Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA award redemptions on other carriers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2023 | 12:41 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

AA award redemptions on other carriers

Sorry for the nooby question. When you book an AA redemption using EY miles, is that strictly on flights with AA flight numbers, or does it include Oneworld and other partner-operated flights? The award chart suggests the latter, but I'd like to know before I call.
Old Feb 14, 2023 | 1:07 pm
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Der Kommissar
Sorry for the nooby question. When you book an AA redemption using EY miles, is that strictly on flights with AA flight numbers, or does it include Oneworld and other partner-operated flights? The award chart suggests the latter, but I'd like to know before I call.
I don't see where the EY redemption chart suggests that an AA award can be not on AA.

It is NOT even all flights with AA flight numbers (which could be code shares), but only AA-operated flights on which awards are available.
Old Feb 14, 2023 | 1:12 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Thanks for the answer. The reason I said the award chart suggests otherwise is there is would be a lot of extraneous information. For example, I don't need to know what a point redemption from Asia 1 to Asia 2 would cost since AA doesn't fly those routes.
Old Feb 14, 2023 | 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Der Kommissar
Thanks for the answer. The reason I said the award chart suggests otherwise is there is would be a lot of extraneous information. For example, I don't need to know what a point redemption from Asia 1 to Asia 2 would cost since AA doesn't fly those routes.
Well, if there are no AA flights, there are no AA awards available. Even when there are flights, there are generally no awards available.

In principle you could go Asia1-- Dallas--Asia2 for the stated award level, but in practice you can't. EY is just stating a formula without reference to what is possible at any given time. Maybe AA will operate such a flight in future, and then they won't have to change their web pages.
Old Feb 14, 2023 | 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
In principle you could go Asia1-- Dallas--Asia2 for the stated award level, but in practice you can't.
Etihad award prices on AA are based on a per-flight basis, so if you wanted to fly Asia 1-DFW-Asia 2 on AA using EY miles, it would cost you two awards, regardless of whether you merely connected at DFW, or had a true stopover. (See the terms and conditions on Etihad's AA redemption chart.)

It looks like EY just copied AA's partner award chart, without regard to the fact that AA itself does not offer direct service between certain regions.
Old Feb 14, 2023 | 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Etihad award prices on AA are based on a per-flight basis...
Ah, of course, my mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.