Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
2018 Devaluation

Anyone know when this is expected to hit? Would be good to have a target date to use our remaining miles.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:13 am

Jan 15th apparently.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Perfect - same end date as the QR Boutique Sale. Guess we'll have to plan our entire year this weekend!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:22 am

I'm challenged on this one. I only have around 30k miles, and they've said *some* routes would go down as well as up.

I'm expecting the major routes like LHR, SYD, JFK to go sky high - wondering if we might perhaps see minimal deductions on some Asia legs (30k for an India flight is pretty high imo).

I have flights booked through to September, so at a loss at what to spend my miles on..
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:27 am

I took a screenshot from the old website with the list of routes and miles....if I have time I will do a back to back and post it up.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dubh
I took a screenshot from the old website with the list of routes and miles....if I have time I will do a back to back and post it up.
oh, they announced the changes in advance?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by EFATO
oh, they announced the changes in advance?
no no. What I'm saying is I have the current mileage requirments, but the old website format listed all possible routes out. On the new website you have to go through route by route that you want to check.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dubh
no no. What I'm saying is I have the current mileage requirments, but the old website format listed all possible routes out. On the new website you have to go through route by route that you want to check.
ah, ok
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:21 am

So I just looked at Emirates redemptions for a Dubai > Chennai return, vs the *current* Etihad one (in J). Think Emirates may have a better J product on that route, though.

Emirates = 75,000 miles + AED 2,300 (?!?!?!)
Etihad = 52,000 miles + AED 650

Assuming they basically match up to rival airlines... not looking good.

---

Interestingly, the F route from Dubai to JFK is actually fairly reasonable on Emirates - and that's a route I had been expecting Etihad to hike.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Just don't expect anything positive from it and no info until the 15th as they're "Legally" not allowed to say anything
I just don't know what to burn 350K miles on and still requalify, I've decided I am going to wait for the new airport and then stick up two fingers if no change
FlyingDoctor likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:46 pm

Might take a while and I may regret it. Options are too slim whilst there is the Embargo with QR and Platinum on Emirates is only really possible if doing the Kangaroo route or living in the UAE so not an option. Air France KLM is meant to be ever improving so may just end up there as eight years makes lifetime...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:39 am

Indeed - I'm just going to have to bear whatever the changes are. I haven't got any good reason to burn my existing miles, so fingers crossed it isn't too tragic... but as you says the silence is very telling.

New terminal has been badly delayed, right? Can't see it being of huge benefit to me, anyway - pretty sure the subcontinent planes will be left in the old one.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Recondite
New terminal has been badly delayed, right? Can't see it being of huge benefit to me, anyway - pretty sure the subcontinent planes will be left in the old one.
I believe that all Etihad will go to the Midfield and open up many more slots and space for other airlines coming in to the 'old terminals'
this was part of the EAP plan and the delays to the terminal helped certainly to put pay to them
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Etihad, Krisflyer, BA Executive Club
I also am on the fence.

However, I have (at today's quotes) enough to get the 75% to buy the 25% I need for a business class redemption on LHR-AUH-BKK return. This is my regular route.

But the last devaluation saw roughly a 50% hike in miles/points required.

Thus, the circa 230k cost now might rise to 345k (I doubt it will go this high) but EY has already said that upgrades will become more expensive, points wise.

I might use my remaining 180k miles today and suffer if it goes against me rather than wait and find out that I have no options other than a cash out..
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
I believe that all Etihad will go to the Midfield and open up many more slots and space for other airlines coming in to the 'old terminals'
this was part of the EAP plan and the delays to the terminal helped certainly to put pay to them
Ah, that's great to hear (and was probably a little obvious!). Hope that is the case - a new (functional) terminal would ease some of the cuts, at least for me. A decent transit experience is vital - and Etihad (and their security lines) currently fail to deliver there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.