Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Platinum - when does a guaranteed economy seat not mean a guaranteed seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

I want to book a flight for next week which is sold out in economy. No problem I thought, as a platinum guest I am meant to get a guaranteed seat, provided booked more than 12 hours in advance.

However, Etihad has said that they cannot offer me a seat.. because there is no availability - which is the only circumstance in which the guarantee would be useful.

Has as anybody else experienced this? I thought it was a mistake - but it’s been confirmed by the platinum guest team on twitter.

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
That's a shock, one of the perks of being Platinum! I thought they would be simply bump someone according to the T&Cs - https://www.etihadguest.com/en/our-p...ers_and_Status

Did you meet the requirements in Notes 4 & 5? Maybe your intended ticket wasn't the full Y fare?

- Applicable to guests that are travelling on all Etihad Airways operated flights. Excluding discounted tickets.
- Bookable in the highest Economy and Business class fare (Corporate fares or Abu Dhabi Government Employees Travel Programme discounts are not allowed). Multi-flyer tickets are not eligible for this benefit.

I would check with EY Platinum Guest team - [email protected] - rather than Twitter team.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, yes I meet all of the conditions that is why it is particularly puzzling. It’s a good job that I wasn’t hoping to book a flight with 13 hours notice - as I’d have now missed it given how long it is taking to resolve.

Thanks for the tip tip on emailing the team - I did last night, no response yet. Fingers crossed.

If the key benefit isnt offered it does suggest yet another degredation in the benefits Platinum status offers.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Gelksy
Thanks, yes I meet all of the conditions that is why it is particularly puzzling. It’s a good job that I wasn’t hoping to book a flight with 13 hours notice - as I’d have now missed it given how long it is taking to resolve.

Thanks for the tip tip on emailing the team - I did last night, no response yet. Fingers crossed.

If the key benefit isnt offered it does suggest yet another degredation in the benefits Platinum status offers.
I would book with another airline instead. Paying full Y fare sounds expensive.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:10 am
Original Poster

After a few more calls Etihad have now offered me a Y seat based on their guarantee. Unnecessarily long winded and undermines the value of the guarantee if you have to argue for the seat ... and seemingly staff don’t even know about it.
danial21 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I have to say it is a pretty stupid offer - yes they want to appeal to loyalty but if it means that another passenger is going to be thrown off the flight then that is going to be costly for the airline and not good for it's reputation -

it is the sort of thing that sounds great for the airline but of course they are hoping that no one is trying to claim on it for a fully booked flight
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Overbooking for airlines is nothing new... They have a very complex software system which determines how many to overbook and it predicts how many will be "no show" so offering a ticket on a sold out Y class is not big deal because they can always bump people up to J to make room and if let's suppose Y class fare is $2500 compared to cheapest being under $1000 . It would makes sense to show red flag to bottom ticket bucket holder.

For this very reason airlines often sell full fare tickets at the airport counter.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:24 am

Yes but this is offering a so called guarantee of a seat on a fully booked flight on the face of it does not make sense. Sure they can always gamble on a no show or bump someone into business if there is a seat.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: UAMP, DLSM, EYEG, QRPC
guestplatinum is getting worse now. It used to respond within a few hour but now they respond... if lucky within a few days...
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:05 am

No not guest platinum just another example of the airline going downhill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.