.