Wiki Posts
Search

Ramadan.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Ramadan.

Y'all. I am not new to traveling this part of the world, nor am new to Ramadan rules. Yet, somehow it escaped me that my Etihad first class flight from Cairo to Abu Dhabi would be sans alcohol because of Ramadan. This was disappointing but manageable. My real question is whether my AUH-US flight in a few days will be serving alcohol. Does anyone know?? It's not mandatory, but I'd like some nice bubbly with my 16-hour flight, thank you very much...
Old May 31, 2017, 2:32 pm

I've flown AUH-USA numerous times on EY during Ramadan in F. The alcohol is just as free-flowing on these sectors as ever.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
What they did last year in F AUH-BOM (A380) was pour in the galley, they wouldn't carry the bottle through the cabin. Was a bit disappointed when my Corona arrived in a glass (or was it Peroni? Either way...)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:31 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Same this year, alcohol is being served as usual but they don't bring the bottles into the cabin. Just the filled up glass.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by NLflyer26
Y'all. I am not new to traveling this part of the world, nor am new to Ramadan rules. Yet, somehow it escaped me that my Etihad first class flight from Cairo to Abu Dhabi would be sans alcohol because of Ramadan. This was disappointing but manageable. My real question is whether my AUH-US flight in a few days will be serving alcohol. Does anyone know?? It's not mandatory, but I'd like some nice bubbly with my 16-hour flight, thank you very much...
Won't be an issue.
No drinks on flights between Muslim countries during Ramadan is the usual default. Flying long haul will be as normal.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you ask on the Cairo flight? Were passengers allowed to bring their own alcohol and have the FAs serve it, as is done on some middle eastern carriers?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:27 am

There could be restrictions in the lounge in AUH, but no restrictions on the flight.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
I believe during daylight hours there is no alcohol served in the AUH lounges during Ramadan.
I remember reading that the bar is all closed up during daylight hours time, although not sure if you can still order a drink from the floor staff.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:01 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
This comes up every, single year.

Yes you order alcohol in lounges and on board. In the lounge the bar will appear closed but staff will serve you. There are NO restrictions in flight or any routes (except, perhaps Saudi Arabian flights).
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
All good!

I did ask for champagne on CAI-AUH, which is how I know it was not allowed, but did not ask about BYOB (nor did I realize that was an option!). The AUH lounge had a sign that said alcohol is served only 19:15-03:00. It was approx. 08:00 when I was there and I did not ask whether mimosas were on offer

Happy to report that all is well on long-haul F. Was offered juice or champagne (and wifi!) upon boarding!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:41 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I did ask for champagne on CAI-AUH, which is how I know it was not allowed, but did not ask about BYOB (nor did I realize that was an option!). The AUH lounge had a sign that said alcohol is served only 19:15-03:00. It was approx. 08:00 when I was there and I did not ask whether mimosas were on offer

Happy to report that all is well on long-haul F. Was offered juice or champagne (and wifi!) upon boarding!
Definitely not brand standard (CAI-AUH). Perhaps they ran out AUH-CAI?

Worth following up with EY.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Definitely no alcohol on any of the GCC routes in Ramadan at any time of day.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by m0hamed
This comes up every, single year.

Yes you order alcohol in lounges and on board. In the lounge the bar will appear closed but staff will serve you. There are NO restrictions in flight or any routes (except, perhaps Saudi Arabian flights).
Wrong about lounges. I'm in the AUH business lounge now. The bar is definitely closed and no options for booze delivery from waiters (during daylight hours)

Maybe first class lounge is different.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:36 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Wrong about lounges. I'm in the AUH business lounge now. The bar is definitely closed and no options for booze delivery from waiters (during daylight hours)

Maybe first class lounge is different.
I will be in F lounge at AUH next week (at Breakfast) & will see if Champagne is available upon request. Purely in the interests of research
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NoY
I will be in F lounge at AUH next week (at Breakfast) & will see if Champagne is available upon request. Purely in the interests of research
I am there now and it is not.

I was hoping that a brandy might be available in the cigar room, but only after 7:15 PM apparently.

No alchohol in the F lounge at all during daylight hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.