Ramadan.

Old May 31, 17, 2:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Posts: 10
Ramadan.

Y'all. I am not new to traveling this part of the world, nor am new to Ramadan rules. Yet, somehow it escaped me that my Etihad first class flight from Cairo to Abu Dhabi would be sans alcohol because of Ramadan. This was disappointing but manageable. My real question is whether my AUH-US flight in a few days will be serving alcohol. Does anyone know?? It's not mandatory, but I'd like some nice bubbly with my 16-hour flight, thank you very much...
NLflyer26 is offline  
Old May 31, 17, 3:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,309
I've flown AUH-USA numerous times on EY during Ramadan in F. The alcohol is just as free-flowing on these sectors as ever.
jasondc is offline  
Old Jun 1, 17, 3:54 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,784
What they did last year in F AUH-BOM (A380) was pour in the galley, they wouldn't carry the bottle through the cabin. Was a bit disappointed when my Corona arrived in a glass (or was it Peroni? Either way...)
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Jun 1, 17, 7:31 am
  #4  
Formerly known as koeche
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Switzerland
Programs: LX SEN, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 7, Adobe Creative Suite
Posts: 210
Same this year, alcohol is being served as usual but they don't bring the bottles into the cabin. Just the filled up glass.
CheckInPeach is offline  
Old Jun 1, 17, 7:48 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Knoteetingham
Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Posts: 311
Originally Posted by NLflyer26 View Post
Y'all. I am not new to traveling this part of the world, nor am new to Ramadan rules. Yet, somehow it escaped me that my Etihad first class flight from Cairo to Abu Dhabi would be sans alcohol because of Ramadan. This was disappointing but manageable. My real question is whether my AUH-US flight in a few days will be serving alcohol. Does anyone know?? It's not mandatory, but I'd like some nice bubbly with my 16-hour flight, thank you very much...
Won't be an issue.
No drinks on flights between Muslim countries during Ramadan is the usual default. Flying long haul will be as normal.
Reds2011 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 17, 7:57 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,122
Originally Posted by NLflyer26 View Post
Y'all. I am not new to traveling this part of the world, nor am new to Ramadan rules. Yet, somehow it escaped me that my Etihad first class flight from Cairo to Abu Dhabi would be sans alcohol because of Ramadan. This was disappointing but manageable. My real question is whether my AUH-US flight in a few days will be serving alcohol. Does anyone know?? It's not mandatory, but I'd like some nice bubbly with my 16-hour flight, thank you very much...
Did you ask on the Cairo flight? Were passengers allowed to bring their own alcohol and have the FAs serve it, as is done on some middle eastern carriers?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 1, 17, 9:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,039
There could be restrictions in the lounge in AUH, but no restrictions on the flight.
thbe is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 10:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ARN
Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Posts: 451
I believe during daylight hours there is no alcohol served in the AUH lounges during Ramadan.
I remember reading that the bar is all closed up during daylight hours time, although not sure if you can still order a drink from the floor staff.
flylonghaul is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 11:01 pm
  #9  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,924
This comes up every, single year.

Yes you order alcohol in lounges and on board. In the lounge the bar will appear closed but staff will serve you. There are NO restrictions in flight or any routes (except, perhaps Saudi Arabian flights).
m0hamed is offline  
Old Jun 3, 17, 2:21 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Posts: 10
All good!

I did ask for champagne on CAI-AUH, which is how I know it was not allowed, but did not ask about BYOB (nor did I realize that was an option!). The AUH lounge had a sign that said alcohol is served only 19:15-03:00. It was approx. 08:00 when I was there and I did not ask whether mimosas were on offer

Happy to report that all is well on long-haul F. Was offered juice or champagne (and wifi!) upon boarding!
NLflyer26 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 17, 2:41 am
  #11  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,924
Originally Posted by NLflyer26 View Post
I did ask for champagne on CAI-AUH, which is how I know it was not allowed, but did not ask about BYOB (nor did I realize that was an option!). The AUH lounge had a sign that said alcohol is served only 19:15-03:00. It was approx. 08:00 when I was there and I did not ask whether mimosas were on offer

Happy to report that all is well on long-haul F. Was offered juice or champagne (and wifi!) upon boarding!
Definitely not brand standard (CAI-AUH). Perhaps they ran out AUH-CAI?

Worth following up with EY.
m0hamed is offline  
Old Jun 3, 17, 3:32 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 324
Definitely no alcohol on any of the GCC routes in Ramadan at any time of day.
sabdhabi is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 11:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: Global Mercenary
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
This comes up every, single year.

Yes you order alcohol in lounges and on board. In the lounge the bar will appear closed but staff will serve you. There are NO restrictions in flight or any routes (except, perhaps Saudi Arabian flights).
Wrong about lounges. I'm in the AUH business lounge now. The bar is definitely closed and no options for booze delivery from waiters (during daylight hours)

Maybe first class lounge is different.
vj_rama is offline  
Old Jun 8, 17, 1:36 am
  #14  
NoY
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phuket & London
Programs: BA Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR bye bye, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,719
Originally Posted by vj_rama View Post
Wrong about lounges. I'm in the AUH business lounge now. The bar is definitely closed and no options for booze delivery from waiters (during daylight hours)

Maybe first class lounge is different.
I will be in F lounge at AUH next week (at Breakfast) & will see if Champagne is available upon request. Purely in the interests of research
NoY is offline  
Old Jun 10, 17, 3:00 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
I will be in F lounge at AUH next week (at Breakfast) & will see if Champagne is available upon request. Purely in the interests of research
I am there now and it is not.

I was hoping that a brandy might be available in the cigar room, but only after 7:15 PM apparently.

No alchohol in the F lounge at all during daylight hours.
catharsis is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: