Search

115,292 Guest Miles for LHR-AUH??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
115,292 Guest Miles for LHR-AUH??

Hi,
I am currently sitting on loads of UK Amex Membership Reward points and would like to redeem on a one-way from LHR to AUH on EY in June.
The Etihad website is giving me a price of 115.292 miles one-way for 1 pax in business, 58,896 in economy. I can't get any information about taxes displayed because I don't have any miles in my account.
Is this really the correct pricing? Seems like a lot. Any better ways to book that flight using a different Amex partner?
Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by petter2
Hi,
I am currently sitting on loads of UK Amex Membership Reward points and would like to redeem on a one-way from LHR to AUH on EY in June.
The Etihad website is giving me a price of 115.292 miles one-way for 1 pax in business, 58,896 in economy. I can't get any information about taxes displayed because I don't have any miles in my account.
Is this really the correct pricing? Seems like a lot. Any better ways to book that flight using a different Amex partner?
Thanks
It should be 62,500 but I am also seeing 115,292 which is a bit odd. Either way, EY is a rip off and I would not recommend using them on this booking. Taxes & surcharges would be around £400.

Cheapest option by far is transferring your miles to SQ and booking LH/LX to DXB for 29,000 miles in business. Loads of LX availability in June after lockdown is supposed to lift. Tax & surcharges is £353 (of which £180 is the UK APD).

To be honest I think the best deal (assuming you will be actually doing a return) would be BA premium economy revenue booking for £650. 24,000 BA miles each direction for the upgrade to business (many options available). Make sure you choose the A350 flight with the club suite with closing doors and direct aisle access. You will also earn miles for the PE revenue class (about 7000 miles).

This same BA method could be used for a one-way but that would cost £480 for the revenue ticket.

Last edited by pogonation; Mar 14, 2021 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Thanks, so it's not just me!
There are some really cheap options with Wizz Air via SKG, ATH and SOF, coming to less than £50 each way, so I booked that for the way back with a 2-day stopover in SKG.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:33 am

Thanks, so it's not just me!
There are some really cheap options with Wizz Air via SKG, ATH and SOF, coming to less than £50 each way, so I booked that for the way back with a 2-day stopover in SKG.
Wow that is a good deal. I wouldn't want to fly Wizz Air on a 7 hour flight home but with the stop in Thessaloniki it seems like a good deal!

For the one-way then I would use SQ miles to do the LX option to DXB (and then head over to AUH). Starting your trip outside of UK (e.g. Booking ZRH-DXB direct) will save about £200 in the APD and taxes as well.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 4:28 pm
wsc

Originally Posted by pogonation
It should be 62,500 but I am also seeing 115,292 which is a bit odd. Either way, EY is a rip off and I would not recommend using them on this booking. Taxes & surcharges would be around £400.

Cheapest option by far is transferring your miles to SQ and booking LH/LX to DXB for 29,000 miles in business. Loads of LX availability in June after lockdown is supposed to lift. Tax & surcharges is £353 (of which £180 is the UK APD).

To be honest I think the best deal (assuming you will be actually doing a return) would be BA premium economy revenue booking for £650. 24,000 BA miles each direction for the upgrade to business (many options available). Make sure you choose the A350 flight with the club suite with closing doors and direct aisle access. You will also earn miles for the PE revenue class (about 7000 miles).

This same BA method could be used for a one-way but that would cost £480 for the revenue ticket.
hi - when you say LH/LX to dubai, is that starting from Frankfurt / Geneva to Dubai? Or is there London to dubai availability with SQ somehow?
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:00 pm
wsc

Hi,
Thanks
that 115k they advertise includes taxes as miles for some reason
if you have some miles you can test this out for short haul routes, or at least that is what I found.
Maybe worth a call to them to see what the real rate is
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by wsc
hi - when you say LH/LX to dubai, is that starting from Frankfurt / Geneva to Dubai? Or is there London to dubai availability with SQ somehow?
Connections are included so you can use your SQ miles to go from anywhere in Europe for 29,000 miles. LHR-ZRH-DXB for example can easily be found and booked through the SQ website using miles.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:22 am
wsc

Originally Posted by pogonation
Connections are included so you can use your SQ miles to go from anywhere in Europe for 29,000 miles. LHR-ZRH-DXB for example can easily be found and booked through the SQ website using miles.
Great thanks, finding decent availability.

Finding first class via this route is impossible I assume? I checked with no luck.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Can UK Amex transfer to Aeroplan? They show Etihad availability at reasonable rates I've found.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by wsc

Finding first class via this route is impossible I assume? I checked with no luck.
F on LX is blocked for *A partner redemptions (and some of their own members too). LH F only becomes available to *A partners in the 2 weeks before departure... But LH doesn’t have F to UAE.

So yes the best option is LX in business LHR-ZRH-DXB.
wsc likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by wsc

I believe Etihad has currently (hopefully temporarily) blocked/removed First class (I think there's ONE route they offer it). We had our flights downgraded to all J from F out of JFK. Ended up cancelling our flights.

I thought I also read somewhere that SQ has no F until May of 2022?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Hi,
Thanks
I can only presume it is including the taxes in miles which it seems forever want to do now, definitely would not ever suggest MR points to Etihad unless you are getting a big bonus on it

Yes just checked and confirmed that it is doing the taxes via miles, I believe that if you call you can pay the taxes as cash instead else use the slider in the payment field to reduce the miles to roughly that shown here and pay £337 in cash
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
HAHA Just checked and for the same miles, 62k, and £532 in cash you can fly first ! That's only 200 quid for the upgrade which would be worth it in the old days - I just don't know what EY first looks like right now !
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:52 am
wsc

Originally Posted by atsak
Can UK Amex transfer to Aeroplan? They show Etihad availability at reasonable rates I've found.
Unfortunately not!

And looks like Etihad is scrapping most of F... very sad, I wanted to try it out, looked amazing!
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by wsc
Unfortunately not!

And looks like Etihad is scrapping most of F... very sad, I wanted to try it out, looked amazing!
It absolutely was. Thai had the best ground services I found, but Etihad's apartment was . . . really unbelievable. The residence too - I never got to fly that but they did let me look around in there when I was flying in First. I'm really glad I got to do it - sorry you didn't; I think Singapore's is apparently very similar by looking at pictures so maybe you could try that using Krisflyer ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.