Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

EY made a major mistake on my booking, so what to do 9 hours in AUH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IB G; EY S

Dear all,

I hope that some of you guys,or girls , have some experience about long layovers in AUH.

I am like 99% sure, that I had the correct flights chosen, which would have been a 2h layover, how ever somehow incorrect flights were booked, and EY is not feeling like they should help
I did some research my self but the major part of "guides" is for daytime.
So do you have any tips on what to do in AUH in the middle of the night (00 -09 AM)?
I hold AB Gold, so I can access Al Reem Lounge, but I dont want to sit there 9 hours, because the Lounge is actually pretty small and only has breakfast, so I not even get a proper dinner
I hold german citizenship, so visa free entry will be possible, I ve never been to Abu Dhabi city before, but not sure if there is something worth seeing mid night. It will be the night from 24/25th March, maybe you know about any cool events which take place on those dates.
I dont want to spend a lot of money, as I am a poor student and travelling is more like a hobby for me, so paying a couple of hundred bucks for a hotel isnt the way I want.

Any idea would be appreciated
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
I assume there is not too much going on in Abu Dhabi in the middle of the night.

i personally would book a room in the Premier Inn just across the road (60€).

Since a few month did they also open a "rest area" in the airport (between t1&3). I am not sure what that would cost, but it seems possible to spend a few hours there as well.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There is a an Airport transit hotel ~ $78 which may well be worth it. I didn't have visa and had a long delay recently. Even with the lounge it was really hard being there as AUH is really busy from midnight to 3 AM. I would suggest take the Aerotel transit hotel or Premier Inn
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by PatongPilot
I dont want to spend a lot of money, as I am a poor student and travelling is more like a hobby for me, so paying a couple of hundred bucks for a hotel isnt the way I want.

Another vote for the Premier Inn at the airport.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the Premier Inn suggestion, I will consider this (:

Does anyone have experience whether I will be able to access the lounge 9hours befor actual flight?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by PatongPilot
Dear all,

I hope that some of you guys,or girls , have some experience about long layovers in AUH.

I am like 99% sure, that I had the correct flights chosen, which would have been a 2h layover, how ever somehow incorrect flights were booked, and EY is not feeling like they should help
I did some research my self but the major part of "guides" is for daytime.
So do you have any tips on what to do in AUH in the middle of the night (00 -09 AM)?
I hold AB Gold, so I can access Al Reem Lounge, but I dont want to sit there 9 hours, because the Lounge is actually pretty small and only has breakfast, so I not even get a proper dinner
I hold german citizenship, so visa free entry will be possible, I ve never been to Abu Dhabi city before, but not sure if there is something worth seeing mid night. It will be the night from 24/25th March, maybe you know about any cool events which take place on those dates.

If it was me, I would pay to have a sleep somewhere as others suggested.

The Al-Reem lounge does do food other than breakfasts. Two weeks ago I ate dinner items in the buffet. That was about midnight.

I couldn't face a nine hour layover in any lounge. The premier Inn seems reasonably priced for a good nights sleep.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

I will arrive after midnight, landing at 00:05, probably need to walk to Al Reem to the security check, and last times I went to al reem in the night there just was breakfast.

Luckily I had an Upgrade on the 787 to J on my flight where I could get the etihad sandwiches who served me as dinner
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: FB Blue, BA EC Blue, HH, Etihad Silver
Another option is using a sleeping pod: http://www.abudhabiairport.ae/englis...ping-pods.aspx

Never tried it, but could be interesting for some hours sleep. For longer periods it can get pretty expensive though.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:56 pm

I had a simulator night layover. I arrived at 10 pm, took a bus to city center. Went to a cheap restaurant and then Just walked around for three hours. Indeed, everything was closed at night but the skyline is impressie ( no skyscrapers in Belgium). Around 3 am I started looking for a taxi and then Just waited at the airport for my next flight.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:39 pm

Had two of those overnight stopovers at AUH on the way to / from Africa. Were too tired on the way there, stayed at Crowne Plaza for the right and had dinner at the Lebanese restaurant in the hotel. Very good experience with IHG Plat Elite, free drinks and a decent discount at the restaurant. On the way back we rented a car, drove around Abu Dhabi for a bit, went to a nice restaurant for dinner and spent the night at Dusit Thani. Each hotel stay cost us around ~$100. If you're feeling really advantageous you can get a car for ~$40-50 and drive to Dubai. Gas is cheap, and it would probably take you ~1.5 hrs each way.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:49 pm

you also have the option of transit or departure gold package offered by etihad which includes their premium lounge.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:34 am

As a poor student I would stay at the Al-Reem lounge. All other options need to spend money for.

I know that situation from the irrops I had to experience. In that case on F/C and as a Plat I've got limousine and 5* hotels for free. But even then I would consider to stay at the lounge. Of course the breakfast and the shower are better, but you lose time for transfer and check in/check out. And Abu Dhabi by night is very far away from Berlin by night. It's even worse than Munich.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: EY Gold
One other option to consider: the hotel bars on Yas Island are very near the airport, and will be open until 2-3am the evening of your arrival. If you want to check out the nightlife before getting some shut-eye in the airport hotel, a taxi there would take about 15 minutes.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I have one more question though.
If I leave the airport at like 1 and want to get back to the lounge at like 3, will I be able to get past security at this time?
I am a bit worried that they wont let me pass as its "too early"
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:24 am

No reason to worry about that. You and your luggage are already checked-in for the next flight. Your flight is on the same day. You can pass security and immigration. No problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.