Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when held awards expire?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
What happens when held awards expire?

I just booked a EY F Apartment award through AA.
I just don't have the miles in my account yet, I need to transfer from SPG, and they told me they could only hold the award for one day.

What will happen once that time runs out?
Will the award automatically go back into inventory (since it was never ticketed)?

Or is it up to EY to decide if they want to make it bookable again or not?

Or will it be gone?

Really need to find out if I want to take the risk of transferring my starpoints... Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I just booked a EY F Apartment award through AA.
I just don't have the miles in my account yet, I need to transfer from SPG, and they told me they could only hold the award for one day.

What will happen once that time runs out?
Will the award automatically go back into inventory (since it was never ticketed)?

Or is it up to EY to decide if they want to make it bookable again or not?

Or will it be gone?

Really need to find out if I want to take the risk of transferring my starpoints... Thanks!
Please move this to the AA section - it's an AA matter and also we have our own civil wAAr on the EY subsection
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Not really, I don't think it has anything to do with AA, as the decision is completely EY's - isn't it?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
AA award holds are generally for 5 days. If you do not complete the sale prior to the expiration date, the seat gets released. Sometimes it goes back into award inventory, but sometimes it does not.

Are you trying to book an award within 14 days from departure? If so, these would only be eligible for the 1 day hold.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:15 pm

OP has asked the same question also in the AA forum, EY award booking thread.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Yes, within 2 weeks of departure. Thank you!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:20 am

Difficult to tell. If the loads on the flight are light it is likely to return. If heavy unlikely. Check on expertflyer to see loads.

Last edited by erik123; Nov 11, 2017 at 9:51 am
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Not really, I don't think it has anything to do with AA, as the decision is completely EY's - isn't it?
You booked with AA miles through AAdvantage. This is the Etihad Guest forum.

Nobody here can do what you did; very few people here will have AA miles.

The forum you use to post your question - especially when it relates to making an actual award booking - is dictated by the program you are using. @:-)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:38 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
This question was asked by the OP in the American forum. Please direct further responses here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29044931

l'etoile
senior moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.