Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum gets squat arriving in DOH

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Platinum gets squat arriving in DOH

Just landed into Doha, we'll over a thousand people ahead of me in the immigration queue and only three counters open. Each person taking minimum three minutes to process. Hmmmm

Platinum gets diddly squat here unless you've flown in J or I have been hoodwinked

Had to blow Qar 375 to buy ridiculously overpriced walk through a non queue area.

Amazing new airport, ridiculous walking times as a result and massive let down by immigration

Could've put that money towards flying J in the first place!!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:21 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
What were you expecting? Did you research what would be available as a Y pax arriving in one of the airline’s outstations? Has anything been cut?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by NoY
What were you expecting? Did you research what would be available as a Y pax arriving in one of the airline’s outstations? Has anything been cut?
I don't fly within the Gulf all that often, but I did fly to DOH recently in J. There is a fast track for J (and F) guests. Show security the boarding pass and they let you in the fast track line. As a fellow Plat, I'm assuming that if I flew in Y, I could also use the fast track line, but I have no experience of this. Worth asking the cabin crew next time round.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Generally where there is a differentiated immigration, gold and Platinum guests are availed access to it. For example Fastrak in London.

It was as much the lack of open desks and the obvious number of hours that it would have taken to clear that I suppose really wound me up. Jaded by never having had a good experience through Doha even in J (Never on QA though which likely would have helped)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:12 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Generally where there is a differentiated immigration, gold and Platinum guests are availed access to it. For example Fastrak in London.

It was as much the lack of open desks and the obvious number of hours that it would have taken to clear that I suppose really wound me up. Jaded by never having had a good experience through Doha even in J (Never on QA though which likely would have helped)
So, to clarify the answer to my 3 questions: No, no & no
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:53 am

DOH is just particularly slow because they take payment at the immigration desk, on top of the inefficiency common in the region.

Doesn't sound like you missed out on anything that was promised. There is no "generally" when it comes to Fast Track eligibility all around the world.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Poster

I was referring to generally on Etihad. Where fast track exists you usually get access to it

Serves me right for using Y
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by stargold
.... There is no "generally" when it comes to Fast Track eligibility all around the world.
Precisely. BA doesn't fast track Y class pax who are Gold, even at Heathrow.

Given the hot competition between the ME3 airlines, I think it's a bit rich to have a go at EY over this; if I ran Doha airport , I imagine I would feel some pressure to not extend fast track courtesies too far to pax who aren't travelling on QR.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

There are several places where Etihad currently gives Gold and Platinum Y travellers a 'FastTrak' such as London

Most airports will happily do this as the airline must pay for it, even for the Premium travellers.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Although I'm all for perks as an EY guest member, I've had enough of benefits for Y passengers, when will airlines give benefits to J and F passengers?? Those who are gold and platinum are probably mostly flying J or F anyway. Yet the benefits of being Platinum or Gold are next to nothing if flying in J or F!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:12 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by akalra1187
Although I'm all for perks as an EY guest member, I've had enough of benefits for Y passengers, when will airlines give benefits to J and F passengers?? Those who are gold and platinum are probably mostly flying J or F anyway. Yet the benefits of being Platinum or Gold are next to nothing if flying in J or F!
Very true. The only benefit that I personally use from Plat is the F lounge at AUH & gifting gold to someone. Not complaining, but Plat benefits are, lets say, thin at EY (as indeed they are at EK)
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:13 pm
NoY

There are several places where Etihad currently gives Gold and Platinum Y travellers a 'FastTrak' such as London

Most airports will happily do this as the airline must pay for it, even for the Premium travellers.
Please list the “several places”, as I am not aware of any & it would be a useful reference point for the forum @:-)
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
Very true. The only benefit that I personally use from Plat is the F lounge at AUH & gifting gold to someone. Not complaining, but Plat benefits are, lets say, thin at EY (as indeed they are at EK)
Even thinner at QR, where you don't even get to use the "nice" QR lounges anywhere in the world!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:25 pm

I thought departure security FT was strictly for F/J. Do they give you a sticker or something on the boarding pass?

For arrival FT, I assume they find you in the Y cabin before landing and give you a FT pass?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:29 am
NoY

Originally Posted by stargold
Even thinner at QR, where you don't even get to use the "nice" QR lounges anywhere in the world!
Yikes!

Part of the problem is that as I fly almost exclusively in J or F (apart from the very occasional short-haul route) & the benefits of “top tier” memberships are therefore pretty much....well, nothing meaningful really

One benefit of Platinum on QR (not for all of course) is Oneworld Emerald status (some very decent lounges in HKG/SYD for example) which can be a useful perk at outstations where OW have a presence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.