Search

AUH Transit 4 hours - leave airport?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
AUH Transit 4 hours - leave airport?

All,
I have a 4:15 transit in AUH, arriving from JFK at 11:45 AM connecting to a 4:00 PM flight. Is that enough time to leave the airport and go check out the Grand Mosque? I hold a US passport. Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:58 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I would say no, unless you want a very cursory visit. It will take about an hour for you to get off the plane, go through immigration and get a taxi to the mosque. It's probably about a 15 minute cab ride from the airport to t he mosque. And I would recommend that you be back at the airport at least 1.5 hours before your flight, assuming you already have your connecting boarding pass. I am assuming that you are not familiar with the airport so you need to allow for that. Yes, you could see the mosque in an hour, but it is big and beautiful and takes some time to see it all and truly appreciate it. Plus if you are a woman, you'll have to wear proper clothing or get a covering and headscarf from the clothing issue place, which is in the underground parking area. All these things add time. You certainly would not have time to take one of the free tours given there unless you arrived at exactly the right time when they give the tours..
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I would say no, unless you want a very cursory visit. It will take about an hour for you to get off the plane, go through immigration and get a taxi to the mosque. It's probably about a 15 minute cab ride from the airport to t he mosque. And I would recommend that you be back at the airport at least 1.5 hours before your flight, assuming you already have your connecting boarding pass. I am assuming that you are not familiar with the airport so you need to allow for that. Yes, you could see the mosque in an hour, but it is big and beautiful and takes some time to see it all and truly appreciate it. Plus if you are a woman, you'll have to wear proper clothing or get a covering and headscarf from the clothing issue place, which is in the underground parking area. All these things add time. You certainly would not have time to take one of the free tours given there unless you arrived at exactly the right time when they give the tours..
Thanks STBC. I guess I will make a game time decision - give it a shot if my flight from JFK comes in on time or before. Do cabs take credit card or do I have to get some Dirhams?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:57 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by sshank
Thanks STBC. I guess I will make a game time decision - give it a shot if my flight from JFK comes in on time or before. Do cabs take credit card or do I have to get some Dirhams?
Don't know. I've only used dirhams.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:55 am

Play it by ear. if you arrive early (on time) and immigration seems quick it would be worth it.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Taxis here in AD don’t accept cards ONLY cash at present. The idea has been mooted for a while and was supposed to be tested on the new Black Airport taxis. If any do accept they will be the exception.
I’ve been here 5 years and never seen any driver accepting card payments. Cash is king. Although cheap by many city standards there is a 25 AED flag fee for journeys starting at the airport, usually 5 elsewhere so bear that in mind. From AUH will be about 75 AED return nearer 55 AED.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by JayCee1966
Taxis here in AD don’t accept cards ONLY cash at present. The idea has been mooted for a while and was supposed to be tested on the new Black Airport taxis. If any do accept they will be the exception.
I’ve been here 5 years and never seen any driver accepting card payments. Cash is king. Although cheap by many city standards there is a 25 AED flag fee for journeys starting at the airport, usually 5 elsewhere so bear that in mind. From AUH will be about 75 AED return nearer 55 AED.
Is uber or similar still running? I think it was shut down a while back?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
Is uber or similar still running? I think it was shut down a while back?
Nah, still gone. There is Uber in Dubai though....for some reason.

We do have "Careem" here in AUH, but I've only ever used it for trips to DXB.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I would not recommend leaving the aiport at all on such a short layover - no matter how early your first flight may get in. Unless missing that second flight and having to buy a new ticket is no biggie. Then go for it.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I would not recommend leaving the aiport at all on such a short layover - no matter how early your first flight may get in. Unless missing that second flight and having to buy a new ticket is no biggie. Then go for it.
+1

The mosque is indeed worth a visit, but if you run into any delay (e.g., getting a taxi for the trip back to the airport, long lines once back there) you're in trouble. Plus there's the matter of what to do with whatever carry-on bag you might have with you.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
On the way out of the airport just ask that your passport is enrolled into the E-Gate scheme. Then when you get back just walk through the First class check in and use the machine there, no one will stop you. Then you automatically are in the fastest scanning queues. If you can miss one of the waves of passengers hitting the airport this should take less than five minutes and max fifteen if in a long scanning queue

Where is the 4PM to ? Also if it isn't around the corner I'll happily post you a fast track card to get out quicker - unless you're already in Biz. Just remember to enrol at immigration to the e-Gate system
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:35 pm

+2
It would be a very rush job and bit inconvenient even with very light hand luggage. Better enjoy the lounge and save mosque for next layover.
AUH is not a place to miss flight. (Rule of thumb in UAE: avoid being in situation where you need to interact anyone with white traditional dress)
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by desi
+2
(Rule of thumb in UAE: avoid being in situation where you need to interact anyone with white traditional dress)
Not true, there are many nice Emirati's.
However, avoid being in a situation where you interact with the locals in police/army uniform - many are egotistical bustards.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by DatBoi
Not true, there are many nice Emirati's.
However, avoid being in a situation where you interact with the locals in police/army uniform - many are egotistical bustards.
Thanks for correcting. That's exactly what I meant. (Of course didn't want to offend emiratis in general - most of them are very nice people.)
It is those low-to-mid level persons with authority over you who will do their best to let you know that they have power over you at that very moment. Can (and will) make life miserable for you. (if you are white, you may get some consideration compared to Asians but not necessarily)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.