Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Please!!! No more first class, used miles to book and want a refund!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Hi, I’m new to this so apologies in advance.

long story short, to top up my miles. I purchased about £1100 worth of miles and then claimed a first class rewards seat LHR-AUH next February.

etihad no longer have first class for the flight I wanted.

I now want a full refund (£1100 in airmiles bought + £550 in taxes)

is this possible or what advice would you guys have? I don’t want to fly with them anymore as it’s already been a headache.
this sort of thing happened last year - first class got removed when I was due to fly to Tokyo and it took 6 MONTHS! Worth of emails and calls to get some miles back!

help please!!! Thanks!!!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Nick Abundance

long story short, to top up my miles. I purchased about £1100 worth of miles and then claimed a first class rewards seat LHR-AUH next February.

is this possible or what advice would you guys have? I don’t want to fly with them anymore as it’s already been a headache.
this sort of thing happened last year - first class got removed when I was due to fly to Tokyo and it took 6 MONTHS! Worth of emails and calls to get some miles back!

help please!!! Thanks!!!
They will refund the tax if they cancelled your original flight. But I doubt they will refund the miles. What did the T&C's say when you bought the miles?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

help please!!! Thanks!!!
If it happened last year, then you were obviously aware that it could happen again. I certainly doubt they will refund you cash for the miles you purchased.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:14 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

help please!!! Thanks!!!
So has EY offered to change your flight to one with F or downgrade you to J and refund the miles?

Both options should be on the table.

They definitely won't refund you cash for miles purchased.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
They will refund the tax if they cancelled your original flight. But I doubt they will refund the miles. What did the T&C's say when you bought the miles?
thanks! I couldn’t find the TCs regarding to a refund of payment from miles if they couldn’t do the flight. It’s not the greatest website for that lol
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If it happened last year, then you were obviously aware that it could happen again. I certainly doubt they will refund you cash for the miles you purchased.
Yes, but I can’t go into every booking thinking this could be downgraded.

also that particular route was Abu Dhabi to Tokyo which was affected. Didn’t think london to auh would be downgraded!
And I didn’t want to fly with them ever again now, but with 90,000 miles I wasn’t going to let them go to waste.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
So has EY offered to change your flight to one with F or downgrade you to J and refund the miles?

Both options should be on the table.

They definitely won't refund you cash for miles purchased.
I’ve now settled with changing the flight to another time with first class- this was smooth thank the lord!

i couldn’t take a refund of miles - it took 6 months of endless chasing to try to get my miles back when they downgraded my flight AUH-NRT last year which is why I wanted the refund.

I know it must be in the TCs that a refund isn’t possible but is it so unreasonable to think that if I buy a load of miles for a specific flight and that flight is no longer available, I should get be able to get a refund??

thanks so much! Let’s hope it stays that way and Etihad stays in business!
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you have the option of cancelling the ticket without penalty, the miles will be returned to your account, but you shouldn't expect a refund (in money) for the purchase of the miles. Normally the purchase of miles is nonrefundable, just like the transfer of credit card or hotel points to miles is irreversible. Taxes should be refunded to the original means of payment (credit card for example), and the same for any tax difference if you accept business class or some other route.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you have the option of cancelling the ticket without penalty, the miles will be returned to your account, but you shouldn't expect a refund (in money) for the purchase of the miles. Normally the purchase of miles is nonrefundable, just like the transfer of credit card or hotel points to miles is irreversible. Taxes should be refunded to the original means of payment (credit card for example), and the same for any tax difference if you accept business class or some other route.
Thanks! Maybe it’s just me being naive but I would’ve thought if it’s their fault then a refund for miles paid isn’t unreasonable?!!

ah well, thanks for that! I’ve rescheduled the flight.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Thanks! Maybe it’s just me being naive but I would’ve thought if it’s their fault then a refund for miles paid isn’t unreasonable?!!

You can never count 100% that an award is going to be available when you buy or transfer miles. That’s the nature of the beast.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM

If you want to get your money back if something changes, you need to purchase a first class ticket with money.

When you pay with miles, that is what you are supposed to get back if cancelled.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Maybe it’s just me being naive but I would’ve thought if it’s their fault then a refund for miles paid isn’t unreasonable?!!
You're thinking of it as one transaction, when it is actually two:

1. You bought £1,100 worth of miles. Purchase of miles is non-refundable. You now have x number of miles.
2. You spent x number of miles to buy a First Class ticket. This is refundable - ie: if you cancel, they will give you x number of miles back. This doesn't make transaction number 1 refundable for cash.
nancypants and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I’ve now settled with changing the flight to another time with first class- this was smooth thank the lord!

i couldn’t take a refund of miles - it took 6 months of endless chasing to try to get my miles back when they downgraded my flight AUH-NRT last year which is why I wanted the refund.

I know it must be in the TCs that a refund isn’t possible but is it so unreasonable to think that if I buy a load of miles for a specific flight and that flight is no longer available, I should get be able to get a refund??

thanks so much! Let’s hope it stays that way and Etihad stays in business!
When you buy miles, you're exchanging one currency (GBP) for another (miles). There's no guarantee those miles won't drop in value, and while I can see why you would be frustrated, I don't think there's ever been a single data point of any program refunding a mileage purchase months after the fact.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
My take on the issue is that EY must refund your miles or re-accommodate you on another flight with F, OR refund the mileage to your account along with the fees.
They will not, as per the T&C's refund the miles you bought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.