Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi Lounge Access and pay to stay questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2023, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat

Hi all. Hoping to get some advice based on recent experiences in the lounges in Abu Dhabi.

Stage setting: We’re a family of 4 all booked in coach from IAD - AUH - CAI with a 8 hour layover in AUH .

Q1 Looks like we can buy 8 hour access to the first class lounge for $180x3 and 1 kids rate. Anyone have any opinions on whether it’s worth about $600 for a family of 4?

Q2 We will try to bid on an upgrade for the flight to AUH. If that clears and we are in business to Abu Dhabi then coach to Cairo will we still be able to access the business lounge? (I’ve read multiple threads with different answers but none were recent).
If the answer is ‘no’ would the reverse change the outcome: if we fly coach to Abu Dhabi then upgrade to business for our Cairo connection can we use the lounge for our long layover? That may change the equation on where to try for the upgrade.

As always thanks very much for any advice you can offer!!
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: EY Gold
Hi Dcislander, hopefully I can help a bit with your queries.

Q1: The first class lounge is nice, but for $600 you'd better plan on drinking an awful lot of fancy champagne. You'll get a nice meal or two and nice drinks, plus better service and quieter environs compared to the biz lounge/any other in-airport option. If your layover is during the day, you could catch a taxi anywhere else in the city where your $600 will go further.

Q2: If you do not have business class outbound to Cairo, you will not be able to access the business lounge. AUH-CAI is quite a short flight so if you have to choose, I'd strongly recommend upgrading the long leg from IAD-AUH.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dcislander
Hi all. Hoping to get some advice based on recent experiences in the lounges in Abu Dhabi.

Stage setting: We’re a family of 4 all booked in coach from IAD - AUH - CAI with a 8 hour layover in AUH .

Q1 Looks like we can buy 8 hour access to the first class lounge for $180x3 and 1 kids rate. Anyone have any opinions on whether it’s worth about $600 for a family of 4?

Q2 We will try to bid on an upgrade for the flight to AUH. If that clears and we are in business to Abu Dhabi then coach to Cairo will we still be able to access the business lounge? (I’ve read multiple threads with different answers but none were recent).
If the answer is ‘no’ would the reverse change the outcome: if we fly coach to Abu Dhabi then upgrade to business for our Cairo connection can we use the lounge for our long layover? That may change the equation on where to try for the upgrade.

As always thanks very much for any advice you can offer!!
Not worth $600 - if you can exit landside, get a hotel for ~100 (premier inn maybe and enjoy a bit of the city)
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Should have added: we are traveling with two kids (one has a broken arm) plus bags . We land in Abu Dhabi at 6p and take off for Cairo at 2a— not exactly sight seeing hours. I was also worried about the time it would take to store bags, clear immigration and then go through security again to leave.

I do have Priority Pass and can use the Al Ghalzal lounge in terminal 2 or the Al Dhabi lounge in terminal 1. Those would be free options vs paying for the Etihad lounge in terminal 3.

Not sure if any of that changes the equation
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

well this idea went out the window when I read the TCs on priority pass: these lounges are only accessible for passengers in T1 or T2.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Should have added: we are traveling with two kids (one has a broken arm) plus bags . We land in Abu Dhabi at 6p and take off for Cairo at 2a— not exactly sight seeing hours. I was also worried about the time it would take to store bags, clear immigration and then go through security again to leave.

I do have Priority Pass and can use the Al Ghalzal lounge in terminal 2 or the Al Dhabi lounge in terminal 1. Those would be free options vs paying for the Etihad lounge in terminal 3.

Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:12 pm

well this idea went out the window when I read the TCs on priority pass: these lounges are only accessible for passengers in T1 or T2.
There is only AL Dhabi in T1 which is connected to T3 airside. I was there last weekend and been there many times over the years. The F&B quality has gone down a lot. There was a 10+ pax wait for showers. The lounge is big to find a decent spot fir a family to occupy.

Immigration at AUH will not be an issue as long as you dont need visa etc. They have installed egates which just require a passport scan. Likewise, security on return was just a minute - and you will have to do it if you transit anyways.

Your bags will be checked through to CAI anyways.

Even if you can't sightsee, rather than spending on lounge, I'd take a room either in Premier Inn or the airside hotel(no need to clear immigration)
Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:56 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Should read T1 and T3 plus if short of numbers then any premium Amex (Platinum or Black) will get you in for free as well, as Acid wrote there's plenty of space but 8 hours is a long time in a room with few or no Windows
If you do go for the First Lounge then upgrade further for $100 for a Residence room and have a rivate room to yourselves with its own shower massive TV lounge area and dining table where they'll serve your family in peace and quiet
Old Mar 3, 2023, 10:40 am

Also, be aware that the business lounge is a zoo in the evenings from ~7pm till about 2 am. Last month, I found it hard to find a good solo seat there. Food is fine, but its not a relaxing space to be in during those busy hours.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 11:40 am

Will Etihad short check a bag so if you have a long layover you can reclaim it before checking it in again?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Will Etihad short check a bag so if you have a long layover you can reclaim it before checking it in again?

They will - depends on how long your transit is too...any particular reason why you would want to do it? I had my bag checked through with a 10+ hour layover. I confirmed in the lounge before leaving that it was loaded onto the container for the destination flight
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

OP here. We're going to attempt to bring our roller bags and backpacks are carry ons. If we get called out on weight limits we will check but if not we will carry (very short layover in Cairo before a domestic flight). If we do get to take bags on boards, anyone have any experience stashing them in left luggage at the airport? We would just bring them to the lounge if we paid for access (which it is sounding like most folks just dont think is worth the expense) but if not I'd rather not haul 4 rollers, 4 backpacks and 2 kids into the city for dinner. Thanks for the advice all!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:29 pm

OP here. We're going to attempt to bring our roller bags and backpacks are carry ons. If we get called out on weight limits we will check but if not we will carry (very short layover in Cairo before a domestic flight). If we do get to take bags on boards, anyone have any experience stashing them in left luggage at the airport? We would just bring them to the lounge if we paid for access (which it is sounding like most folks just dont think is worth the expense) but if not I'd rather not haul 4 rollers, 4 backpacks and 2 kids into the city for dinner. Thanks for the advice all!
I think US airports are a bit lenient on hand luggage compared Asia/ME so you may get away with it depending on how big the backpacks are.

Left luggage prices are quite reasonable - though if you are doing all this, I'd look into the price of Premier Inn - if its 60-70$ it may be worth to just take the room.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 11:49 am

Plus left luggage takes a while to security scan each item etc
Old Mar 9, 2023, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Plus left luggage takes a while to security scan each item etc
anyone know if the business lounge has luggage lockers like Lufthansa does?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:40 am

Yes though is like a ticket cloakroom where you hand things in rather than the keyed lockers with LH
Don't let them think you're leaving though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.